ARM on desktop?

I’d be stunned if there wasnt something
I suppose if Apple had the bit code for every app in the stores they could just dynamically recompile it for ARM when you download an app for your machine
I think app thinning is kind of that way - they only send you the right code for the kind of CPU you have

Now why would they need to do that if Windows already runs on ARM?

There are VM’s you can install that arent Windows ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Linux runs on ARM too …

There are others than Windows & Linux :slight_smile:
For instance FreeBSD is “tier 2” on ARM - tier one on Intel
And that has a definite meaning for FreeBSD
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/archs.html

More broad based support for ARM in servers & desktops is definitely on the rise but its not everywhere - yet

Are those others a big earner for Parallels and VMware?

For all the people I know that run a VM it is for Windows and Linux, and then part of the solution becomes to install the appropriate Windows or Linux version.

Parallels doesnt sell any of these - at least I’ve never bought Windows or Linux from them
They sell a VM engine and you can install just about any VM on it you want

I bought windows 10 from parallels just recently. They offer it as an option when one sets up parallels for the first time.

well son of a gun … never knew that
I just renew my subscription annually so maybe they started doing this after I bought it

1 Like

Sigh. Come on Norman, you KNOW what I mean. People buy Parallels to run Windows and to a lesser degree Linux - but I don’t think any of the other options are a big incentive to buy a VM.

That of course depends on what you do, what you try to target, etc
But yes, Windows & Linux are probably the two primary reasons people get Parallels for a Mac

Although, as you can see Hector did actually BUY windows through parallels
I had no idea you could actually do that :stuck_out_tongue:

Had we been sitting having a beer this confusion would have been quickly resolved :stuck_out_tongue:
Or at least we’d have agreed to have another beer !

Sorry, can’t drink beer … and yes, I am German …

In other forums, there’s people saying that if they can’t run Windows on a new Mac, then they won’t be getting a new Mac. I don’t know the percentage, but there’s some seriously vocal users who enjoy having a Mac that can do Mac and can do Windows.

I’m definitely in that group

I read this thread and immediately thought ‘oh no, I can no longer run VMWare (do people actually use parallels?)’
but then realized that I no longer have anything that needs any windows app at all, my last customer needing support for a very ancient embedded PIC basic compiler is now considering my offer to rewrite in C in MPLAB-X, yes or no I no longer have a single reason to use a VM.
I can get a crappy windows laptop for about the same as a VM subscription, it can boot to linux also for almost nothing.

I have to say my immediate reaction was a knee jerk, I now don’t care about running windows on an ARM Mac, there is no point, BUT running my Mac intel stuff, thats a different story!!! and obviously Xojo 19r1.

Well, I would say the expectation is that Mac Apps become kind of fat binaries again (as they were in the transition from PowerPC to Intel). But when you buy in the App Store then only the part relevant for your Mac will be downloaded.

Apps that don’t offer fat binaries will quickly be considered obsolete.

There’s lots of questions.

For me the most significant is “Does UIKitOnMac co-exist with Cocoa or to replace it”?

From a ROI optimization POV; the most efficient way I can see is to forget Cocoa, simply reskin iPadOS and build a form factor that’s basically an iPad Pro with an attached keyboard and sans Touch screen. Then watch as the profit increases, even while sales continue to slide.

One of the rumors I read, said Apple only started this project in 2018, I personally feel that given the short time frame and the work done for UIKitOnMac, it’s most likely to be my biggest concern.

We’ll find out in less than a fortnight.

I hope the name will not be Tahoe…

Do people actually pay for a VM when you can just use VirtualBox?

Yes
VirtualBox performance is horrible on the exact same MBP here
I can run Windows 10, Windows 7, and Mint 19.2 in 3 different VM’s, simultaneously, all at full speed and VirtualBox crawls
There are other reasons but thats the big one for me