ARM on desktop?

Apple will announce move to ARM-based Macs later this month, says report

Interesting if real…
I wonder what the impact will be for XOJO?

Windows, Linux and MacOS for ARM are real. The dates of GA releases and devices are the questions. MacOS for ARM and their laptop were expected for 2020/21, the “this month” is just the surprise. The current line of X86 devices will continue, the ARM flavor is just another one, so I expect Xojo just delaying the new platform and continuing serving the current ones until they could serve the new one.

Considering it’s WWDC time it is not really a surprise …

But whoever came up with the name “Kalamata” :man_facepalming: - anyone else thinking that it sounds a lot like “Calamity”?

1 Like

Arent Kalamata’s a kind of olive ?

I wonder if there will be a creeping up from the lowest spec MacOS hardware to the top MacBook, hopefully not to the Pro, but who knows I wonder also how quickly the jump will be to replace as much as possible with ARM.

I can not see this being any issue for performance in my use of a PC, but the compiler to work on it, that might be a different story?

Hmmm, if you are worried about running Windows on MacOS then Microsoft has a version of Windows for ARM processors. I guess Linux can run on ARM too?

So the question is whether Parallels and VMware are ready when the ARM Macs launch … which I guess they will be.

Hmm… Kalamata is also a Greek city. A historical one, that have a interesting fact, MAYBE related to the Apple x Intel conflict. Kalamata was occupied by the Ottomans for almost 200 years until the Greek Revolution STARTED there, when the Greeks took the city back declaring war on the Turks.

Isn’t the raspberry Pi ARM - Linux ? I’m just answereing based on what I believe I remember from the quick read I did on the rasperry Pi documentation. My point is I believe Linux is ARM capable.

Prallels? I guess they are working hard on this and will be ready.

Kalamata is also a color #5f5b4c :slight_smile:

Kalamata sounds like how Cartman (from South Park) would say calamity.

Yes
The pi is ARM
But having a 64 bit capable compiler is not the same as being able to generate apps for it
In theory that should just be a recompile of existing frameworks for 64 bit BUT the proof remains in the pudding
But it should not be as hard as supporting an entirely new platform
At least as far as Xojo goes

1 Like

Lat to the party (as always).

It’s my understanding that Catalyst is designed to allow the macOS to run the Intel compiled apps that Apple builds for the iOS simulator.

So the easiest thing for them to do would be to allow iPad apps to run natively on the ARM mac (which at this point I’m expecting is just a fork of iPadOS with a different GUI).

If this is true, all Xojo devs will need to do is to make iPad apps and run them on the iPad/ARMMac. As for Intel based Macs… Up to Xojo what they choose to do, bearing in mind that Catalyst apps are sorta Catalina only (and form what I can tell, Catalyst is kinda buggy on Catalina).

Which is not a good thing considering the state of Xojo for iOS, perhaps this will force Xojo to up their game in that platform. Or am I reading this wrong?

In it’s current state, I will agree with you, but I believe this one of the reasons why they prioritized API 2.0 for iOS over “workers”.

To be honest, if it all comes true, it may be the only reason why I’d switch to API 2.0, as in theory it would be an easier transition than to Swift. If I had to leave Xojo, I’d prefer to use Objective-C over Swift, but I don;t see that as an option going forwards.

I personally believe there are other reasons for this
Cant prove any of it but thats my belief

1 Like

“The proof of the pudding is in the eating”, @npalardy. (It’s one of those oft-misquoted quotes…)

guilty

1 Like

I think it’s interesting from the point of view of direction of travel… convergence of traditional PCs/Laptops with mobile devices is just a step closer on all platforms with this…

For such a long time “mobile” meant “lower energy consumption and not very powerful CPU’s”
That really has changed a lot in the past decade - ARM can still be “low power” which is great for mobile and for giant data centers sucking back gigawatts
And ARM performance has really gotten a kick in the pants and come way up
Apple team has really pushed things a long way based on ARM’s original designs
I have no idea what Apple’s team has tweaked to make their 64 bit chips so darned fast but whatever it is it seems to work when you look at things like Geekbench etc comparing iPads to conventional desktop

And that may be why rumours like this come up - maybe they’ll be true
We will have to wait and see as this isnt the first time this sort of rumour has floated out

But I think for things like Parallels and other VMs that currently dont have to emulate the Intel CPU it could be a real performance hit. I’d hate to go back to Parallels having to emulate the Intel CPU like they did in the PPC days. That would really suck

I am sure there is going to be another Rosetta based solution during the switch between intel to arm