Wwdc 2020 _

that certainly a way its used to build up fast deployable services

Wheres @pjzedalis when you need him ?

With my spare machine, I have 3 partitions. 1 or data and 2 version partitions, so I can boot between the different OSes and still have all my data.

My 2012 rMBP has started randomly dying (just goes dead) so it looks like Iā€™ll end up buying back a 16" MBP :frowning: Although Iā€™ll just get the bottom of the range machine this time.

I intend to apply the same methodology to this machine, split the drive into 3, two different OSes and one data.

Hmmm. Kind of nope. Docker is a ā€œcontainerizerā€, you ship your app to it and your app gets an isolated userspace, kind of a sandbox. Itā€™s much lighter than VMs. When you launch a VM you are launching an entire system, an OS (guest OS), AND your App that goes on top of this huge thing with a hypervisor enabling it to run at same time as your host OS. Your app will have access to the kernel space (a virtual one, but the kernel). In Docker you create a ā€œbubbleā€, a ā€œcontainerā€ (or containers, many of them, if you want) directly on top of your host OS, thereā€™s no guest OS. One OS runs multiple containers sharing it through docker. Between your OS and your App there is Docker tricking your app to think that it is talking to the OS, but it is in an isolated space, your app does not have access to the kernel space. So it canā€™t erase your C: and destroy your underlying windows (or / in a Unix and destroy it). Well, if you need to crash the OS, maybe ( :joy: ), security profiles define the isolation. But isolated, you can mess your container, and crash your app, but your other apps in other containers will still run without noticing it. When you deploy a windows app container, it needs a windows docker host machine, when you deploy a linux app container, it needs a linux docker host machine. When we deploy VMs, we usually are talking about gigabytes large files, when we deploy containers, maybe few megabytes.

Thanks, @Rick.A.
Iā€™m afraid, though, Iā€™m still not grokking the docker thing. Or maybe I am, if youā€™re saying that running Docker will only allow a ā€œbubbleā€ of the host OS?
I cannot run a bunch of different OSā€™s in their own ā€œbubbleā€?

In docker? No. As I said, thereā€™s no guest OS, only a host OS. Thatā€™s why containers are thin and VMs are fat.
That ā€œbubbleā€ contains only your application and itā€™s resources.

This video explained it clearly for me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTqprHv1YE

this could be a real pain in the butt

It might also cost Apple a chunk of customers, Iā€™ve seen some x-plat developers already state that theyā€™re considering abandoning the Mac, because of weak demand for macOS support, but Appleā€™s change will mean they have to buy Apple and Brand-X machines to do their work.

IMHO, unless Appleā€™s ARM Macs are inline or better than the competition when they ship, itā€™s all just marketing covering up for cost cutting.

Thanks, @anon13991838.

Ok, just so Iā€™m clear, it does not allow me to run multiple OSs, right?

Yeh theyā€™re just opening themselves up for silly click bait links calling it ā€œbig suckā€ and so onā€¦ strange choice of nameā€¦

1 Like

:smiley: Again, no. To run OSs, you need virtual machines.

humorous terms Iā€™ve heard recently
ā€œcrack marketing teamā€
ā€œappropriately staffedā€
ā€œin the near futureā€

1 Like

And I assume the word ā€œXojoā€ wasnā€™t associated with any of those termsā€¦ right?

or was that what made it ā€œhumorousā€?

2 Likes

They market crack??? Isnā€™t that illegal?

that is funny

however, this being canada and cannabis is legal everywhere already how far behind can crack & others be ?

1 Like

Do they represent the Plumbers Union?

1 Like

I didnt think this was the Dad Joke thread ?

1 Like

No, theirā€™s the ā€œcracks marketing teamā€

[judean peopleā€™s front etc :roll_eyes:]

1 Like

:man_facepalming: