Wwdc 2020 _

I may have to get an ios14 device though, my Spanish is ok, well not bad, mmm, we’ll shite really, I can avoid being shot and buy beer etc, I really want to use the translate stuff at least to give the locals a few laughs.
living in a country where the language is not your own is always a daily eye opener, like an american coming to England, full of joys.

but seriously… if the translate stuff works even slightly well, in both Siri and Safari, it will make a very big difference to my daily interactions, I do not know sign language in English, but I use it in Spanish every day! eeeekkkkkk

dos cervezas por favor
donde esta el baño

usually in that order :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Está pagando.

:laughing:

What does “not supported” mean?

Which is what I suspected would be coming… No need to make Mac apps anymore, just make iPad apps, especially as the new OS now looks like an iPad without touch screen (even the oversized controls for a touch screen).

macOS Big Sur will not, by default, install on such a machine

iPadOS also is prepared to receive non-touch input interfaces like mouses and keyboards. So anyone could fine tune the non touch UX.

Apple could take a page from MS on backwards-compatibility.
However, like how Catalina is running on my 2009 MBP, they’ll be work arounds…

Apple makes money selling new devices. Forcing you to upgrade to get “new shining things” is part of their business.

1 Like

Oh I have no doubt folks will find work arounds and hacks

I just avoid them

Which is why my old 2012 MBP ran & could boot everything from 10.9 (or 10.10 I forget) to Catalina. Apples been pretty decent about keeping devices on their supported lists.

1 Like

I find it VERY useful to have basically a throwaway machine running Catalina so I can keep my work machine on Mojave. Easier and more compatible than a hackintosh.

1 Like

They could both learn from each other
Apple deprecates things seemingly because “OMG we wrote that code last week !”
MS almost NEVER gets rids of anything which makes it hard to move Windows forward. And why they now have at least 3 UI kits because “OMG we cant force devs to do anything it might break our Windows 16 bit code !”

Somewhere in between for both would be nice for us but …

1 Like

If someone had been thinking “way back when” they would have designed OSs to run independently, so you could run any program in it’s own (OS) environment. I think OSs are too tied to exclusivity of access to hardware ATM so it would have had to have been “by design” and nobody was thinking that far forward when they started Windows or MacOS…

I just had bootable drives where I could boot into whatever version I needed
I had everything from 10.10 up to 10.15 and could boot any one of them on my machine
My Windows machine has a remove C: drive and I can do that there as well (not quite as easily as my mac but close enough)

Isnt that the premise of Docker (more or less?)

I dunno? I asked about Docker before but didn’t get any replies… From what I can tell, docker is just for servers running Linux? Is there a docker for desktop?

I dont think there is for desktop
It IS used quite a bit for servers since it allows you to spin up these little machines pretty quick

I could be wrong but I dont think thats quite what was being asked
@Meestor_X would have to comment though

I don’t know shit about Docker, but what it LOOKs like to me is that it’s for building Linux VMs, not Windows or MacOS VMs?