Xojo Hmmmm 🤔

In fact, remote diagnostics are not allowed and as always with bug hunting, one needs to fully understand the problem before one can draw the right conclusion. But according to the International Classification of Diseases, there are at least hard and comprehensible indicators that point to a possible pathological event.

A disorder characterized by an enduring pattern of grandiose beliefs and arrogant behavior together with an overwhelming need for admiration and a lack of empathy for (and even exploitation of) others.

The “exploitation of others” could possibly manifest itself by banning people like you :wink:

Source: American ICD-10-CM F60.81

1 Like

I’m always wondering why some people are allowed to personal attacks without being suspended or otherwise sanctioned. And it’s always the same set of guys.

I said Stupid when not able to read. You spoke about licensing Issues of Java which not exist. That you want them to exist will not be true also not that with GTK and GO you can at the moment release GO single binary while that is not existing at the moment and also not GTK Desktop Software while the GO-GTK has too many Bugs and is still in early beta. nobody should use it in production while it is not stable at all. And reading the Issues around showing me exactly that.

And yes, it makes me Angry when and if somebody which is getting the Informations served that he is not right starts bitching and arguing why he is still right. Sorry, you are not.

And after all of that starting to cut out the rest of the spoken words is not only not fair it is also not true. While I said that not personally to you I said that to the community. Means: I did not meant you. But if you are not willing to follow any argument and telling me that I am wrong where I am right and on top that Java has licensing issues there is the need that I am arguing about.

Why? Simple. I am releasing Software with this Code, If there would be any licensing Issue, what would that mean to me? It is a criminal act to use not licensed Software. I would be criminal. That is at the end what you said with it. And, be careful with something like it, that is not okay to say. you could say there was a discussion. But you said: there are licensing issues. That is a clear and simple: LIE.

So I am of course not willing to let that stand as the end of a conversation. and while you are not happy with that what you are getting as return you are again complaining. That is not a discussion then.

You could try to follow the line and you would get: there is no GTK GO at the moment and even the link you showed up for the GTK GO single binary shows: it is not even once released as alpha, it is in early stage of Development. What came up when I said not usable: Java has licensing Issues.

and from this point on you think and believe that that is discussion? I am sorry for that. You should rethink.

Indeed. Well, it’s been suggested that calling people “stupid when not able to read”; claiming “no Answer” after an arbitrarily short time is evidence for an argument; posting a topic a topic based on a false dichotomy and again, because no one responded after an arbitrarily short time, claiming the setup turned out as expected and that’s evidence of some point… well these are all just “cultural differences and nuances in the choice of words”. I supposed it’s possible.

It’s unfortunate because there could have been an informative discussion about how the Java licensing change impacted customers in regulated and audited industries with IT security controls that don’t allow for the offered solution of “OpenJDK and that’s it”, and how Oracle continues to modify the license as a result of the situation; it was definitely a headache, if not a showstopper for some. But when it’s been asserted that “there is no licensing debacle and there was never one” and “licensing Issues of Java which not exist” and so “sorry, you are not [right]”, seems somewhat pointless to even enter into that more nuanced discussion.

Responding to each and every thing in these lengthy posts – especially all the ones never written but somehow implied – is tedious. It’s not clear to me why every forward-looking idea and question about experience with some tool or library has to immediately be cast as “it’s not production ready”. Obviously, and that’s not the claim or purpose. Every toolkit and language had to start somewhere, and people had to invest time to make them into what they are today. Those are completely different discussions than “what tool should I use for my business today?” Apples and oranges, as we (culturally) say.

So, it’s hard to reconcile the call to “bring up the engagement to fill the forum with life and positive discussions” with the responses to discussions about Go, GTK or other “hardcore looking platforms”, Lazarus, Python, .NET, GTK#, WinDev, Vala… it’s sad to see that some of these other members are less active or inactive, as I valued their insights.

there is no need for any Discussion. Since OpenJDK is open Sourced with Classpath Exeption there is no licensing discussion. This Discussion was never there. It came up when Oracle told the public that Java 8 and Java 11 will not be free to use anymore. What they meant: Java JDK. What what it is not: OpenJDK. That are two different worlds. And the licensing of Oracle was about the Support. While Oracle said when and if we spend support we want to get paid for. If you dan’t want it download OpenJDK.

This is a phantom discussion. There is NO and was NEVER any licensing Issue with Java. That was clearly stated by Oracle from the first day. And they never claimed that OpenJDK Download is violating JDK license. Not one Second. Never.

