Xojo Android Summer Preview

Emile what has the Xojo Development to do with the Palm Pilot? Nothing! Even the timeing problems of palm have nothing to do with it. You can not compare Palm with Xojo, Hawkins, Colligan and Dubinsky founded palm and had a really big development team. As Hawkins was neuro scientist he was the Idea-spender. They had a much bigger development plant than xojo but they had also a new Idea they where developing and they had a real technological revolution to build.

The difference to xojo is that xojo does not have to build a technology revolution. They build along a concept of development in Kotlin for Android, in Xcode for IOS and in C++ for all other platforms. Therefore they use LLVM and that’s it. The Idea behind Xojo is great. No really no question. And the Idea of the usability behind Xojo is also really, really great. But they can not get ready with this development even if they really want to.

The takeaway from that video?
‘Come back in a year’

5 Likes

If they had been able to say “expect this in 3 months” or something to give a rough date that might have been nice (and dangerous if they had missed it)
But to just say “here’s where we are today” with a decently long list of “this doesnt work this doesnt work” I tend to agree with "see us next year:

IMHO There is a way that they could have reached this goal a lot earlier, in fact it would help improve Xojo massively.

Utilize the community. Provide the base target and the ability to create declares to select member of the community, provide each willing (and paid) member of the community with help pages for Xojo API, so they know the signature of the function and what it should do. The community members then write the declares / code to match the help document.

It doesn’t require that each member have a complete understanding of the entire Xojo framework, they’re only providing that part. Once it’s been QA approved by Xojo and integrated, that member then receives payment.

The trouble is it would require knowledgeable, skilled and willing people to do this job. Many of the people who I think would fit bill are not too happy with Xojo at the moment.

I’ve suggested on more than one occasion that I’d really like to fix something or provide missing functionality (but not for FREE). Greg is massively overworked, and I can help.

But my last e-mail to Geoff went unanswered.

Just like when Xojo added Ad-Hoc code signing for ARM, they all know what I do, but I could tell from watching the forum that I would have saved them some time, if they’d simply asked.

This whole thing makes me sad.

much of the framework is not declares though
its C/C++ or whatever they are using on Android (maybe kotlin)

that really limits who can assist in any meaningful way

That’s C++ into the OS libraries to call API right?

Yeah it would be C++ that then calls the relevant OS API
Basically the plugin would create and maintain a reference to the control etc and then expose whatever API

@MonkeybreadSoftware or @einhugur would be better people to ask details

We’ll have yet another video for you to watch by then!

1 Like

“Xojo Android Summer 20212 Preview”

2 Likes

Summer preview 2030

1 Like

I just don’t care a single bit about android to start with, but if forced to do an app its super easy in B4 and, free these days.

just imagine if xojo android were currently 100% competitive with the market from a function and class support, which is never going to happen, it will also need paying for and be expensive.

there is no way it can ever be worth extra, unless a user has never written for android and only uses xojo for all their code support.

any current android programmer in the world today would just use their current and very good options.
plus how would an already competent android programmer hear about xojo and then be tempted to use it, its just a super uphill struggle that a tiny number of user just can never invest enough into to make it fly.

it would take a lot of 99c sales (if you can get anyone to pay for an android app) to cover the probably 299$ price tag.

really, use B4, sadly only windows, but despite that, completely usable.

and NO, I do not want to sit bashing xojo, but honestly, its just too easy and xojo supply all the ammunition.

By the same token as what DOJ said about Android… .it applies to iOS as well

Xojo is far from feature complete… and Swift if super easy to learn, and it too is FREE

1 Like

It definitely seems that the selling point is TO current Xojo users to be able to expand what they do to include Android
Anyone needing to do so for a client has probably already done “something else” other than “Oh just wait it will be great when …” for 5 years

I’m not sure who is STILL waiting for Xojo Android :man_shrugging:

Xojo?

4 Likes

yes Dave, same applies, iOS on xojo is no iOS by any other measure.

to move your question along Norm, who actually wanted it in the first place, who voted for it to be number one in xojo wish list for such a long period, quite honestly, how many people in the xojo community then or now actually spend any practical time on android in any form, as a user of android driven products, or clients desperate to have an android app written that is complimentary to the other xojo apps they produce for that client.

I do not have anything android in my life, nor do any of my family, nor the people in the larger community I support as ‘the computer guy’, am I unusual (and that is a question only in this context!) where android is utterly unimportant in every way.

I remember being so annoyed about the wasted resources put into an obviously wasted path, and sadly it still annoys me, not just android, but all the other seemingly obvious dead end paths that are now pursued in xojo land.

I stepped off the xojo waggon, but I would like to get back on it when it starts to resemble a viable product again, oops sorry, I am fucking dreaming again.

1 Like

no idea
never could looks at specific users to know
BUT i would suspect it was folks doing “cross platform work” where client said “we want a desktop web ios & android version”
but that IS just aguess
No idea currently as its certainly not me

no idea but again i would suspect its people who wanted it for “parity”
No idea if they are still waiting after 5 years or just did something else and never bothered to move their points around

From my perspective - 0
there isnt a single android device in my house, and pretty sure there arent any in daughters either
(but I’m not 100% sure about that - there could be one)

Realistically at some point Xojo should just quit with the previews as its starting to be a running joke like Duke Nuke’m Forever (which took 15 years to finally be released)

Last I heard, 2030 is when Apple is supposed to have Copland ready to ship. Perfect timing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had voted for it a long, LONG time ago, but then moved on to making an iOS version of my app (using ObjC) and gave up on anything android. Unfortunately, I also forgot about the top cases being a way to vote for what you want, so I was still effectively voting for it well after I’d given up on it. Had I been paying more attention, I would have made all my requests about improving the cross platform desktop portions.

1 Like