Departures

https://www.oracle.com/java/moved-by-java/timeline/

• There are 38 billion active Java Virtual Machines (JVMs).
  • There are 21 billion cloud-connected JVMs.

not sure how this morphed from the announcement of greg departing Xojo into a debate about Java installations :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As opposed to McDonald’s, whose signs stopped counting the number of billions of hamburgers sold years ago. :slight_smile:

As to Greg, he is still quite visible on TOF. And that’s a good thing.

what ever. Greg will not for ever be along. So Xojo needs urgently somebody.

Java comparings are not necessary. it is one of the most used languages. not more. not less.

Yes. I was as well. We’ll see how long that lasts with his new role.

The bigger downside is he cant fix bugs etc - only explain whats happening and maybe why.

We’ll see how long it takes to hire a replacement and how long it takes that person to get up to speed once hired.

Personally I think Web 2 is at least non pause for some time

Only time will tell if he continues to post. A lot of that might depend on his new job and if he’s still working with Xojo (the product). I know once I stopped Xojo consulting I didn’t have much desire to post on the forum and discontinued my blog.

1 Like

Thats my running assumption as well

I’ve noticed the following, not sure if an important fact. But for a while he maintained his Xojo badge, then he popped up using a new PRO account, and later that PRO became a simple Tester account. He was from Major to Private as fast as a comet.

1 Like

What are you expecting? He is there as a user and not as an employee anymore. So he needs to fulfill the conditions for it. Now, as a tester, he is starting to be a normal member of the forum. Hope for him that he will not say anything wrong while 1000 years are really long.

If he was my ex-employee, one of the main engineers of my product, and we were ending our relationship in good terms, I would GIVE him special treatment, like a PRO license for free for 2 years or so.

1 Like

Even with pro you are tester when selecting tester as profile. So…

The company is sending a message “If you want to compile in Xojo, you must pay”. Right after their contract ending. It’s not a way to say “you are a valuable person to us, and we want you sticking around”. It’s like “we don’t care, but if you want to test some software for free for us, and submit some feedback, your newbie account is set to it”.

Simple tester? The Tester Implies the Pro, but the forum can display only one group, Maybe the last added…

Nope. Anyone can have a Tester account, even someone without a license. A simple Tester account is not able to build, just debug. If you ask, and Xojo agrees, you can get access to the testers area. It’s just it, access to the testers area and Beta reports.

Nope, you are confused, an account in the forum is NOT the same as having a licence.

“PRO” and “TESTER” are just GROUPS in the forum to limit access and privileges inside the forum itself, NOT what a user can compile or not with xojo or even having or not a licence.

1 Like

Tester requires a current license (not necessarily Pro) and permission from Xojo.
A free Raspberry pi license will allow you to run a pre-release. You need access to the Testers group to download the pre-release builds.

it can display more than one

Don’t panic, go to his profile and see the groups that he is part of:

1 Like

The job offer is already offline, so I’d assume they have candidates.

1 Like

Anybody can apply to be a tester even if they don’t have a current license.

1 Like