Departures

I echo @MonkeybreadSoftware, do consider throwing your hat back in @thommcgrath if you still have a good relationship with Geoff and the rest of the team.

I’ve often fantasised about working for Xojo simply because it’s my favourite tool. I suspect they couldn’t afford me full time but also I have no interest in the web framework.

I’d certainly be interested in working on the IDE though. Seem to spend my like writing mini IDEs and parsers in Xojo these days.

1 Like

We want names and details… all the gory bits :wink:

Thanks guys. Geoff knows my work and knows how to reach me. If he wants me on the team again, I’d at least discuss it. I’m not convinced it’s right for me in my life right now, but I’d at least discuss it.

But what I won’t do is apply to be the web engineer, and intentionally try to migrate to a different position. That’s not fair to Web Edition. What they are looking for right now is a web engineer, and that’s absolutely what I don’t want to be doing.

I think that is not the right place to do that. It should be private I believe. Because there is no reason to expose the names of employees and their fights which where internally and which ended while these people are not there anymore.

@thommcgrath I can understand your position to 100%. It’s not your’s to be a web engineer and so you are not applying for it. As far as I can see: that is more than fair. If they want you back, you would discuss. And yes, there would be much work you could do to improve Xojo. That’s it. Not WebOnly but on many places.

What they urgently need is somebody which helps with Web engineering. What ever: I believe that if they want you for this, Geoff would try to get you for the position he needs you. Maybe they can not because Web is at that moment most important: then it is not your way as far as I understood your reply. I can understand that fully.

Part of me would love to tell the tale. I’m sure this forum would love to read it too. But I can’t tell the story without speaking ill of some people. Myself included, which I don’t mind because I’m not perfect and I did make some significant mistakes. But the story isn’t just about me, so I’ll continue to keep it to myself.

2 Likes

Get with the 21st century, Thorsten, airing your dirty laundry online is de regueur :wink:

1 Like

There is a difference between dirty laundry in case of a product and the marketing behavior of a company and private dirty laundry of employees in a company. In my believing they all have a right for their privacy and I strongly recommend that to other people also. I would by self not accept that it would be done with me and so I can’t accept it to do that with others. Like I said: the privacy is here more important. And like Tom said: he made errors, they made errors, stories like that you’d have in every company. But that is nothing for public discussions. Not even a bit.

2 Likes

Unlikely
Geoff is … stubborn
Not sure that is quite the right word but its close enough ?

Beside all the comments on this forum, Xojo seems to sell well as far as I see on the plugin sales.

That’s one interpretation. The other one is that Xojo has become too buggy for serious work without plugins to replace broken or provide more functionality.

Example: MapLocation has serious shortcomings that make it unusable for most use cases → needs MBS plugins.

Networking? Better use MBS.

Etc

1 Like

Even for Database you’ll need the right Plugins instead of the Xojo ones. That is reality for Xojo users. So as more users get that their problems are gone when using Plugin i.e. for Database they use it. Look on Web 2.0 and Graffitisuite Plugins, look on the big amount of MBS Plugins. Even I had to write a Java Plugin for using Java Databases for my uses while the possible solutions of Xojo were not applicable. So in my personal view Xojo has leaks which are already also remembered by Citizen Developers. And they accept to buy the plugins. That makes a good Business for Plugin Writers but not for the Customer. I mean: look on Java, C#, even Delphi. All of them are coming with a good, reliable and fast working Database Interface.

Does that not depend on the specific database? I’m using the PostgreSQL Plugin and that looks to be working OK for my needs so far.

-Karen

For MYSQL, SQLITE and POSTGRESQL I made Performance Tests comparing Xojo and Java. The difference was more than significant. That was the day I started to write REST API Interfaces for my Xojo Apps to handle all Database Stuffs directly with Java.

I think you mean “holes” not leaks.

In any case i try to keep plugins to a minimum… When i use plugins it’s mostly just a few of the Einhugur set (which is vert reasonably priced)… though Xojo has overtime build in some of the functionality …

But from some things I had to spend more… everything I do needs to be X-Platfrom Mac and Win.

For a Project a few years ago I needed a good graphing package so I went with MBS ChartDirector Plugin. Hated spending the money as i was not making money with it… but did.

My current project needed a way to be able to display PDFs downloaded from a database that the user could not possibly save or print…

As I don’t know HTML or JavaScript and don’t have the time(or desire) to learn them, something like modifying PDF.JS for use in the HTMLViewer was not an option.

The only thing I knew that would work in Xojo X-Platform to display PDFs in a Xojo window was the pro version of the MBS DynaPDF plugin which costs $1000!!!..

That as too much for me… But this project was one that i could convince my employer to buy the plugin for me… but now I had better produce! In the past projects I initiated were totally on my own and it did not matter if they saw the light of day or not.

Anyway I agree Xojo needs more functionality built-in if they are targeting “citizen developers”, as we are much more cost sensitive than Pros.

-Karen

All my Desktop Solutions (for example Therapy Program Compiler for my Therapy Systems) have to be available for Windows, Mac and Linux and (only for a few customers which have it running) Unix OS. I have PDF Generating, Viewing, Managing, editing, I have Graphics, I have Databases (all kinds of because I connect to many external Systems). Xojo? Was no alternative for that. Therefore I wrote all my Stuff in Java. Not even thinking to write in Xojo. Why? Look at your calculation before…I had nothing to pay. Ah, I forgot: I have to import and export Excel Sheets, CSV-Files and Numbers Files. Works without to much thinking about all of this.

Normally Xojo should be able to do but…nope. To complex, to many Bugs, to less functionality. Only for you to understand my point of view.

FWIW Einhugur has good functionality for reading and writing Excel Files from Xojo.

I wish more was included in Xojo… not being a Pro and having a full time non coding job, I don’t have the time to get fluent in all those technologies. At this point, using only Xojo for over 20 years, it would be hard for me to switch to anything else.

-Karen

I only use Sqlite and Postgres, and for my needs Xojo has been fast enough.

-Karen

Importers are available for java for free.

Ach Thorsten… just one picture saying everything about Java…

2015 was 13 billion devices, 15 billion devices for 2016 and more than 12 million active Java developers worldwide for 2017…

Exactly. That’s why I am working with Java for my Devices. Android runs also with Java and Kotlin.

1 Like