ARM on desktop?

Thanks for the link

That will break Xojo apps in some unique ways I’m sure

There are some other fun things in there as well probably for declares like

To fix dynamic-dispatching issues in your code, define a type-safe function pointer instead of calling objc_msgSend directly.

Apple silicon and Intel-based Mac computers handle some float-to-int conversions differently. To illustrate one of the differences, consider the conversion of the floating-point representation of infinity to a uint32_t or int32_t value:

FUN !

Xojo compiler can’t do variable arguments with ARM, which causes trouble for some functions.

It will most certainly break ours )-:

Ouch !

Well, it is needed to be a real fan to keep purchasing something that is deliberately designed to have a bad performance, just for the brand.

The inflammatory and insulting part, it is just a case for, “If the shoe fits…”

Anyway, a minuscle heat sinc without air flow that is not even in direct contact with the processor?
It is a device enginered for having a bad performance and a short life span.

drop the “fanboys” business would you ?
its just inflammatory & insulting at the same time and really not necessary in a civil discussion

EDIT : the macBook Air has always been crippled IMHO
Light - yes
Fastest laptop - not a chance
What this video shows is “could it be better” - definitely
But the point of the Air was to be small, fast enough, & light enough for those folks who don’t need a full time laptop and need one to go out occasionally
The MBP 13" these guys compare it to is designed more for better performance and I’m sure there are things Apple could have done to boost that further

1 Like

Exactly my use case. SWMBO uses it for Zoom from time to time, I take it on holiday to keep up with Xojo work. I might look at testing Big Sur etc there.

Yeah I need to switch the T2 chip settings to make it so I can use an external drive to boot from and put Big Sur on an external
Not a chance I’m putting it on my main machine :slight_smile:

SHIT

Yeah I dunno how that one is going to affect people doing sophisticated declares
but it seemed REALLY relevant

The example they give MIGHT be translatable into Xojo with a fixed param list but then I dunno what Xojo assumes the calling conventions are ?

Time to start asking the “compiler guy” these questions I guess