Production ready Toolchains for Cross Platform Desktop

Now it came like I inspected. Bitching against Java is modern, working out by self any tool chain that works not. While that costs time and at least basic knowledge about cross platform development. And I doubt that anybody wants to workout that for public or for himself.

But I have a question to the community: wouldn’t it be nice if we become more constructive than behaving always destructive? I can understand critics when and if the critics are not only while somebody wants to bitch. So I saw yesterday also this situation that people are bitching against things but having no Idea what they are speaking about (it was a discussion about GO on desktop as cross platform on base of GTK what is still not even released but deeply in beta with many needed fixes and crashes and at the moment with many Bugs related to MacOS. In the foreseeable future will there not be a stable and reliable Solution and so I said: that is not usable for commercial software development.

What we do here - and I will not say that I am not a Part of it - is complaining about many things but what we do not do is working together on solutions and doing in that moment constructive things instead of destructive things. For example I would prefere to discuss about a difference between for example C# and Java (for example a difference in processing speed or what ever) instead of listening: we don’t want. Best answer was once in this forum from one Person even: “I am here to bitch about Xojo”. That kind of Discussions is ridiculous and not needed. I am not here to bitch about Xojo and I tried more than once to show a way how to come out of the Situation for xojo with different release System and deep changes in their policy.

When and if there will not be a change this forum will not help us but it will consume lifetime and make bad mood over the day. Nobody needs that. We could - instead of bitching - discuss Solutions and build more and more parts of the tool chain of everybody and make Life more easy. Instead I have to listen to arguments like “I don’t like Semicolon at line end. I don’t like curved braces. So I can only ask: what do you want? And the answer to this question is mostly: oh, I am searching for a cross platform solution for all platforms which is reliable, sustainable and has consistency. Okay, all languages like GO, Java Script and Co can go out while they do not provide all of this requirements.

Within the next breathing I have to read: I use Go for a company Software while we build the business model on GO and that shall stay for the future. The problem is:you have no code-, syntax-, library- and infrastructure reliability and sustainability, the support cycle of a go release (only major releases are supported) was in the past around 18 month until two years. Means: the code you rote before two years is latest to write in the next major release. Coming up to the last release which went out of Support, today actual is 1.20 the last major release so the Support for the 1.18 (also major Release) stopped with Releasing of 1.20. 1.18 is released at march 15. 2022. So one year Support time. Let’s climb up to the syntax differences we will get: there are some differences which stop compiling. you need to change to the last version.

All of this discussions are at the end useless. Let’s try to come up to a non bitching culture, a discussion culture where constructive working is more important. If with GO (and this language has really nice features, no question) or C++ or Java. All of these languages having nice parts and not so good parts of the solution, let’s discuss about ecosystems and so on. I guess that may be better for all of us.

The quality of a forum has also to do with the willing of the members to bring up the engagement to fill the forum with life and positive discussions. Our negative discussions are not even helping to change anything in the Xojo environment. Yes, I was one bitching the loudest. But I also had to realise: the CEO will not change his view on anything. So I was analysing the situation and I will even post that analysis in a thread of this forum. So constructive discussions are needed. It will always end up in stresses. That’s not useful for the discussion culture and for the results we are awaiting reading this forum.

I hope that we will find all together a way. Since I am programming and that is the most time of my life (I am becoming old, first sold Software was before 40 years when I was 13…man what amount of time) I could see that kind of bitching in discussion groups, first on mailboxes (modem times, I again get that I am old) and later in mail groups and now in forums and other social media. What I miss is constructive working while I know that it will grant more success for everybody.