Web Framework 2.0 Discussion

Available now for your viewing pleasure

1 Like

I’m impressed. I would like to have that.

I’d also like to see any improvements in controls be available in Desktop apps as well.

Controls in web are based on “non-native” components (jQuery, bootstrap) etc
So they utilize completely different API’s to create, draw etc

Unless Xojo moves to non-native controls for desktop I would expect these tow almost always be slightly different because of whats possible in certain SDKs for the web vs the desktop

You and me both, roll on launch day.

I appreciate how much hard work Greg has (I think almost single handedly) put into this.

I have to say though that I remain a little concerned. There wasn’t much mention of performance improvements in the talk. For example, how much caching is done in the browser for the Canvas? The Listbox still seemed very laggy and I didn’t like the frequent flashing of that slashed blue background indicating that the client was polling the server for more data. It seems to me that the client needs to cache upcoming rows a little more aggressively.

As for when it’ll come out - not sure. The fact the Listbox control still isn’t finished is a little alarming.

There were lots of “coming soon” features too which is unnerving: auto layout, form validation, canvas events, remote font loading. Most of these I would consider mandatory in modern web app production.

1 Like

This worried me on just about everything I’ve listened to so far

1 Like

apparently things arent ready for testing at this point in time anyway
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/480983

Right now I’m trying to get us to a point where we can let everyone start playing with it

patience

Unless Xojo moves to non-native controls for desktop I would expect these tow almost always be slightly different because of whats possible in certain SDKs for the web vs the desktop
Aye. Well, I’ll be jonesing for some desktop love if the Web controls are as good as planned.

Is quoting broken?

I got the impression that it’s finished or almost finished, but the preview isn’t.

not that I know of BUT I bet you need to put your reply on a new line AFTER the quote

I am convinced that you are going to write a web based PACS Garry :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I edited your post to fix the broken quote. For some reason the [/quote] part was in the wrong place?

1 Like

Maybe… :wink:

Vaporware. All of it.

1 Like

Just read the posts at https://forum.xojo.com/59163-web-2-0-questions/0#p480913

It feels like Web 2.0 is even further behind than I thought. I’m so glad I didn’t plan to go to XDC 2020.

Brock had a lot of good suggestions and comments, especially being able to place a container in a listbox row. I asked Greg about this about a year ago.

I don’t know why there are not Time and Timestamp pickers.

I’m sure Greg is working super hard and this will all pan out nicely. But when? Another year?

1 Like

Greg is now framework guy, web guy, IDE guy and lord knows what else

A lack of focus and resources and trying to do everything all at once seems to just have them stretched really thin

I work with Xojo
I’m used the waiting for the future to arrive :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. They have already said that 2019R3 is the LTS for API 1 which hints at Web 2 (in whatever form) being in the next release.

OH ???
I’ve never seen any such statement about an LTS version
I HAVE seen statements from Geoff that we can continue to use API 1 and that it wont be required to update when using newer versions and that this code should continue to operate as written