Xojo is NOT entirely M1 Native

For me, Xojo screwed the Pooch a few years back. I stopped investing in Xojo both from a finanacial as well as work effort point of view when their Attitude concerning the initial complaints surrounding API2.0 showed how little Xojo really cared about the product, and the evidence that Geoff was letting his ego dictate policy.

I still have Xojo 2019r1.1 on my system, and use it every few weeks to knock out a quick one-off tool until my skillset catches up to the point I could do it as fast in Swift (and actually that point in time is actually here).

Swift is 100% Native… for both Intel and M1 (although I don’t have an M1 to play with yet)… Yeah… BOTH the Compiler and Linker!

Swift is FREE (unless you want to count the $99 Apple Developer fee, which is still 1/3 of what Xojo charges for “iOS” alone).

Yes, Swift (currently) is macOS, iOS and tvOS only… but personally I don’t give a … about Windows or Linux. Should that ever change, I will probably investigate B4X products. but I doubt it will come to that.

So Xojo (for me) has reached its End of Life cycle.

Must be MVP related :frowning:

Curse of the MVP?

He is entitled to present an unpopular opinion, but that does not mean he has sold out. I also don’t agree with it in principal, but I don’t suspect his motives being tainted by Xojo pressure in this situation.

I got it!

MVP is Must Venerate Perlman

1 Like

That’s a good one!

Jokes aside,

Maybe he is sincerely sick of hearing it, maybe he genuinely believes this is a very minor issue, perhaps this is his personal “that’s my opinion, f$#k you, deal with it.” Whatever it is, I am not ready to lump a loyal servant of this community in with the official Xojo Inc. bullshit engine without alot more in hand.

You all know where I stand on Xojo integrity issues, it is absolutely on the side of bringing them to account for misrepresentations, piss-poor quality and deceptive practices. That being said, Christian’s personal commitment to quality, longevity of services, customer advocacy and support of this community have earned him the right to express his opinion, even if unpopular to the majority; without being labeled as a “traitor”.

Come on folks, we don’t eat our own over differences of opinion, that only benefits the opposition.

2 Likes

What the press release should have said is:

Xojo produces 100% M1 native apps that do not need Rosetta to run.

With this release the IDE itself which is written in Xojo, is a 100% native application with faster performance. However Xojo itself still requires Rosetta to be installed to produce an executable file on an M1 machine at this time.

The requirement for Rosetta to be installed to produce an executable file will be eliminated in a future release.

4 Likes

Funnily enough the only one labeling Christian a “traitor” is you - I certainly didn’t.

What I do NOT understand is that he keeps harping on about what a small issue the underlying problem is. I and pretty much everyone else agrees with him on that. But it is really weird that he completely ignores the bigger issue (of how Xojo dealt with it becoming public) even when I and others told him straight - that is what I don’t get.

Remember Watergate? Nixon didn’t have to leave because he did illegal things - he had to leave because he lied to Congress about it.

Being bullshitted REALLY pisses off people. Sadly that is a lesson Geoff still hasn’t learned, otherwise he wouldn’t try it Every. Single. Time. … and then add insult to injury by proclaiming how honest and forthright he is when he just demonstrated for all to see that he isn’t.

keeps harping on about what a small issue

ignores the bigger issue

You are kidding right? Your month long, unsolicited and inappropriate political tirades don’t count as this exact same behavior, writ large and ad infinitum?

Remember Watergate? Nixon didn’t have to leave because he did illegal things - he had to leave because he lied to Congress about it.

Right… and Joseph R. Biden is a shining example to the world of health, vitality, transparency, overwhelming national support (well not on YouTube, must be the Nazi’s again). Lol its like having Bezhnev or Andropov unable to complete sentences and nodding off during public appearances. Have you ever found fault with anything that the Democrat party has done? Ill wait for that one…

Funnily enough the only one labeling Christian a “traitor” is you - I certainly didn’t.

Xojo and Geoff in particular are not doing their reputation any favours there - and now you do the same to yours. Why?

First time ever I’ve seen Christian with 4 down votes. Curse of the MVP?

Dont be asinine, that is EXACTLY what you implied, own it.

He has a right to his opinion without “reputation” consequences, even when it contradicts your ardent beliefs.

