ARM on desktop?

Haven’t had any issues here. I’m curious what problems you’ve had. Maybe I’ll start a new thread to not derail this one.

Of course.
We expect customers to pay, so we pay ourselves for good software.

Fortunately for me, I don’t need performance from VB, I need cheap but correct emulation so I can run WIn7/10. It does that OK.

Buying Windows from Parallels

Of course I meant there is an option within Parallels that allows one to buy windows from MS through parallels

Windows 10 is free.

We also found VirtualBox to be extremely slow.
We currently use VMWare Fusion but the shared folder feature is extremely slow. Apparently, Parallels has much faster shared folder access.

I believe the upgrade to Windows 10 is free. I could be wrong

It is.

I pay for the convenience of using parallels over other VMs

Well, I’m sure it’s not because of the multiple threads here but posted today:

https://blog.xojo.com/2017/09/29/what-it-means-for-your-xojo-projects-if-mac-goes-arm/?utm_campaign=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Not today. September 29, 2017.

Doh!
Just popped into Facebook feed today, didn’t check actual publication day…

On further inspection they pushed this on Facebook 2 hours ago.

The publication date went unnoticed - sorry

Ah yes today in history … thanks facebook

Nope. Published two hours ago - they just pushed an old link

Nah! No need to be sorry

Some interesting bit in a link posted on the other forum
https://www.mactechnews.de/news/article/Portierung-einer-Mac-App-auf-Apple-Silicon-am-Beispiel-von-MacStammbaum-175298.html

Apple even continues to support OpenGL and OpenCL on “Apple Silicon Macs” - there is only one small limitation with OpenCL: OpenCL compute programs cannot be executed on the CPU, but only on the GPU.

There are two different Xcode downloads on the Apple Developer Connection: First, Xcode 12 with support for iOS 14, macOS Big Sur and watchOS 7. Another download link leads to Xcode 12 for universal apps. This version brings support for the new “Universal 2” format, which enables ARM and Intel code components in a single app. Xcode 12 changes the project when it is opened so that the standard architectures include “ARM” for macOS apps:

This is a big deal !

MacFamilyTree could be compiled as a Universal 2 app without any code changes

Yep. I’ve posted about it yesterday. Wwdc 2020 _

Sure - this was a post related to it actually being done
Although I dont get the issue with booleans and they dont elaborate

I tried my plugins here, too.
Beside missing libraries, which I have not yet recompiled, this is possible to do.
But first let’s wait and see when Xojo has time for this.

The issue with booleans is described here under the section “Treat BOOL Variables as Binary Values”:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/addressing_architectural_differences_in_your_macos_code

Unfortunately, it looks like the x86_64 translation isn’t 100% as SIMD code (SSE / AVX) does not work.

Edit.
I posted the wrong link: