WOHOO! "New" Xojo Roadmap!

THIS ^^^^

They had more users when they where a payed solution as xojo has now. So there is no way to compare: xojo is not as popular and has not that amount of functionality of cross platform desktop, web and iOS and android mobile. B4x has what xojo wants to have and be.

I get that you are the new evangelist for their tool being the new MVP and all. But no need to hype or defend skewed statistics the same way they try to do over there. Xojo is free to use (not compile). And as stated by others the 100k numbers for the other tool was when it was still a paid product. So keep the MVP hat on the other site and place your generic programming hat on this one.

1 Like

I promote Xojo for over 20 years now and I offer training, plug-ins and consulting around Xojo.
the MVP badge is nice, but doesnā€™t stop me criticize Xojo Inc., it even gives me a direct way of sending my wishes and concerns to the Xojo team.
You know, I want them to do better and I try to help to work on that.

7 Likes

Your work ethic to the tools you support (xojo, filemaker, etc ) is without question. The service you provide to fill the many gaps the toolset has is also without question. More than half the things Iā€™ve done would have not been possible without your plugins and support. All I meant on my prior reply was to avoid looking like ā€œthe olive branchā€ xojo extended to many ex-members or disfranchised members by appointing you as MVP so you could ā€œreach outā€. Very fine line to walk. I thought I percieved a slight shift in your recent responses acting as a mediator on behalf of xojo. If I read it all wrong, then I apologize and wonā€™t comment on it anymore.

1 Like

Agreed!!

But then you need both an Xojo License and MBS license and need to maintain those licenses given the rapid pace of Apple change.

Remember Xojo is competing against ā€œfreeā€ā€¦ And so once beyond being easier to code (though it sounds like B4X is relatively easy), the only way that makes sense is for robust X-Platform ā€¦ and how likely is that with iOS specific plugins?

-Karen

2 Likes

20,000 REGISTERED users, about 90% of which havenā€™t visited the forum in over a year ā€¦

HOORAY!

@Karen: I donā€™t disagree with you, but I stand by my analysis that HAD Xojo added plug-in support as soon as possible, then Xojo for iOS would be in a much better position.

As for Android:

I read a detailed analysis about 6 or 7 months ago about every Android phone maker loosing money - except Samsung and Huawei. LG has just closed shop (despite producing very decent phones), Samsung is as expensive as Apple (and was / is run by convicted criminals), and Huawei has links to the Chinese army and may or may not have something extra installed.

As for software, while some companies will find it imperative to offer Android versions of their software (eg WhatsApp, etc) there isnā€™t a big market for paid for software - as many developers have found out.

There is a reason why B4A is free, and B4i isnā€™t ā€¦

HEY DR SCOTT !!!
Long time no see !
Hope things are better (?)

Hi Norman,

Unfortunately, no change ā€” still having the same daily migraines. Iā€™ve stumped yet another neurologist! I havenā€™t been able to do much programming due to the pain, fatigue and ā€œbrain drainā€.

Iā€™ve been using Xojo recently mostly to view my old source code. I no longer need to use Windows, so Iā€™m slowly switching to Swift. I successfully ported one of my Xojo apps to Swift years ago, and it wasnā€™t too painful. Now, with SwiftUI and Swift Playgrounds (and AppCode for code analysis and refactoring), itā€™s become even easier. Iā€™d still love to use Xojo just for fun, but Iā€™m seeing less ā€œbang for the buckā€ for Xojo these days. I long for what Xojo could have been.

1 Like

A third of the USD $111 billions that people spent world wide on mobile apps in 2020 with a 30.2% increase over 2019 is not a big market, noted! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And not even considering that Android apps monetization is mainly Ad-based instead of paid or IAPā€¦

B4A has many more users than B4i, it is so successfull and the apps redituable enought to allow the product to change its business model

That sucks

yeah if youā€™re not using Windows then platform specific tools can offer pretty good bang for the buck

Either way this forum is intended to be a ā€œcross platformā€ tools forum not specifically a Xojo one (although you will find lots of Xojo refugees here)

The main reason why I install most Android apps with a cold sense of dread.
Games are worst.

Whats 2+2? (4)
Bro: you are GENIUS!!.. have an advertā€¦

Click the Filing tab to see all documentation relating to this.

Why would they pick Xojo when they donā€™t have an Android capability?

Go on then - how many b4i paid licences have been sold?

Well, if you have Feedback, feel free to tell Geoff.

Or you can just post it right here in this thread. Iā€™m sure he will be right along to offer extensive rebuttals on why there is nothing wrong with Xojo, that Xojo is, all though not perfect, a well rounded solution without fault, that every other similar solution on the market is garbage, that we have no where else to run towards and that we are all a bunch of whiny and ungrateful babies.

ā€¦all under a well established avatar account to be sure.

Note to Geoff: when one is using an avatar, one must take care to modify both the arguments and the egotistical and deflective style to prevent discovery. Nobody cares about Xojo as much as you do, so unrelenting advocacy in the face of withering and righteous/justified criticism is also a dead giveaway.

(Further note, this not aimed at Christian at all, just a reply to the general statement of his post and the participant in question will know who they are :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

In difference to tof we can discuss these stuffs here. If mr. Perlman is writing here covering himself with a pseudonym he is not doing something forbidden. Maybe it would be more polite and more elegant if he would speak here in person but there is no question also room for his ideas and his words. Would he protect himself? Yes. Would this change anything? No. Cause at the end of the day truths will be the winner of the game. That is what this platform stands for: speaking truths. And that makes it so that it would not change anything for us here but for him. While he would have to reflect what he is doing to the xojo idea and to his customers. So in my believe: he is welcome with or without pseudonYme

In difference to tof we can discuss these stuffs here. If mr. Perlman is writing here covering himself with a pseudonym he is not doing something forbidden. Maybe it would be more polite and more elegant if he would speak here in person but there is no question also room for his ideas and his words. Would he protect himself? Yes. Would this change anything? No. Cause at the end of the day truths will be the winner of the game. That is what this platform stands for: speaking truths. And that makes it so that it would not change anything for us here but for him. While he would have to reflect what he is doing to the xojo idea and to his customers. So in my believe: he is welcome with or without pseudonYme

Respectfully, I disagree. Sockpuppetry is a shit solution when you truly believe you are in the right, you are being honest and are serving the interests of both yourself and your customers.

If your are going to defend your position, be a man (or woman) and do so in the open, own it and spit in the face of your opponents openly. Hell he demands ā€œReal-Nameā€ accounts and photos on his websiteā€¦ so clearly he understands how having to undersign your views in full public view can cause you to think carefully about what you post.

(and when I say you, I dont mean you personally Thorsten :slight_smile: )

Filemaker MIGHT pick a company to partner with based on what they see as technical merit (ie/ prospects that the platform will be better for them long term) and as a way to promote that firm to finish that capability

Iā€™ve had exactly this happen before in a start up

And , as you mention, there are reasons that FM would not