1 Like

Well, those dislikes are the rightful OPINION of others. Dont contradict yourself

Dislikes are entirely appropriate in this case, and I added mine as well.

That does not however mean that MBS is now in the Xojo Inc. leadership camp and is covering for their issues out of an ulterior motive.

I know, sorry back to the topic I go.

I’d be ok with the fact they forgot/didn’t want to mention this in the first place, as it looks like most users won’t be affected by that (and, well, they can’t tell every small change of the product without flooding information to us).
The “no excuse” behaviour that always follows when there are complaints (or just remarks) is concerning me.

1 Like

I don’t know all internals at Xojo.
If you like to be pissed off Xojo, then maybe better due to the problems in the IDE, the missing compiler guy, the missing progress on Web 1 conversion, on database integration or on limited controls.

If I get a minute to talk to Geoff about issues, I would not waste that time on a linker, that is going to be native soon.

PS: You can have unlisted video in Youtube, link to it in Twitter and have thousands of people watch it.

1 Like

Christian you are to 100% correct in that what you write. But here the Issue is not the Linker. Forget about the linker. It is a question about the behavior and the communication of xojo inc to their customers. That’s with Web 1, with Compiler problems, with database integration and with limited controls always the same: they are not communication whats going on, they communicate to have biggest marketing success. I can believe that this is maybe needed but it is for the users more than uncomfortable. You can not handle people like that and think your’e right because you where crashing the discussion in the direction like: only xojo is right and it was true we where only not explicit saying that it is so like it is. That was in this case like in many other cases so and it will not help to repeat it. While this form of communication makes problems to trust in xojo and that is something I heard often in discussions right in the last months. So for me it is no question that the linker is uninteresting for the user itself. But the communication sends a signal and that shows in their eyes: do not touch me, I am the untouchable, I am always right. That is and was never working as a communication strategy.

Sorry to hear you got suspended. I hope you can join the discussion in the Xojo forum again next month.

PS: You can have unlisted video in Youtube, link to it in Twitter and have thousands of people watch it.

Yes, but not with that ratio, or ratios on every video so bad that YouTube is actually considering doing away with dislikes altogether. (Wonder why? The down-vote storm related to Biden, Susan Wojcicki?)

Anyhow, I dont really care for US politics, I just wanted to demonstrate that somebody brings up his politics into every-single-post-ever does not have the qualification to chastise others about…

1. harping on about what a small issue
  2. ignores the bigger issue

I also wanted to illustrate (with the current US political theater) that if there is no accountability in your overstated (and well worn) political beliefs foisted into others and injected into every single topic, then how could you demand others be held accountable? I dont really care anyway, I don’t live there.

If you like to be pissed off Xojo, then maybe better due to the problems in the IDE, the missing compiler guy, the missing progress on Web 1 conversion, on database integration or on limited controls.

Yes, all valid reasons to have heads on spears.

I don’t actually have any conflict with you, I find your product offerings to be invaluable. I just disagreed with that single post, and also the insinuation that you are somehow influenced by being an MVP and working with Xojo Leadership to quell dissatisfaction.

Take it however you like, my case has been stated.

I’m currently reading it. I came across the screenshot (half of the page, where the error is shown), but it’s too small to be able to read the error (and you can’t click to enlarge nor read the error message around, as text near the picture).
Other than that, good reading time.

Are you ok with Xojo saying it’s now Silicon Native when the linker isn’t native?

It’s not true. It’s not innocent either. A decision was made. At the beginning of TOF thread, Geoff said “At the moment you still need Rosetta for linking. However, that’s a tiny fraction of the build time.”

Not cool. It also reduces trust in Geoff and Xojo.

A one off would be one thing, but this has been a repeating pattern.

Just be truthful. That’s all it takes to remain trustworthy.

Karen’s example press release was what they could have said. And that would increase trust.

In my professional and personal life I have come up against people that seem to be incapable of admitting that they are wrong and will try and bury you in a mountain of bullshit in order to avoid taking responsibility for their errors. I am not sure if it’s nature or nurture, but the best tactic is just to accept it and move on. The culprit is unlikely to change their modus operandi in the long term.

1 Like