Xojo Hmmmm 🤔

Well I don’t know what Geoff meant by that but philosophically I look at it this way – unhappiness is the impedance mismatch between what you expect and what you get. There are only two ways to reduce that mismatch – improve the situation and/or lower your expectations.

Since I don’t control Geoff I can’t improve the situation beyond advocating for him to make better decisions, but I have too much to do in life to be some prophet with a mission to save Xojo (or get Geoff to save it). So I lower my expectations, which almost certainly means this one Xojo app I put together for internal use and to assess the platform, will be my last.

See how that works? I’m happy, albeit with some fleeting (in the grand scheme) disappointment, and probably in the end Geoff lowers his expectations of how much money he can make with Xojo, and no one is disillusioned or unhappy :wink:

1 Like

but again somebody is escaping from Xojo. That is also a result of what you wrote.

which almost certainly means this one Xojo app I put together for internal use and to assess the platform, will be my last.

So in my eyes: that isn’t the best result it could have. The best would be: Bugs are fixed and you stay. But why do I know about Software? Nothing!

Which is what I’ve concluded over the years when requesting functionality that Xojo itself doesn’t use and being hand waved away.

@HalGumbert I love that quote about #BusinessHonesty: Instead of, “We’re adequately staffed”, say “We don’t have enough people to work on our product”.

What made it worse, is that a significant number of testers raised issues during the beta period. The one person who praised it was made MVP and it shipped with the issues we pointed out. Which was then re-iterated over and over by Xojo’s “target” audience.

This is the way.

Agreed. Which is why most of us are now using/learning other tools.

2 Likes

Oooopsies! Fixed but not fixed… :thinking: Fix is to just don’t go to sleep… Muahaha

:man_facepalming:

Cant even imagine how this got fubarred

Lower your expectations :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Mine are already negative :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There is no spoon.

This might already have been documented

https://docs.xojo.com/Worker
last edited

• This page was last edited on 2 April 2021, at 14:31.
    so its been documented for a while

although I dont understand WHY they are desktop only
there certainly doesnt seem to be any compelling reason

EDIT : FIX typo :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed. I could argue that they would be just as important in console applications. Oh well, we’re obviously not smart enough to understand why they did what they did.

There is only one person really understanding…

1 Like

I should ask Travis :stuck_out_tongue:

Just do it! :thinking:

Yea multithreading is never thread safe,wahaaa what a news. In java not, in C++ not, in…what the heck in no language can it be thread safe. That’s why you have to access Variables in a thread safe wise and that you may have to plan. Not more not less. Thread safe isn’t possible with Multithreading except you make the Multithreading slow as heck and unusable. Mutithreading has to be a runtime environment where threads can run and not one where threads are under totally thread control of a central Time Machine. Then nobody needs Multithreading.

Xojo users suggests no longer selling Xojo: “Do it right or don’t do it, I say.”

2 Likes

That thread is on fire and hilarious. Geoff Perlman is a terrible Project Manager. He just leaves customers to flounder like in that thread. :rofl:

Because I’m sure he feels that Workers solves all the problems that they’re talking about. And even if he did understand the need he cannot truthfully say he has the staff do it right.

2 Likes

Found this in the thread: “…We could quite easily make preemptive threads available…”

Adequately staffed…

1 Like

Says a person who doesn’t do any real coding.

1 Like

Geoff Perlman does write code to convert the Docs in a less useful format. Gotta give him that!

3 Likes