WOHOO! "New" Xojo Roadmap!

Don’t worry @anon50707693 , found a source of that info: LIVECODE LTD - Free Company Check (companieslist.co.uk)

@stam,

I have developed in LiveCode (formerly Runtime Revolution) for many years.

My interest in Xojo, has only ever been Xojo Web.

LiveCode did not have a viable web offering when the Web Framework was introduced in Real Studio 2010 R5 (14 December 2010), and whilst I was highly capable in PHP/MySQL/HTML/Javascript, what became Xojo Web allowed me to rapidly prototype ideas or build functioning web apps or models with efficiency. I developed for Xojo Web on Windows which has been stable across the Web 1.0 lifecycle.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the relative ease in developing apps in LiveCode.

I love the simplicity and power of the language.

The company is very responsive, has comprehensive education resources, great customer service and highly responsive forum.

LiveCode have been very successful in leveraging their customer base when needed to make significant advancements in the platform, including several highly successful crowd funded initiatives such as their Open Source LiveCode initiative in 2014 Next Generation LiveCode (Open Source) by RunRev Ltd — Kickstarter and again in raising a fund to ensure continuation of their complete team during mid 2020 Covid-19 LiveCode Impact Fund | LiveCode

None of us really knows what the future holds.

I don’t believe it is appropriate to discuss the financial viability of a business in the context of a forum. LiveCode is a long established development platform with roots back to the days of Hypercard. LiveCode’s core team live for the product and are genuine survivors.

LiveCode is in active development with a new release candidate available only a few days ago (15 April).

I am not saying LC does not have its specific issues - all dev platforms do.

I do however marvel at Kevin Miller’s (LiveCode) ability to rally customers to his cause.

At times I had wondered whether Xojo would not benefit from the same evangelism.

It is important to note LiveCode has an Open Source/Community version which I imagine would ensure the tools survival (in any event) and would no doubt have been a pre-requisite in Filemaker’s decision-tree.

Kind regards, Andrew

2 Likes

Wow. If developers are to decide on what tool to use for their own business then it is not “appropriate” to discuss the tools state and outlook?

That is an incredibly arrogant statement to make (and I will certainly NEVER grant you the right to determine what I’m allowed to talk about where and when).

In my experience whenever someone says “it is not appropriate” they mean “I don’t want you to find out” because they have a conflict of interest.

I wish LiveCode well, and good on them if they can survive with the help of their community. But be honest - if you don’t want people to know the state they are in, then you are already trying to deceive them, and that will evaporate any goodwill and enthusiasm - the exact qualities that LiveCode depends on to survive.

1 Like

@MarkusWinter,

I don’t believe it is appropriate to discuss the financial viability of a business in the context of a forum.

Markus, you are quick to anger (I like that). I certainly don’t mind - say what you please.

Markus, to be fair I was replying to @stam - and to be fair I was stating my personal view based on my understanding of the legal implication of making public statements in respect of a third parties financial standing. I “personally” know better, having received wise counsel over the years never to comment on such issues publicly. You of course make your own assessments of what you consider appropriate.

I referred to my personal experience with LiveCode over many years. I made no attempt to mislead anyone.

My apologies for having a generally positive experience with LiveCode as well as a generally positive experience with Xojo Web over many years. I’ve enjoyed both platforms immensely.

Of course, every consumer (every developer) is entitled to perform their own due-diligence before making a purchasing decision.

However, as a consumer, I am not privy to the financial information of private companies. I make an informed decision based on the quality (or perceived quality) of the product, my experience with the product and how I am treated as a customer - I don’t audit their accounts or check their bank balance before renewing my licence.

I am not dependent on, nor promote LiveCode, Xojo or any other tool. I generally use both LiveCode and Xojo for prototyping only (due to familiarity) and develop for production on other platforms. I have absolutely no conflict of interest in respect of these products.

Markus, I’ll let you have the last word on what I have said, but I have nothing more to add on the subject.

Kind regards, Andrew

1 Like

A common misconception. My reply to you wasn’t anger, it was annoyance … and so it was more like swatting away a fly - it was a stupid statement to make, and it got what it deserved.

Btw are you (or were you) by any change in a managerial position? Because you sound a lot like the managers I know.

That was iOS 8.

