Xojo is NOT entirely M1 Native

“Our press release did not state that Xojo is completely native. We were careful to state what IS native.”

So it is tecnically NOT a lie, it is just a carefully planed misleading marketing trick… :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Except it DOESNT say any such thing depie what Geoff claims
The ENTIRE release that I got said
There is no statement that says “the IDE, compiler, Workers and XojoScriopt are native”

I really don’t think Xojo deliberately meant to deceive anyone. However, their response was very concerning. Instead of just admitting a mistake/oversight on their part, they just keep spewing out excuses and explanations.

Just say, “oops, sorry we didn’t mean to mislead anyone”, correct the requirements and move on and this story goes away. Sheesh!

Phil

4 Likes

Absolithy. It is really sat to see that kind of egocentric attitude, pretending to know what is best for all others and the denial state of its own mistakes :neutral_face:

But the worst part is that its is not at all uncomon to se that :confused:

1 Like

Indeed when I initially emailed Geoff about this that was sort of what I was hoping for but not the reply I got at all

1 Like

Compiler is M1, but Linker is Not

How many developers (especially “citizen developers”) know/realize that there are even multiple steps from “source code” -> “executable”. Nobody cares anymore… “Compile/Link” is considered by most high level languages to be “one process”

So saying the “Compiler is M1” is a grossly misleading statement, but on par with the other BS spewing from Xojo’s marketing department (and I don’t mean BigSur)

1 Like

Xojo is not a big property of xojo incite is a big collection of software from third parties. Do not forget: most code is not done by xojo. Needing Rosetta they could not write. Why? While it is so the better marketing gag

1 Like

And they just closed this thread over on TOF. Anyone surprised?

Just amazing how they are ok with a lie. They could have said Xojo is M1 Native, except for the linker which needs Rosetta for now.

So easy… But not for Xojo.

What is shocking me deeply is that the fanboys all say it’s okay no problem not a big lie…wow

1 Like

Most code IS done by Xojo
Some of it has open source origins
The toolkit they use to make the compiler comes from the LLVM project - but that is just the guts of the compiler - they have to add the entire front end that parses the text into the token stream and that turns that token stream into LLVM IR
There isnt as much open source in Xojo as you might guess

Not in the least

I don’t guess I made a small control. It’s about 25 % of the compiling and linking fraction not xojo

… and account suspended for 30 days. :roll_eyes:

Seems I hit a nerve, Truth to Power, Xojo true to form, and all that … :man_facepalming:

rebel !

Markus do not take it to deep: when youll next time doing it youll get kicked out. That’s the way how they get people not to speak I believe

The problem is reported, Xojo is aware of it.
Seems like the linker wasn’t ready for r1 and Xojo Inc. decided to not delay the release.
So another release will probably show up soon with the native linker. Not sure if that’s r2 or earlier.
But it all depends on the open-source components in LLVM be ready in time. And not just available as Xcode, but available in the published open-source version.

Anyway, please don’t complain and enjoy the native IDE, if you have one of the new Macs.

2 Likes

Basically they sent out a misleading announcement, people took them at their word that Xojo was fully 100% native and did NOT install Rosetta and found out Xojo is NOT “native” or fully native or whatever you want to call it - its NOT 100% ARM code

The point is that IF you have one of the new Macs and DO NOT put Rosetta on it you can USE the IDE to create edit etc
But you cannot run, or build
Which the original poster on the thread ran into
As have others

And rather than Xojo JUST saying “oh hey yeah we know and things are not quite ready” they deflected to “oh well linking is such a small amount of time that it wont matter”
It matters - NO linking can happen unless you install Rosetta
But thats NOT the message they sent or what they said to anyone

They HAVE now updated the system requirements to say that Rosetta is required

They should have just owned up to it right away since they DID know this - apparently - before the release
Instead that thread happened

1 Like

I though you were going to get suspended into the next millennium! :wink:

-Karen

He’s not me or Norman. He is more civilized…