Xojo bug bash

Now I have my bug about the breakpoints with the label, so I hope they will look into it.

So your customers get the code from you?

Isn’t it shaming that the Bugs of so important vendors like you are not prioritized to fix. Without the Plugins you and others deliver there is no rest for the most of the programmers. The Eco System is based on Plugins.

Seams to be so. Otherwise there would not be the customers contact to the API at all. But it is.

Reading the comments on this bug tracker makes me wonder what’s going on over there.

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/63496

William was probably trying to quickly fix a bug, and did not think it through well enough at first.

• Karen
2 Likes

They do respond quickly to plugin API issues to me (and other plugin developers). But the bug bash is more a try to fix issues in the frameworks and IDE.

I’m somewhat concerned they are only resolving the “easy” bugs.

Take this issue for example:

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/69343#note_536706

They made a start on it but decided against it with no timeframe.

That’s what I’d do. The bugbash is gonna be judged by the quantity of bugs. No sense in getting hung up on a booger of a problem.

This one not being attacked doesnt surprise me
unfortunately

Since I now work on a large product on a daily basis I feel like I can contribute to this conversation. Does it seem too little and too late? Maybe, but I’m glad they’re doing it.

On our team we probably spend 30 to 50 percent of our time every sprint working on bugs. In the 2 1/2 years I’ve been with the company we’ve fixed a lot of bugs and there are no easy ones left (well, some but you get my point). We’re even going through the backlog and looking at really old Jira’s to see if they’re still valid (some are some aren’t).

Our team is big enough where we can do this AND still deliver new features (heck we’re probably 4 times the size of Xojo at this point). And our boss thinks this is an important overall task for the product and its future. We do too.

So it really is all about Geoff’s commitment to fixing bugs. I like the idea of an every other release bug bash but I doubt that Xojo will do that. Maybe 1 release a year is my guess. But even if that happens it’s some progress and good news.

4 Likes

Yes I sell a Xojo UI addon.
I’m working on a documented example project based on the idea of the xojo eddies electronics one, the included tool is not really an example project is used to give you the ability pick and copy for font names, icons and to create real time custom templates. This is a big project and not documented to the level where it would help you.

If you are referring to the drop in custom widgets from that, happy to make up an example using them all. Would only take a few minutes. Also happy to do a live video demo where you can ask questions on the discord server.

Dave

I’m somewhat concerned they are only resolving the “easy” bugs.

Seems so. Autorecovery was unassigned recently. I cannot nominate it as there is still another ticket waiting to be resolved.
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/66851

Not entirely true, @DaveDuke
Yes, I did get the plugins, but they are all encrypted.
(Also the demo program is an app and is not included as source code.
Which you are of course not entitled to do so, but it would make start using your plugins a lot easier.)

This is a Plugin Seller so it would be pretty nice to see the Source Code of the example to be able to realize how many effort a Solution with this Plugin will cost. Sadly the Plugin Seller by self provided no Source code with so we can’t see if it will help and how it could help. The Plugin by elf seems to be a good Job but we could even better see that if there would be the Sourcecode of the Example.

For the fact that this post was flagged: There was NO rudeness inside as far as I can see. It is a critic. Citizising that there is an example how it will work with the Plugin but not showing how you really can do this with the plugin brings the customer possibly in the situation that he may not be able ever to get this solution running. And this critics I have done while I realized that many people could not do anything with the Plugin without the example code and a really good documentation. There was no rude meaning inside. Therefore I edited the original message and explained my meaning end edited the text I wrote.

The bug bash has been needed for some time, heck it would be great if Apple would also do something similar (but that hope has long since died).

My biggest concern with this that it appears bugs are only going to be fixed in API 2.0 things, which is not likely to encourage me or other people reliant on API 1.0 to renew their Xojo licenses.

Once I can confirm a bug in the Xojo framework (or the macOS), I create a workaround. Sometimes I’ll file a feedback/issue, but to be honest I’ve found this to be waste of my time in recent years (for both Xojo and Apple), that I often don’t bother reporting bugs any more.

1 Like

Getting an upvote because of the complainers. Seriously guys, less snowflake, more balls, if you don’t mind … :roll_eyes:

… and remember: unlike on TOF, here they don’t cut them off! :rofl:

Even though it wasn’t me that flagged it, while the first two sentences would probably be water off a ducks back, the last two sentences were just plain insulting, as is your comment about being people stop being snowflakes and growing a set.

Maybe people don’t want to behave like you and Thorsten, maybe they want some modicum of civility. There was little to zero point in Thorsten’s post, most intelligent people can see what Dave does and how he does it, but some people, like Thorsten and others, need to chip away at that with little snide digs here and there, aww he’s just “another plugin seller” like that is some kind of insult? What are we like 12 years old now in the school yard? And you, throwing around insults about people essentially “manning up”, why don’t you, and actually grow up?

Julian, meet glass house … :wink:

First: be realist. It is a difference if a plugin seller places himself like the helping one but follows in truths only his commercial interests.

Second: I am sorry that I am not writing and acting like you want it. But it is like it was always: following the rules under all circumstances is in this case only acceptance of the facts with forbidding of criticism.