He isn’t to anger. Markus was decidint this for himself while the chance that a company in windup will die is high. Cause of this chance the decision to get that product is dangerous at all. While nobody knows if they will reach all targets. It’s in liquidation so it will be winded up.

And as a developer I need this kind of informations urgently. Why should I ignore the fact, that LIVICODE LTD is under Voluntary Arrangement and ignore in that wise the risk of an insolvency? This means not that the company is in liquidation cause that would have to signet at companieshouse.gov.ug as the government register for limited companies. Also written in Register if that they have to pay monthly 7500 pounds for their debts in the Voluntary Arrangement year 6 and 7. So what? Yes, I am keeping that informations for decisions so that I directly know what the risk is.

FWIW, I note that Geoff Perlman recently took the time to post numerous times on the LiveCode forum, assisting in a comparison of the two platforms, whilst paying homage to his experience as a beta tester for Hypercard / Supercard the forerunners to Runtime Revolution / LiveCode. IMO it was a nice outreach exercise.

Xojo and LiveCode are technically different solutions, yet both were born of a similar era and are influenced by people with shared experiences of early Mac development platforms.

FWIW, I note that Geoff Perlman recently took the time to post numerous times on the LiveCode forum, assisting in a comparison of the two platforms, whilst paying homage to his experience as a beta tester for Hypercard

What an absolute waste of management resources when a large portion of his customer base have been demanding a bug fix only release for some time now. Satisfied long term customers are always your best source of product evangelism, not the marketing claims of the CEO.

I suspect he is also spending time posting rebuttals here under a pen name if that is the case. What a backwards step, I can’t imagine Jobs or Musk spending even a single moment of their time trying to personally solicit and poach business from posts on a competitors forum.

Since he spends many pages worth of time defending his ego against his customers (by elegant and in depth explanations on how you are wrong) on his own forum, its not a far fetched idea of him doing so wherever there are Xojo Inc. complainers gathering, forums, comment sections etc… again, such a waste if that is indeed the case.

It only reinforces the idea that he has abandoned all efforts to produce a quality product for his customer’s benefit and instead choose to chase a never ending stream of fresh customers who will eventually separate from Xojo as a platform, but not before he gets a few licence payments out of them.

Hearing about him spending time doing this would really be a black pill, if I still had any hope for a Xojo Inc. redemption arc.

1 Like

Plugins arent static libraries so that wasnt usable
2017 was the first time that it might have been possible

No idea what the reasons were that Xojo Inc. didn’t do it earlier.

2008 - iOS support requested.
2013 - iOS plugin support requested.
2014 - iOS support delivered and same year iOS 8 ships, enabling frameworks.
2020 - iOS plugin support delivered.

Anyway we are happy to see they did it and some people seem to be busy using our plugin functions on iOS. I just finished a new Keychain on iOS example to be included with next pre-release.

Other higher priority items

And then some dare to say Germans don’t have a sense of humor! :smiley:

We celebrate the round numbers!

I’ll happily jump up here and say that until revision to the framework, and plugins becoming available, I was wasting my time trying to create iOS apps. Plugins have opened a big door!

This is actually kind of sad, 20,000 (all time) users in 25 years, if the last congratulation was October 2017 with 18,000 users, that means 2,000 new users in 4.5 YEARS 1.56 new users per day.

Christian asked in his web page for bets about the year for 25,000… if the downward treand stops and xojo have a steady new user count, that would be around 2030 :slightly_frowning_face:

Meanwhile B4X celebrated 100,000 users on October, 2019 and to this moment they have 104,732 that is 4,732 new users in 2.5 years, 5.18 New users per day.

Xojo could have being so much more :pensive:

3 Likes

Oh, Christians plugins are essential nowadays if you want to write something reasonable complex in Xojo! Without them, you walk quickly against some kind of wall.

6 Likes

Yep i spotted that too: https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35650#p204078
Apparently Geoff was ‘notified by someone on the XOJO team’
Given the context of many discussions on this forum, i did find that amusing :wink:

Nice to see Geoff takes the time to answer there.

Since B4X is free to use, they may have it easier to find developers.

1 Like

At that time of 100.000 users, B4A was not free. B4i isn’t (yet). And B4X is best known for its mobile platforms.

2 Likes