Xojo Android Summer Preview

Makes me wonder how many others have long forgotten that as well

and totally sucked bigtime when released :sob:

1 Like

I know I am not going to tell you anything you didn’t know but

In Spain, you know you are.

I can’t say how relevant in terms of Xojo developers the countries where Android is more present are, but you know it’s not like you said everywhere.

Julen

It sure will not attract any new non-Xojo users due to its limitations. And you will not get any students excited with a button and table, knowing those devices have neat hardware to play with but are not accessible out-of-the-box. Using Declares could maybe work, but then where’s the RAD in using Xojo?

It really depends on who is your audience. For some app that is sold on the store or for use on the workfloor. Almost all our clients want our software to work on relative cheap ruggedized phones as they are prone to break somewhere in the process (e.g. on construction sites). Android is the prefect solution here. But again, here you often need direct access to the hardware (cameras or build-in barcode scanners).

It is not enough nowadays to just get ‘your desktop app on a mobile’ as Xojo does. The clients questions quickly go to other aspects like MQTT, NFC, Barcodes, Firebase, etc, far beyond just having the UI transfered to a mobile. Something Xojo is ignoring (up to this point) completely.

It was some Ram Kumar in January 20, 2010 More than 11 YEARS ago.

And looks like he just suggested it because he thaught that android apps were just “linux binaries”, so it would be easy to adapt the linux supponrt in RealBasic to Android :man_facepalming:t2:

Afther that… if the Feature request is there, just received points.

It is funny to think that B4A was born almost a year after this request. And when B4A received many petitions to make iOS apps, they anounced and delivered in months, back in 2014 (much more feature complete than the first xojo version and including the ability to develop iOS apps without having a Mac)

3 Likes

And B4X is a one man shop as far as I know :open_mouth: . That makes it even more insane that Xojo havent deleivered anything usefull in this area yet

If Xojo still isn’t ready in 2021 for Android what did they have in 2017?

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been wondering. To me this says what they showed us in 2017 was hard coded BS. Whenever I hear about something new from Xojo I take it with a grain of salt and just assume they haven’t even started work on it yet.

7 Likes

During Geoff’s presentation at the MBS conference in Cologne, Geoff had a slide displayed with the title “What’s taking so fucking long?”. From this presentation I remember that Xojo started from scratch with the Android framework three times, I think even four times. So that might be one of the reasons.

Christian Schmitz offers the video recording/Presentation certainly still conference topics.

When I have to restart the development one time it isn’t acceptable but… But more than one time would result in any other company in rolling heads. Inacceptable while it shows that the programmers have no Idea how to handle. That makes o sense @all. And therefore others are faster like B4J, B4I, B4A which is a Java based Basic Language which can do all platforms well.

That is not true. B4I is Objective C Based and B4R is C Based.

Yes you’re right I was to fast in writing. Makes no change: runs and works on all platforms with the same former Java based Basic dialect which they transferred also to Objective C and C. Sorry for the not precisely written informations

They had a video preview. And a small app coded in B4A.

That was mean and maybe fitting

Thats funny as hell :stuck_out_tongue:

And while I doubt that is what they did… I sure would not put it past them

You’re right Dave and it was a Bad joke. They presented what they had running that time after years what is the same or maybe worse painfull looking on the development time they had. Not forgetting that the argument android was for me a massive one cause I wanted to have the toolchain web android iOS close together. That was my view on it

I forget what year it was (circa 2007-ish?) but when they first showed off their first Cocoa implementation at a Real World (before it was renamed to XDC) most of us in attendance were like, “Seriously, WTF! This will never fly.” It depended on a ton of declares and events and just plain weird code. And IIRC they scrapped what they had and started over because no one would ever use it.

The Xojo framework is another road they went down that they’ve had to redo. There were parts of the Xojo framework that were pretty good (IMO) but once they decided to go to API2 that forced a rewrite to much of iOS. And I think we can agree that iOS suffered because of it. How many hoops did we have to jump through for Auto and Text data types?

So there is ample history of them going down the wrong path and having to redo the work. I think that’s indicative of poor leadership.

4 Likes

It was mostly kind of pointless for desktop as well IMO with questionable gain…

• Karen
1 Like

Where as in Taiwan, I am finding more and more people I know, are giving up on Apple. In our local group, it used to be almost everyone had an iPhone and a Mac. Now Android is more popular and butterfly keyboard fiasco has really put people off Apple laptops (because everyone who had one in our group has had at least one keyboard replacement).

The courageous decision to remove the headphone jack, really worked against Apple as a 3.5mm jack is still important for most in our group.

One of my friends took his iPhone 6 in because it was so slow and was recommended to buy an iPhone 8, a couple of weeks later is when we all found out that Apple were slowing devices down (to protect something). He was furious, the return window in Taiwan is tiny and Apple wouldn’t allow it. That was the last iPhone he bought.

I myself bought my first Android phone this year. I’ve been waiting since iOS 9 for Apple to fix bugs in Apple Music, they still haven’t, if I buy another iPhone I know it’s going to have the same issues as my last. So I am now trying Android.