XDC “Pausing”

hahahahaha …

not sure why you think that ?
FWIW they burn quite nicely when soaked in gasoline or diesel :stuck_out_tongue:
Just saying …

EDIT : I can double check but I think my wardrobe is “Xojo free”
My version of “conflict metals free”

Mine definetely is. But for a stupid saying I sacrifice almost everything. :slight_smile:

Sounds interesting and I probably would come.

And, if I recall, they had skipped a year due to the Great Recession. And wasn’t that when ‘Xojo’ was introduced to the world?

maybe a Bavarian developer meeting… not just Xojo

Didnt they skip 2007, 8, 9, 10 ?
When ARBP did them in Colorado and Atlanta in 2009, 2010

2012 was in Orlando
2013 was the new Xojo name & look

as I’m sitting here working away on some C# code :stuck_out_tongue:

Your memory is better than mine apparently.

They might have had one in 2007
Pretty sure they skipped a couple after the 2008 crisis

When ARBP did them in Colorado and Atlanta in 2009, 2010

Oh this cant be right - my bad
The one in Atlanta I had to drop being on the ARBP board as I had just been hired
So ARBP had to be before that - maybe 2008 / 2009 ? or 7 and 8

I dont have complete notes from way back then

All I can say is printing that unnecessary “We’re not gonna do it next year” post Just made my job selling Xojo into enterprise that much harder.

Yes, I didn’t see the point of it—except for the solicitation of “here’s your last chance” registrations for London. This seemed rather desperate in itself.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: UI’s in Go

… and a stab vest.

100%. I was serious when I said that Xojo sounded quite honest in that statement.

Because it wasn’t paraphrased by clever marketing babble, which almost every company would actually do: either say nothing at all, or do some “green-washing”, or simply some positive message like “We have listened to you, 2024 we’ll just try online and then we’ll see”

This is how it sounded to me on first read:

• It’s Dana’s event, in a way as if GP would not attend, which I don’t believe is true though :slight_smile: but it sounded that way. Strange.
  • Please, please register NOW, it’s no fun this way.
  • So much work for nothing, and it has not paid off for us in the past, this time we’ll lose money.
  • It’s not our fault, but the high costs and because people are poor now because of the pandemic, inflation … it is of course not our fault.
  • We are writing about 2024, but the underlying prob is => we need you registration for 2023, now! Please!!
  • Last chance for you to see us in person for the foreseeable future.

Quite weird, and especially leading to this in a pro environment:

As long as I’ve been using Xojo, it’s always been clear to me, oh, you can’t sell that product well in an enterprise environment. And I used the product flying under the radar.

The communication of the Inc. has rarely been supportive to sell the product to companies. Unfortunately.

One example: which customer could you sell now that you start with Xojo iOS and then immediately you will tackle Android (soon!!). It doesn’t matter whether the head of IT or the purchasing department does a little research, there will be critical questions as to whether you’re still sane. It’s not necessarily fair, of course, but it’s how this business works. This also includes the quality of the documentation, the stability of the roadmaps, quality management, the size of the company, etc. Whoever will do some due diligence in an ISO based environment will likely show you a red card.

And a word to the readers, who often complain that the former pros are only whining:

It takes a lot to turn your opinion publicly:

• For one thing, you admit that you’ve backed the wrong horse for years.
  • There’s no going back once you’ve smashed the bridge.
  • Under these circumstances, what you are now proposing as an alternative will be questioned even more critically.
  • In the worst case, it is even questioned why you brought your customers into the current situation.

In short, the Inc. is now facing more headwinds, but there are simply no winners on either side.

What remains is a good community, hard working and committed people in the Inc, but the common denominator that two decades ago we had a great dream together but the dream is still only a dream.

3 Likes

Well, Dana is the person, who organizes the conference and does marketing.
She doesn’t do coding, can’t fix your beloved bugs and has to sell what’s available.

Geoff on the other side is the head of the company and he’ll attend the conference and talks about what he plans to put resources in for the next years. If you like to talk to him and influence the direction of the company, you’d be better at the conference and use the chance for a private appointment there.

I organized events before and I hated people wanting to skip a conference. We always had doubts whether we do it again and I told people. It turned out the conferences go attendance and we decided to do it again. I personally expect Xojo Inc. to do something in the USA next year. But that decision depends on how well the London event runs and what feedback they get.

The cost of the event is higher in the USA usually. I’ve seen some quotes and I saw how good the conditions were here in Germany. If you compare a 2 day Berlin conference ticket to a 3 day XDC ticket, please add 50% to MBS price and add a premium for getting the whole staff there (and not just one or two).

I don’t quite understand that. One thing you certainly can’t accuse Geoff of is not being open to communication. He very much is. You don’t need a conference to have a personal exchange with him. With the number of burning issues, I think daily conferences would be necessary otherwise.

Everyone here should know all the players on the Xojo pitch. I was just pointing out what my perception was after the first read through. And I tried to formulate this perception as benevolent as possible.

However, in my opinion, it has once again been a shot in the knee for Xojo and a slap in the face for the users who have to deal with customers who don’t know the players at Xojo, but also read such “press releases”. And exactly those, very likely have the same perception as me and obviously others here.

Feedback is a gift, what you do with it is another story, that’s why nature gave us two ears but only one mouth.

2 Likes

I doubt that being at the conference can change anything on the direction of the company. That is a believing of dreamland. Maybe MVP can do. But I also doubt that they can change anything. Xojo is doing its own thing in its own ways. It is not the direction I want and can go. But they will not change it because I am (or other people like Dave or Hal or even Norman) would be in a conference. I even doubt that they want one of us to be there. From some reasons I know that nobody os us is welcome or even getting the bespoken and promised Tester Releases. So in my eyes there would be no change and no chance for a change in it. And I doubt that other people would have even more influence on Xojo. Maybe it is a nice time. But having a nice time I can get for less money.

The other way around it would be so that we get informations about upcoming technologies. Like Android or like it was with IOS, Web2 and so on. If I look backwards what was told before there was even not that big influence of the things promised on conferences. Like the possibility of converting Web 2 projects to Web 2.0. Far away from that even now. It is not possible. Not without massive editing of the Project.

So I guess I have the right to say: I doubt that the conference will bring out anything else than Ideas of the Inc but not a straight line of things will come like bespoken on conference soon. That I guess is not happening.

1 Like

If there was a cage with the four of you at the conference so everyone could see what happens to “banned people”, hmmm … I think I have to look for my passport and book right now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you go I would also.

1 Like

I’ll feed you all. Word of honor!

1 Like