Xojo Hmmmm 🤔

This seems to be a sarcastic statement!?!

I hope the original post AND all comments are sarcastic :wink:

As per today, the XDC 2023 keynote video on YouTube got 1173 views. This is 4 weeks after publication. Adding the 30 people who watched it live at the XDC, it is about 1200 developers worldwide who bothered to look and hear what Xojo’s future may be.

1 Like

<sarcasm>
Obviously you dont realize that those 1200 view were all giant parties with the keynote shown to thousands at each showing
1200 views with 1000 people each … millions !
</sarcasm>
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

or in other words: possibly it is so that there are maybe 2400 Developers using Xojo actively. That is 20ppm looking on Java. Wow. That is an amount. And for that there is such Discussion? No questions anymore. Makes me even more happy that I am not in the need of Xojo. Definitely

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s a valid argument. How many people drive a Rolls-Royce compared to, say, a Toyota? Exclusivity, addressing unique comfort and luxury needs, is not inherently negative. Moreover, meticulous manual labor can potentially yield excellent results, with the emphasis on “can.”

Nevertheless, such companies wouldn’t be successful if their cars couldn’t operate in certain countries, lacked standardized refueling options, or didn’t even consider modern features like navigation systems or assisted driving. Additionally, these companies must adhere to regulations, making seat belts and headrests mandatory and they listen very carefully to the voice of their customers.

The issue is that the green company is more akin to Lada production, yet the company places the “Spirit of Ecstasy” emblem on the hoods of these cars. The juxtaposition of “Ecstasy” and “Ladas” suggests that the problems should be sought in this direction.

You’re correct; I prefer to travel from point A to point B safely and quickly, without the need for any additional frills :wink:

Oh, you have as many Rolls Royce in Germany as you have Lada Niva.

Differences:
Rolls royce drives faster than 200, Niva is happy at 100. Xojo is the slow alternative compared to Java, C++ and so on

Rolls Royce is comfortable while Lada Niva is like sitting on a wooden chair. Xojo is looking comfortable but when sitting down it is less comfortable while everything is not fully baken and crashes.

So the argument is okay. Comparing Xojo with Java is like comparing Nike’s with an A380. Both are used for moving.

1 Like

I compared RR to Toyota. I contrasted Xojo’s “production” with Lada since, in my opinion, comparing Xojo to Toyota, the pioneers of Six Sigma and exceptional quality management and production control down to the smallest detail, is not justified. I would be concerned that Toyota might sue me :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Toyota is six sigma fan and has its quality management until the last small part of their cars. Also they are best practice pioneers in ISO 9001 including iSO 9001 Development. They started it long before GM and Volkswagen. When we spoke in Germany about REFA they spoke about quality management.

Has anyone ever seen Xojo Inc’s QMS or can anyone confirm that they have something in place that is meant to be a QMS?

I think I can safely say Xojo Inc is not ISO-9001! :wink:

Seriously I highly doubt they have a quality manual and have very few (if any) written procedures for anything!

I worked a company that only did R&D for a decade that was run by someone who literally thought he was a genius… He said more than once that he knew more science than Noble Prize winners…

He was bright but did not know his limitations (he was a lawyer self taught in science) … We had no written procedures or policies or plans beyond his whims! It was the strangest place I ever worked!

What saved the company from extinction was his failing health (and finally passing) …

Now our whole purpose has changed and we are 9001 and just had our 13485 registration audit and have been recommended for certification. It’s been a HUGE change in company culture that we are still adapting to.

-Karen

2 Likes

<Darth_Vader_voice> The Dunning-Kruger is strong with this one </Darth_Vader_voice> :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Probably written in Xojo :slight_smile:

That’s at least what I was told all the time. We are using Xojo every day, so we are aware of ALL issues … I’m sure they are aware, hard to overlook some major bugs but … 2 month left and we might see another month where they will close 100 bugs.

I have to bite my tongue on all fronts about this question

1 Like

Worst part is they AVERAGE 11 new issues reported every day (not always bugs)
The result is that their OPEN BUG count has gone UP - not down
There are 107 more open bugs today than there were when they shipped 2023r1.1 an April 11 (47 days)

I expect that this trend is so entrenched that we’ll see them return to archiving bugs that simply never get looked at in 2 years (they put that on hold for the time being)

They dont have the processes in place to create “quality”
Not sure they have the right skill sets
Regardless of how dedicated the people are without those things its VERY hard to succeed at creating quality software

They need more staff. And they need the staff with the right skill sets. And they need the right processes in place.
Just like @Karen noted in her post

2 Likes

To start with, it would require the position of a quality manager who cannot be the same individual as the CEO or any member of the dev team.
I don’t see Genius wanting to delegate power to a QM…

2 Likes

Some excellent reading from Joel Spolsky, a guy who has made several companies that each have several times the revenue of our green friends
He has several clues about what he’s writing

some take aways - that I agree with

And in that article a GREAT read on how to set priorities that starts with

Now, let me tell you the second way not to decide what features to implement. Don’t do things just because they’re inevitable. Inevitability is not a high enough bar. Let me explain.

And finally

The green co just needs to do all this stuff
Esp #6 and #8

EDIT : Oh! the green co does few, if any, of these

EDIT II : OK I realize this reply is already long BUT !!!
(Joels highlighting not mine)
READ this one in its entirety and the ideas that Joel has apply SO WELL to Xojo !!!

Generally, people who buy off-the-shelf software don’t want to be part of a Grand Development Experiment; they want something that anticipates their needs. As a customer, the only thing better than getting feature requests done quickly is getting them instantaneously because they’re already in the product, because it was designed thoughtfully and extensively usability- and beta-tested before being inflicted on the world. If you have (or want) a large number of paying customers, prefer less frequent releases .

3 Likes

I’m still hoping that, once Android for Xojo becomes enough mature to exit its testing phase (after years of hard work) and no longer needs as much resources as needed for the setup/beta phase, they’ll finally be able to focus on everyday’s fixes and perhaps manage to focus on fixing these bugs more heavily :man_shrugging:.

I would NOT hold my breath hoping for that to happen

More targets with no more resources yet possibly more users than they have beta testing is unlikely to result in fewer bug & feature requests

Lets just call it an educated guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is not that hard work to realize Android Development based on Kotlin. That’s what they wanted to do. That’s what they have done. Looking on CodenameOne it is not that hard problem to realize Android Development. So which hard work? I don’t know.

At the end they could also be smart while having a Multiplatform Mobile product GUI Editor for Android and IOS. They could sell that to the Kotlin fans. That’s what they have done.

And they had enough time for inventing an alternative for Web 1.0 (yes, I know, not a good one) and to invent API 2.0 (yes I know, half baked).

So Bug fixing first would be nice. Their decisions what to do when.

1 Like