Where is Xojo Focus?

WHO is Dallas?
WHERE is Dallas?
I do you one better: WHY is Dallas?

:wink:

thank you Markus for the smiles.

it makes me happy after having a horrible time answering another message on the forum.

just for everyones reference, here is Norman in his youthful pomp!

Then I take it you got the reference to GotG … :+1: :wink:

… or should that be A IW ? :thinking:

Yup, GotG in A IW! :nerd_face:

Erm… that does sound pretty dire :-/

ah but who shot JR ?

Having said all that re Livecode I have just purchased a licence! They are offering a ‘pay what you want’ deal for the Indy level licence - pay from $0 (don’t do that!) to full price. I paid a fair amount and purchased the PDF documentation set too - more than worth it to have a play around with. If you are interested the link is here LiveCode - Pay what you want.

1 Like

Just beware about the “you are subscribing the product, after the 1st year you will be billed full price”.

Yes but simple to cancel.

I had a license in the past. It was a imperative language hard to grasp nowadays in a object oriented world. Their data grid was worse than Xojo’s. We needed extensions for useful things (their Xojo plugins). People could read my source code in the binary without much effort. Never made anything really usable from it and paid what was called something like “one time eternal license” giving you rights to all updates. But in the next major release I need another “one time eternal license”. Maybe I buy few coffees to them, download it, and put in a corner here to play with it someday in the next 6 months. :smiley:

Exactly - its a little strange to use although if you used Hypercard back in the day then it should feel somewhat familiar with stacks & cards. The IDE is not as good as the Xojo IDE in my opinion.

Worth a few quid just to have a play around with - I paid for the documents PDF which is an 800+ page PDF with hundreds of examples.

That time I bought their “Livecode university”. Now I think that any language MUST include all manuals, docs, and etc. For a PDF I would pay $5, but I think they should provide all docs for free if they wish their language gets some traction.

I don’t have much experience with Livecode but I recall reading some of the docs and it felt like taking a lesson from Yoda

1 Like

Where we’ve ended up with r3.1 is just fine. What would yoiu do differently? Remembering that we are not going backwards, just moving forwards.

I’m sure several would say “kill api 2”.
But that ship has already sailed so I’m not sure debating what we’d have done different matters.

What matters now is how things move forward.
And what do we do to influence things ? Or can we ?

Short term or long term?

It’s not fine though. The Xojo IDE code editor now runs so slow on my Mac it is unusable. 2019r1.1 was slow enough but whatever they did in 2019r2 pushed it over the edge.

The v2 API is a distraction that Xojo didn’t need at this time. It brings no real benefits, it managed to piss off a significant number of users and it spreads resources more thinly.

This is what I would do:
a) Get the IDE performance back to what it was around v2016 / v2017.

b) Fix the ever increasing number of bugs in the framework. It’s quite embarrassing to discover that basic functionality in the framework no longer works (even more when it worked in RB). For example, String no longer works correctly when the OS is CJK, TextField LimitText & Mask don’t work correctly.

c) Find a way to make Xojo more modular. For example, we should be able to take IDE fixes and framework fixes separately. We shouldn’t have to upgrade everything just to get a single bug fix.

d) Fix the MS-Windows framework graphics issues. 3 years after the move to Direct2D there are still issues with stability.

e) Improve the company project management & scheduling skills. For some reason, Xojo Inc. keep mixing important fixes and high risk unproven features in the same release.
Examples:
• Direct2D was added before Windows 64 bit was finished. It took 2 years to make Direct2D useable which made all of the releases in that period useless for MS-Windows development.
• The macOS file system API improvements were added into the same release as API v2.

I could go on but it’s starting to piss me off.

I think the overall fact that someone even asked “what is their focus” is illustrative of the issue. Supporting so many targets means they are the jack of all trades master of none.
That has implications and from many of the comments I’ve read it seems there are a number of people who wish Xojo WAS the master of at least one area - desktop, web, mobile, Pi, etc. Pick one, do it exceptionally well and then have the staff & skills to prepetiate that. Move on to another and do the same.

The ever shifting priorities on the roadmap would certainly suggest that item E is an issue.
Whether the result are side effects of that or not I dont know.

Maybe doing a good work and mastering the desktop could bring them much more customers and the resources to go for another platform with an independent team. :shushing_face:

:man_shrugging:

Clothears suggests suggests 19r3.1 is fine, and it is to some extent, despite it being a mishmash of API1 and 2, but its got a shit load of bugs that I don’t know how many people would like fixing.
its got the very last version of released WEB, which will NEVER ever get a single update or bug fixed.
iOS in it is utterly unusable for anything but the most simple application without depending on the (extraordinary) third party community, all of whom are royally fecked up the arse by API2 stuff(as far as I know, I am pleased to be completely wrong about this. please inform me).
Raspberry appears to be left now to go to seed as the GPIO library is no longer maintained (as far as I know, I am pleased to be completely wrong about this. please inform me).

I am sticking with 19r1, I do not want to go anywhere near a new API that is randomly integrated and full of unknown bugs, API1 is also full of bugs, but Xojo know all about them but just have not fixed them, making a new API seems a good way to step over all those issues.

Unless we as users are willing to go fully embracing the new paradigm and jump completely into the API2 experience, get onboard like little lambs to whatever Xojo releases as 20r1(and its nearly July, YES ITS NEARLY JULY AND THERE IS NO R1, with nothing whatsoever that resembles anything like a release) then the WHOLE Xojo professional user base are only able to use, for all their production code, is an outdated and DEPRECIATED product that was released as 19r1, again all this is my own opinion, anyone like to provide a reasonable argument for this assessment being a pile of rambling nonsense, then I would be most pleased to eat my words and jump on that path.

I am really pleased that I do not have to explain to a whole load of nervous customers that the product that creates their super critical applications, that run their business, control their inventory, support their patients, provides an income for a whole heap of programmers is depreciated and has absolutely nothing reliable to replace it.

not that I am being negative, its just that these seem to be the facts as I look at the Xojo position right now.
Thank goodness what I write here has absolutely no interest or influence over Xojo towers, they might get a bit nervous and take a step back to consider what path they are taking, oopppss, no I am still stuck in the bobby shower moment…

If any one vehemently disagrees with my views, like Rod Pascoe(I think that was his name) did, who sadly seemed to remove his account from this forum, just post the view you have, my view is absolutely no more important or valid than any one else’s and I am not ever going to be upset by someones considered opinion.

oh, if any one had not noticed, ITS NEARLY JULY AND THERE IS NO 20R1, just saying.