When not behind the keyboard... hobbies

Real race bikes have no mirrors. You get used to look over/under your shoulder. Thing is after that you tend to forget that the road bikes DO have mirrors LOL

The last real race I rode I crashed into a guy that had little experience riding without mirrors, I was attempting to pass him and he never saw me coming. I was riding 125cc that day so it wasn’t that bad :slight_smile:

my once and only crash happed when I was doing 40 mph. During my travels, the weather changed from nice and sunny to rain. Since there was no good place for me to pull off, I proceeded under a bridge where up ahead there was a green light at the intersection. for some reason, someone decided to stop giving me little time to react even though I had a good 5 to 6 car lengths ahead of me. I was able to drop 10 mph before I hydroplaned and low-sided the bike.

the fortunate side of things is, my body never touched the ground. My side Shad cases, oversized floorboards and front tire took the hit the road as I slide. I was lucky enough to just hold on for dear life until the bike came to a stop.

Sorry about your crash. Glad you didn’t hit the ground. I don’t really mind a broken bone but roadrash really really frightens me.

Oh and ABS is your friend on the street :wink:

Hence why my next bike will be ABS. What is silly on the Honda CTX700N (2015) version, in US it comes without ABS… but with automatic transmission it comes with ABS. In Canada, all of their N versions comes with ABS. In future models of the CTX700, they only make it in automatic which is no fun for the left foot :stuck_out_tongue:

I have actually been seriously thinking about trading in my BMW for a Honda Africa Twin WITH automatic transmission. I just need to come up with the cash for the difference, small detail that’s holding me up.

Honda is starting to introduce DCT to a lot of their line up. I have heard good things about the Africa Twin but I have no experience with it. Also with Honda there is its price tag. I mean Honda does make a good motorcycle, but I think Kawasaki will be in my future.

I owned a couple of Kawasaki Versys in my life and recently gave my Ninja 650 (the 2 cylinder version) to one of my sons. I really like the Versys, amazing machine for the price. The Kasawaki dealership here in Guatemala sucks big time, too bad.

There are
Our oldest patroller is 83 :slight_smile:
I have a long way to go to get there

83!! That is amazing. As I mentioned in the other thread I’m 53 and already feel old :frowning:

I really wish I had the mental strength of people that age that are still doing stuff like that.

Oh and I thought you were like 82 or something LOL

1 Like

other than progamming , I used to be into model trains… but can’t deal with the intricate modeling anymore… so I too ride… and this is what I have now … had 18 bikes over the last 45 years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Going back a few replies (boy, did this topic explode), almost everything in the gallery is mine. A few in the 2019 track day and the 2018 National Rally were taken by two friends of mine. 90% plus are mine, though.

And yes, the Concours at 750 pounds is a beast to take around the track. We did this as a training session with a racer coaching us, so the focus was on technique and not speed. That made it easier.

They’re affordable, at least compared to other large sport touring bikes, especially if you don’t mind a 2006 or earlier (older style like mine, not fuel injected). But here in the US, we’re seeing good deals even on the newer style, including new bikes that are two or three model years old but still hanging around the dealers. But we’re also seeing a lot of folks moving to the Versys or the VStrom and getting something a little lighter.

There are days I feel like i’m 82 … :slight_smile:
But those arent skiing days

gorgeous bike Dave!

man, if we all lived closer… would be one hell of a group ride!

When I was around 18-20 I used to coach the kids in our canoeing club. I’d just “retired” from active sports myself. And there was this young kid that asked me:

Kid: “Coach, how old are you?”
I: “What dow you think how old I am?”
Kid: “50?”

Man, that did make me feel old :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice bike!

That is one bike I have never had the pleasure of riding.

The BIG question: Are you a Nikon or a Canon guy? (Sony, Pentax and those other things don’t count LOL)

One of my grandkids told me not so long ago that I am an “anciano” I don’t know if there is a word for that in English, “elderly” is the closest thing that I can think of. Thing is that really hurt me lol.

woooooo… that is a Ford Vs Chevy debate!

I used to be big into Canon and then sold all of my gear for the Sony A6300 and A6000 mirrorless system.

When I did have my Canon setup, it grew so much that I ended up with a full size camera backpack and side bag. The moment I went to a family / friend event, I would sometimes get mistaken as the hired photographer :stuck_out_tongue: that’s when I knew, I would switch to more of a street photographer style camera… and the challenge for me was to do it all with one lens… 35 mm.

Its amazing how different it feels from a zoom lens to fix lens… I learned the hard way that I have to move to zoom in and out vs. the lens :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy:
I don’t speak Spanish, but from the looks of the word maybe “ancient” would be a better translation—and more hurtful, too :grin:

1 Like