Web Framework 2.0 Discussion

It will undoubtedly be a lot of work but I guess you could include an app-wide CSS theme to reduce the height of all the controls. At least that’s what Greg implied in the video.

Bootstrap has limited sizing by default. Form inputs and buttons have default, small, and large.

Controls being larger is probably not a problem for responsive containers, but it would be for fixed sized containers.

Until we see it we wont know what is involved nor how its going to affect everyone

I’m still surprised they havent shipped a pre-release yet

Indeed 22 is a bit small for mobile. In the app I’m working at the moment mobile users get their own pages with the appropriate size controls which are larger but not 34 point. For desktop users I have been using the 22 point default size. Changing the size for all controls will mean a big headache for me as it will break all of the desktop’s pages UI.

And we’ll have fun fun fun til the IDE takes the css away :stuck_out_tongue:

ok crappy beach boys mangling

1 Like

https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/482235

The best answer I can give you at the moment is that the new WebSDK is still under construction.

seems folks are going to be waiting

Yup, still looks a couple of months away.

And no hint there’s a new beta/pr-release/whatever-its-now-called everything any time soon

And it IS already April

Perhaps the MVPs found something that REALLY needed to be fixed

Hard to know isnt it ?
The silence about everything is … worrisome ? concerning ? frustrating ?
I was expecting that, given Geoff’s comments before that you dont want to miss this one, we would have seen something around conference time. As @HalGumbert and I both said we would have expected that they would have rolled something out at the conference and Geoff certainly hinted at that

Understandably when the conference had to be cancelled they took the time to work on more things
We’re now a week after the conference would have ended and nothing has shown up - yet

Speculating about causes, what we will or wont see, etc isnt useful because none of us know anything
It’s just disconcerting & disappointing that “something”, whatever it is, seems to be delaying things more than we all might have guessed.

But we all work with Xojo and know that patience is the ONLY way to deal with things

1 Like

Yes, agree. This was mentioned before that one (of many) different ways to transition to a new API is similar to the Python 2 to Python 3 upgrade. Python still supports two different versions of API, since some of the programs that have been create are so large that they will take a significant time to be upgraded to the new language or rewritten. To start API 2.0 and not continue to update 1.0 seems like a problem that other programming languages have learned, albeit the hard way.

Agreed
I still think they need to have a full test suite for API 2
At least to say “API 2 is at least as robust as API 1 and covers the same use cases”
There are a number of anecdotal reports and actual bug reports abut API 2 where going back to API 1 works that this seems an important assurance

still waiting but I have reason to believe we’re not going to see a pre-release this week

Perhaps I will be surprized if it’s released sooner than this but I still think it’s a couple of months away.

I think it will be released this month half-baked with missing features.

Little birdie??

Guessing based on history

Estimating based on things I can see :slight_smile:

They have already said there are a number of things that will come along later
Watch greg presentation about Web 2.0 and there are several “laters”
I think geoff mentions some in the Q & A session as well