As Addon:

Many Industries buying their Support from OpenJDK Partners like AZUL, Liberica (Bell-Soft) and other from Oracle. There is also no harming while there is no change for anybody in the Industry. Only you tend to see something what is not there. It is a Ghost Discussion and maybe I am a bit to aggressive about that while I had that kind of Discussions over and over. And Everybody can read. If you would read you would get to this informations:

Oracle Java SE Licensing is described here:

And OpenJDK licensing is described here:

that article describes the difference.

And show stopping it was for nobody- all users I had before I had also after but some of them changes to OpenJDK and some used JDK from Oracle and some OpenJDK from Oracle. What the Heck, There was no Licensing Issue. The Issue was: where I will get my Support

How to deal with that exquisite collection of skeletons in the cupboard wasn’t part of the ‘Thank you MVPs‘ post.
Someone had to explicitly ask for it:
https://forum.xojo.com/t/archived-bugs/75033

1 Like

If you find an archived bug, that is still relevant, please comment there.

If it’s your bug, you should have a button to reopen it.

I’ll try to explain this procedure to my customers tomorrow, if you don’t hear from me again, then it was as successful as I suspect. MVP probably stands for Minimum Viable Product.

1 Like

Shot:

Chaser

From: Programming with AI - Off-Topic - Xojo Programming Forum

1 Like

It is actually possible that some of the code helpers in the works wouldn’t be that hard to integrate into Xojo. Cody from SourceGraph for example. Those will be trained on the corpus of public repositories (including the handful of Xojo ones) and could be additionally trained on your own codebase. Unfortunately in the case of SourceGraph they seem to be doing their own plugins so they’d need a reason to do a Xojo one. And I can’t think of one, lol.

Right now they have a plugin for VS Code but not Visual Studio. I’m interested to take it for a spin. My client would pay for the service if it was any sort of force multiplier for me.

The example value proposition would be for me to be able to say, “Cody, write unit tests for the public methods of the following 3 classes” and have it do a credible job of that.

ETA: they open-sourced Cody yesterday, looks like.

1 Like

The problem is that the handful of Xojo ones will all be API 1 and it’ll end up producing code that does not work. API 2 made any chance of teaching an AI how to code in Xojo 100 times harder as there just isn’t much training data available anymore. API 2 really is the gift that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

I am a Github Copilot User. Copilot is an ai tool made by Github. It writes great Code which I can use and safes about 30% of time when coding. That is - in my case - am important helper. Makes it faster to get the Job done. And the quality is high. So: yes, Xojo is outdated. It comes up like 20 years before.

1 Like

I use Copilot too. it friggin rocks.

It does a great job, but not all the time. Although yesterday, it suggested something that was EXACTLY what I wanted from my Xanadu HTML Element Classes which was to render a Modal. It even added modal title based on nearby code used as an ID for the modal.

It even added the spaces!

2 Likes

It doesn’t … when learning via a popular tutorial :-). Funny story, it took me a while do recognize that I should better switch off Github Copilot while learning. I have to admit it was somehow comfortable that Copilot finished my exercise after having typed 1 1/2 lines max, but that doesn’t help when learning :slight_smile: :slight_smile: .

I know that many think AI is BS and it doesn’t always produce the best code indeed, but it helps so much to give you some ideas, or at least to generate you a template which you change to your needs. For instance you type a comment:

// retrieve data from Munich from fancyweatherapi.com …and you will usually get a template in no time.

I think that the younger generation which has already used such tools, will laugh at Xojo, exactly for that feature missing. And Github pilot would need a lot of Xojo code on github to train the engine … but Xojo doesn’t even have Git integrated. Dead road!

2 Likes

On a different page: Visual Basic in top ten of March Tiobe index. Xojo is #99. Dropping the Basic label may not have been such a good idea.

2 Likes

Indeed
Trying to distance themselves from BASIC as a part of the name doesnt seem to have helped OR hurt
But the name change did
It takes a LOT of time to regain what name recognition you had when you do change names
Years in fact

3 Likes

neither believing in TIOBE is :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It doesn’t offer scientific grade accuracy. I take it as an indicator.

Plus, one might hate BASIC, but the former name was honest and to the point, plus understandable in many countries. And if their target audience are really beginners, or people looking for RAD … what is then wrong with “basic”?

Those people might actually prefer something “basic” (understandable) than a name like “Xojo”. And if they understand the “object oriented” part in Xojo, they might actually fear that it will be too complicated … plus it was only recently that they started to explain on the homapge what Xojo stands for.

1 Like