Xojo Banning and Deleting Posts

He didn’t really say what the problem is for him. Claiming that posting a 2 lines of code is a violation of the copyright is rather odd. But when you post vague problems what do you expect?

He originally had posted (in a reply) a large chunk of the code.

On the dropbox zip he posted:

VirusTotal

On the exe in the dropbox zip he posted:

VirusTotal

I did some due diligence before spending time on a new user that seemed more interested in having someone do his work for him than “learning xojo” which is where I found the source code on the net.

I’d have helped him in a heartbeat if his response was something like “oh sorry I got it off the net too and the copyright was missing, my bad”, but gauging his personality type from his response I don’t think I’ll bother. That and a little internet digging found what he uses his apps for, his company, website, youtube, address, phone number etc etc. I’ll keep away from that one.

3 Likes

Are you sure the guy is a real person? Because after reading his latest rant I find it hard to believe he isn’t just trolling at TOF. Wow.

He’s a Windows user - what do you expect?

:grin:

No idea but its not hard to see him get increasingly frustrated with the replies he got

1 Like

Be nice
@anon72844311 is too and he doesnt rant - often :stuck_out_tongue:

11 posts were split to a new topic: Labelling others

This is the problem isn’t it? I mean the product definitely has some good aspects; but instead of engaging with those of you that want to make this your mainstream workhorse and addressing the issues that are stopping you from doing this, they seem to be pushing some airy-fairy agenda and ban anyone who disagrees with this.

Now if XOJO was a giant in the sector and didn’t care if it lost users, didn’t depend financially of users coming or going, and were trying to create their ideal of an IDE and language, that would be OK business-wise.

The problem is that none of the above is true…

2 Likes

They could do a better Job. I am not even sure if they would have the market to have more success so they could have more employees and more development success. But it is like all time the decision of their CEO and nothing else.

Even IF I would try something, there is no effect. Refactoring all stuffs to Java and forget about Xojo was my way to handle. And that was a good way for me.Not for everybody. Xojo is history and technical debt. It is the management which can or would have to change it,

Here comes the next one

Amy Sink

(How scary is moving from 2019 R1.1 to the 2021 R1 - #44 by Amy_Sink - Web - Xojo Programming Forum)

Xojo a marketing has been slowly slipping into the territories of lying for some time. They state it’s cross platform but it’s no where near cross platform right now when considering all the targets and apis. Might even be false advertising at this point in time.

If you suspect a post will be deleted, you should screenshot it.

But see: it’s not deleted until now. It will possibly. And a ban could also be the result. That might come up from the beginning of waking ut even between the cool aid drinkers on TOF. Cause cool aid will not help against Bugs. Whatever.
Even in Web 1.0 it was not without contacting html, Javascript and css. That is a myth. If you went deeper in the functionality you still needed it. However. I provide interfaces of new Versions always and only with Java Webswing Interface. Better Solution.

Amy’s first post is having a stab at xojo, second is turning the knife. I smell a sock account, but I don’t think it will be removed as it’ll be jumped on by the naysayers, however it doesn’t really “Add to the discussion with constructive comments” so it could be removed. However the “people” that report certain users aren’t triggered by the name so it might fly under those “people’s” radars.

Even if. It shows how it is. Nothing else. And it is sad that it is needed in this way

Oh very much so, if that person is a legit new user, it just goes to show how Xojo is harming its image. We all know it happens, marketing “double speak” aka bs.

Even things like Why building apps for macOS requires a Mac – Xojo Programming Blog contain lies or errors its cringe, they just don’t seem to be able to see it.

In one sentence Geoff says “While creating our own tools for these Apple technologies is possible” then a few lines down says “Whatever solution we come up with in the future will ultimately require a Mac to build for macOS”. Literally he’s saying, yes, we’re have the knowledge to do it, then literally two sentences later says, no, you’d need a mac anyway, so which is it, is it possible or not? Very odd indeed, I’ve pulled Geoff up a few times about embellishing his statements, the last was his claim that Xojo was the first cross-platform tool to support apple silicon, which it wasn’t by about a week.

the relevant post just for posterity

You very right
Hoping bugs will get fixed doesnt make it happen
Wishing the product would do X Y or Z doesnt make it happen

Actions speak far louder than words
If they want a stable reliable robust scalable product they need to act like they do
Instead we get new features like hiding the line number toggle in preferences ?
A code editor that now refreshes so badly I’m not sure what it really is showing (see http://feedback.xojo.com/case/65261)
Or that doesnt indent code properly because spacing is off ? http://feedback.xojo.com/case/65339

Yes R2 fixed a number of web 2.0 bugs
It still needs a ton - I still have nearly 20 against JUST the web listbox
And 50 more about other aspects

Address the bugs and I would guess the frequent criticisms would slow
As its now every new release bring new features, new things we might all go myeh to, and new bugs
And so you end up with threads like “How dangerous is it”

From a theoretical perspective I suppose its possible
Most of the code for signing is open sourced by Apple
But the most crucial pieces for managing certain aspects of security arent
So you’d have to reverse engineer that, port it then try & keep up with whatever changes Apple makes

This isnt practical

You could compile the code to object form
Linking might be more tricky - not sure if everything needed to do that on a non-Apple platform has been ported. I’ve not looked so it may be it may not be.

Building a bundled app is a pain since it requires support for things that non-Apple platforms dont support. So it has to finally be built intosomething like a zip file or GZ that does support mechanisms like aliases. THis CAN be done but its a pain

So you might be able to build - but you still need a Mac to sign regardless

Nice is that I can provide jar Files with Java. There at least the JDK/JRE is a signed App. The jar file has not to be notarized. Makes it more simple in my test environment. For deployment I am notarizing the Java Apps while packaging as self running executables and so I have to pack them.