Xojo is NOT entirely M1 Native

That really does not sit well with me.

[My complaint was about how Xojo handles the original complaint, and how they keep shooting themselves in the foot with this behavior]

1 Like

apparently he’s not … an overwhelmingly negative influence in the community… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

maybe they are polydactyl ?

I have and I can tell you: it is a good idea not to tell that Rosetta is needed while nearly everybody will have Rosetta installed so you’ll come with that kind of native „through the door“. I have no Rosetta installed and guess what…

The IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is NOT native as it includes the code editor, visual designer, linker, compiler when you hit the BUILD button.

First time ever I’ve seen Christian with 4 down votes. Curse of the MVP?

I see a lot of people in the thread in Xojo Forum and this forum to complain about this little detail.
In a few weeks, the new native linker is deployed and you can all forget this thread.

1 Like

The issue isn’t really about Xojo requiring Rosetta as far a usage goes. That’s a good thing.

Issue 1 is Xojo saying it is Silicon Native, but does require Rosetta. It can’t be native if it requires Rosetta.

Issue 2 is that some people are using M1 without Rosetta and cannot compile as there are not any notifications.

It’s about the principle processing of incidents like this or like the deprecating of 2019r3.x without warnings before and deprecating an entire framework also from one moment to the other. Stuffs have to be said and documented. To say it’s native brings out the fact that it is not while Rosetta is needed. So not really native. Yes another version will come and we can forget the incidence but not how it was handled. Exactly that was Markus Winters point and not the incidence byself.

Also Norman palardy wrote to xojo, inc to show that problem. But they said still: it is native. After the discussion here and on tof was coming up and the fire was burning already they said yes the Linker but that’s not even our component.

Sorry it will not become true from believing to it it has to be true when it’s written down. They where not doing it by forgetting to write or even without knowledge about, they where doing it in the knowledge. Small but for many people important details.

My problem is with how Geoff handled it. He could’ve ended the discussion immediately with a simple mea culpa but just kept digging and digging.

WHY mislead people about it then ?
They said Xojo is native
Not us
And people found this was NOT 100% true by not installing rosetta and then trying to debug & build
And that doesnt work without Rosetta
It either IS, or ISNT

The ORIGINAL post over there said it all

It is not native and we know it. It is like selling an electrical car but for wrinkling you’ll need to burn gasoline. Not really electrical

Well, this is weird, many users said in TOF and in now in here that the complains are NOT about the “little detail”, the complains are about the attitude, Not only the misleading declaration but the egocentric way of seing things, “Only I know what people whant, and need, I don´t make mistakes, people will not understand what a linker is, people only care about speed”

As many had said, a simple, “it was a mistake, Xojo is nearly 100% native, for now it NEEDS roseta to compile and debug” was enought

5 Likes

Or doing it this way would help not to get to this point:

Ide, compiler and Workers are now native, the linker will follow with one of the next versions. Please install Rosetta for building as long as we where not changing the linker also.
With this Build xojo is natively available on Mac M1 and you can build fully native Apps for M1

Xojo continues to push toward being 100% native on Apple Silicon with this release. Rosetta is still required for an increasingly small portion of Xojo and we expect to remove this dependency in the near future

but I’m just a coder so wtf do I know :slight_smile:

Christian, do you really not get that people don’t get upset about a little problem that is easily dealt with via an apology, but get upset about being bullshitted?

Xojo and Geoff in particular are not doing their reputation any favours there - and now you do the same to yours. Why?

1 Like

This is a bug/oversight. It got reported, it will be fixed soon.
Don’t waste your time complaining about i.

You really don’t get it, do you?

THAT IS NOT WHAT WE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

You are missing Markus’ point
That there is/isnt a bug oversight WASNT the crux of the eventual storm
Things went off the rails in the follow ups to this reply

At the moment you still need Rosetta for linking. However, that’s a tiny fraction of the build time.

uh who cares if its days or msec ? it DOESNT work AT ALL if you do not have rosetta. but you didnt say that ANYWHERE at the time

Even with Rosetta, linking is faster on the M1 than it is on the Intel-based MacBook Pro.

So ? with rosetta it means YOUR NOT NATIVE despite your claim you are

What people ultimately care about is speed and even on Rosetta linking is faster than it is on an Intel-based Mac.

No. the ORIGINAL post is “it doesnt work”. Not that its fast or slow or anything. It doesnt work without rosetta. AT ALL.

Our press release did not state that Xojo is completely native. We were careful to state what IS native.

No it says (and I’ve cut & pasted right from it)
With this release Xojo itself is native on Apple Silicon, as well as XojoScript and Worker, which builds native Apple Silicon helper apps.

Nowhere does it say compiler or linker in the ENTIRE press release
The inference is that ALL of Xojo is native
No one would be called out for such an inference because you dont buy the Xojo compiler, the Xojo IDE, the Xojo link, a worker addon or a XojoScript add on as separate pieces. You get the whole set all as one integrated tool set.
Its ONE giant package

That you want to defend their handling, which I think was poor, is YOUR hill to die on
Not mine
But i’m surprised

As I said, a niche product lives and dies by the enthusiasm of its users. Bullshit those users and the enthusiasm dies, and with it the product. It is that simple.

6 Likes

Simply for me it was dead from the release point of 2020r1 and same moment deprecating of 2019 release and switching off documentation while that feature don’t works on Linux at all

1 Like