Xojo Hmmmm šŸ¤”

When I read this, I was reminded of the old WWDC that was showing off Copland (or trying to.) In response to criticism of lacking features (symmetric multiprocessing, if I remember), Gil Amelio retook the stage to state that they would add that. This being the eleventh-hour, of course.

3 Likes

Yeah I noticed that, too.

Itā€™s also a question of ā€œmake availableā€ means in this context. In .NET, preemtive threading evolved, and took a few years to get all the syntax sugar it has today with async / await. My guess is that heā€™s not talking about constructs equivalent to async / await, but just ā€œfork here and manage it yourself with these locking primitivesā€. Whereas developers are probably thinking in terms of async / await / promises.

This was marked fixed today, for the next release.

1 Like

You do not seem to know whoā€™s in charge of the documentation (itā€™s the CEO, look at Issues for confirmationā€¦)

Well I might be old and my generation might have a different approach to responsibility than the current one. But isnā€™t the CEO in charge of everything, the company, the product(s), the people and talents - everything!

4 Likes

Yes the CEO is the one and only. And in case of the technical Stuffs the CTO. But. In Xojo language: there is only one deciding whatā€™s going on. Not more. Never mind, it will be so that everything will come to the right situation, ask him, he will tell you.

Yep, it is quite visible that there is no professional technical writer on payroll.

Finding a technical writer never mind a good one is like hens teeth so I can completely understand them doing their documentation with whatever staff they have access to.

Which is it???

As a Software company there is the need for a technical writer. There are no excuses not to have a technical documentation. I have technical writers for that. And if I can get them for my company: Xojo could also. And yes, it costs money, they are not cheap. professional programmers are even more expensive. Thatā€™s the life of a company. Never different. And running a company without the needed infrastructure can result in the situation Xojo has at the moment. Not nice. Not good. But for everybody working in technical environment something to expect. Not fulfilling the needs is not delivering completely. My Meaning. And my view on the situation.

2 Likes

Now Geoff cannot easily do itā€¦ :rofl:

This says everything about Xojo Inc :joy::rofl:

1 Like

There hasnā€™t been since before they changed the name to Xojo

Good reply from Bjorn about adding functionality that can crash appsā€¦ Methinks Geoff Perlman is talking from both sides of his mouthā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

for ANYONE interested you dont need declares or plugins to write an app that crashes

PURE XOJO code

2 lines

crashes every time

Dim p As ptr
p.Byte(0) = 123

put this in the open event of an app and it WILL crash
Xojo does nothing to detect or prevent this or warn about this use

Geoff says

In nearly every case I can think of when a userā€™s app is crashing due to something in the Xojo language or framework, we consider that a very serious bug.

but this bug, which accidentally/deliberately uses something like the above, was closed as BY DESIGN
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/18833

4 Likes

It looks like you closed it. Do you remember if you decided that or someone else told you to close it by design?

Did you try

Var p As ptr

?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Closed after discussion

It just contradicts what Geoff is saying

1. you DONT need a declare or plugin to crash the app
  2. its NOT consider that a very serious bug.

So Geoffs reasoning about WHY preemptive threads shouldnā€™t/canā€™t/wonā€™t be added IS truly faulty

Xojo already HAS these things and tells users to use them carefully
But on preemptive threads somehow its ā€œspecialā€

Poor logic and reasoning

There IS more to fix than the memory manager that Bjorn points out
But, he cant know this from the outside.
That IS one aspect of what needs to be fixed
But certain parts of the framework are NOT reentrant at all
That makes them NOT thread safe to use
Those also have to be fixed otherwise preemptive threads can/will crash like mad as you just try to use basic functionality of the frameworks

1 Like

OMG NO let me try that
Var should be ā€œThe Answerā€ to life the universe & everything !!

EDIT : follow up.
Darn. Same behaviour :smiling_face_with_tear:
Hopes dashed !

3 Likes

Maybe thereā€™s an undocumented ā€œDesktopPtrā€?

4 Likes