Wwdc 2020 _

The lineup.

WWDC20 brings together millions of Apple developers around the world. Join us for a fully packed program to gain early access to the future of Apple platforms and engage with Apple engineers.

Special Event Keynote and Platforms State of the Union

The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off with exciting reveals, inspiration, and new opportunities to continue creating the most innovative apps in the world. Join the worldwide developer community for an in-depth look at the future of Apple platforms, directly from Apple Park.

• Special Event Keynote
    June 22, 10 a.m. PDT

• Platforms State of the Union
    June 22, 2 p.m. PDT

100+ Engineering Sessions

Learn how to build the next generation of apps with technical and design-focused videos by Apple engineers. Video collections will be posted each day. Watch on the Web or in the Apple Developer app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

June 23-26

All-New Developer Forums

Connect with over 1,000 Apple engineers on the all-new Apple Developer Forums. Anyone can search and view the forums or sign in with an Apple ID to ask questions about a variety of development topics. Starting the first day of the conference, eligible members can also connect with Apple engineers over WWDC20 content on the forums.

1-on-1 Developer Labs (by appointment)

Request an appointment with an Apple engineer for one-on-one technical guidance on Apple technologies. Get in-depth details on how to implement new features, directly from the engineers who helped build the latest advances in Apple platforms. Eligible members can simply sign in, choose a lab from the schedule, enter your question, and submit. Availability is limited. Requests will be reviewed and you’ll receive an email with your status.

June 23–26

Apple Dev App: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-developer/id640199958

2 Likes

The new XCode will create a fat binary, enabling running on Apple’s new CPUs, or Intel’s, just recompiling them.

Your legacy software will run under Rosetta 2 while a native one is not available.

A virtualization support system will allow run even others OS’s, like Linux , side by side.

MacOS Big Sur will run iOS and IpadOS apps also. The full software “convergence” has come.

Guess I missed that one… unless you mean Catalyst

Towards the end they said that iPad and iOS apps would be able to run unaltered on new ARM based macs (since they now run the same CPU)
Which is what makes Catalyst make sense

I wonder if we’ll see a multi chip base machine
Power per watt is great but it has to also turn into “stinking stupid powerful regardless of watts” for certain apps and use cases

I thought I’d seen that the A14 was like 16 cores? kinda puts a Core 2 Duo to shame

Well, the chips have been multicore for a decade, and with better thermals they can run much faster too.

Sure - but 2 x 84 core Xeons is a different beast than a single 84 core Xeon
or a couple ThreadRippers with 128+ cores

Dunno what Apple will put in their machines eventually but they’d have to at least match their current MacPro at some level (which currently top out at 28 cores)

wow, thats how to do a presentation and announce stuff, and a delivery date, here we go…

not keen on the Big Sur name though, I am glad it was not released on April first or I would have been waiting for Rick to show up!

There are some neat new features, but none of my computers will run Big Sur (my newest is late 2013). And my phone won’t run iOS 14. :frowning: DARN YOU FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS! DARN YOU APPLE FOR MAKING HARDWARE THAT LASTS (or at least making it back then).

1 Like

I literally JUST updated to a 16" MBP in the last month
They dropped my 2012 rMBP from the supported list
Besides it being dirty inside its still runs everything just fine - until today :slight_smile:

same first world problems, nothing I have here will officially run osx11 or ios14.
oh well. I am not dumping my beloved 2012 BTO 27 iMac or my (really light and very long battery life) iPhone 6.
I will enjoy you guys having all the fun while I am learning a new language or two.

They dropped my 27" i7 late 2013 iMac that has an SSD and a upgraded graphics card as well … It works with everything just fine… I wonder why that is not supported!

I have already passed it to another family member but I was hoping it would stay supported by the shipping OS version for for a couple more years because I want to keep using my current machine (27" i9 iMac bought refurb from Apple) for another 4 years…

But then again with the ARM conversion this machine might get unsupported sooner than I would like too!

-karen

ouch … I had missed that
does seem odd since desktops usually have higher spec GPU’s etc than laptops

Thats my worry with the new MBP I just bought as well
Up to a point emulation will be fine but how long will that last I wonder ?
You know folks are going to be asking, day 1 of the new machines being available, is your software compatible and “is it native?”
That happened every time with 68K to PPC and PPC to Intel and its going to happen again

Someone on that other forum even mentioned they got asked about 10 minutes AFTER the keynote ended if his software was native for the new machines :stuck_out_tongue:
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/493484