The Xojo store is on sale!

I upgraded MBS after I stopped paying for Xojo. Eventually I stopped updating MBS since Xojo was of no longer use.

I will still buy MBS soon, out of both necessity and appreciation for outstanding contribution to the community…

On another thought, I have not taken a Xojo licence since 2017, after testing each new build I found no reason why I need to pay them. From the perspective of my needs, it has only gone downhill since then. MBS on the other-hand, has all the new features that I want, and adds new and useful additions all the time.

Additionally, if it came from MBS you can be sure that you can begin using it in your important projects immediately, not having to wait for 5 or 10+ years for the showstoppers to be fixed.

Without the plugins, Xojo would only be half as useful. I used to have the MBS and also the Einhugur plugins. So not only Xojo lost a customer when I moved on to Java but also these two plugin vendors. Both plugin vendors did a fantastic job adding new features or when there were problems, bugs or questions. Christian from MBS answered my emails even late at night.
If many experienced users leave the Xojo ecosystem then sadly the plugin developers will also be affected.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The negativity on this forum needs calling out - you have a few disgruntled people who are irrationally attacking anyone who dares to try and defend Xojo.

I’ve consistently said it’s not perfect - anyone who says other development platforms & frameworks don’t have similar issues with long term bugs, missing functionality and inconsistent new feature delivery are being dishonest and in all honesty it needs calling out.

I’ll remove my account.

Well, when pointing out facts feels like an attack, there is something wrong either with the object you are deffending or with the persons that FEELS that is an attack.

3 Likes

Discourse has a system of disallowing removal of an account once there are posts

I dont know that anyone has said other tools are perfect
They have said others have far fewer bugs
In general thats been my experience with C/C++ and Java
Other langs may / may not be in such a state

I’ve also said complimentary things about Xojo
It has many aspects to recommend it

3 Likes

While it’s true we cannot see a gain currently, it doesn’t mean this wasn’t a step for gaining later.

1 Like

“A few”… that’s not a huge amount…

Every successful organization in IT historically understood the importance of backwards compatibility of systems and took great care towards not invalidating the prior art and knowledge base of its customers, even a great cost to the future features of the product.

Even Apple, as cutting edge and suborn as they are, employed this carefully.

Have you ever checked how much works against what doesn’t?
Perhaps a better proof than just listing what doesn’t work and telling “If these don’t work, all the product is broken”.

As I already said earlier, an MBS IDE (with a compiler/linker) is the only missing thing.

1 Like

I even remember once or twice, Christian answered my email in less than 5 seconds (I thought he answered before I actually sent the mail). That was “weird” but efficient :wink:

can we croudfund that?

1 Like

I agree with you, indeed.
Only when there’s a dead end, you are forced to “start a brand new format or API set”; would it be what Xojo felt into?
RealBasic, RealStudio and (IIRC) some Xojo releases kept compatibility with at least RB 5.5 (that’s before 2005), so it was done nice until recently (2017? When they first announced the next format would become backward incompatible).
Don’t know what’s going on with all these “recent” changes where quality is decreasing…

Like half cash, remaining escrow multiparty ETH contract? Award this to MBS and any others in our community with the skills to jump in.

I assume many do so just because they need M1 support. We are one of those.
But how G.P. behaves made us stop investing ANY money into Xojo. We started planning to move to other languages and started to refactor our Xojo Code to be able to remove more and more Plugin dependencies. :pensive:

2 Likes

I would be willing to throw into this pot myself to get a desktop based api under development, given some sensible specification and basic feature consensus. Any others out there willing to at least consider and discuss this?

Ridiculous. We do not mindlessly attack Xojo, we have loved and wanted to continue to love and enjoy this product far into the future… we cant because of piss-poor management choices on behalf of its founder who has chosen to prioritize shiny new marketing buzz features over basic stability.

Trying to paint the entire group of us as just spiteful and irrational Xojo haters just reeks of desperation as it does not hold up under basic examination of the facts.

1 Like

I would say: I AM NOT A XOJO HATER. That is not true and that is not the bullseye hit. The bullseye hit would be: I can not use xojo anymore cause of the quality problems, cause of the release policy and because of the failing with the Web 2.0. That they are not compatible with the version before: okay. That they are not able to do it so that you can at least use the projects instead of loosing everything: ridiculous. That they are not bringing out a Web 2.0 with at least the same functionalities which are the fundamental argument to use xojo is dangerous. Why? While it is painful for a developer not only to realize that he can not further compile his old programs with the new Version; he even can not refactor the code while to much functionality is gone. And that is something I have more and more problems with. And that is not arguing to need the refactoring as the way of reusing the code. It is the impossible reuse of code. It would be simple for example to implement style classes which are implemented by the IDE and later the Compiler as Styles for the Web App components. That would be a fast way to the old Webstyles in the new Xojo. But to decide that we do no styles makes it much more complex. Why they have not done it? While they had to less time. Eddies electronics Web… still no sourcecode available…community asks why.

But other Web Problems are burning deeper. Web 1 could set the Size of Buttons Wysiwyg. Web 1.0 not really. All this circumstances are showing that Web 2 was not to bring out. Now even now.

But like you could read: I am not attacking Xojo. I am attacking nothing. I am complaining that a product I have paid for and that much is not working like it was to expect following to the marketing speach. That is what we are angry about. Not Xojo as a product, not the company. Only the behavior and the handling of errors and Bugs

1 Like

ONLY
those missing things are ENORMOUS
Like saying “Hey I have a pebble I can make planets now! Only missing a few trillion tons of rock dirt water and the energy to do it but hey!”

2 Likes

start a kick starter and see what happens ?