WHAT are people moving to or are considering moving to?

I have a 2011 17-inch model, with 16GB ram and 2TB ssd, and anti-glare display.
will never change that for any actual model …
ps: I also have the defective GPU on this model, but soldered a board to disable the second GPU and it works fine. only drawback is no external display.

Anyone have experience with U++ ?

For Object Pascal aficionados : https://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/projects/codetyphon-studio.html

As for me Xojo is on the wrong way I’m determined to give at least a try. The time I used MacPascal and Think Pascal is not so far :wink:

I’m not giving up Xojo, I’ll just decrease it to a 3rd place in my utility belt.

After some consideration I’ve decided to stay with Xojo for the time being.

I am a hobbyist programmer and the code I write is now only for use in my own household. (I finished my last contract and really don’t intend on taking another one.) I am on Windows and don’t do web, multi-user, or cross-platform apps. Most of my apps are data-oriented with less than 20,000 rows of data. And, to be honest, I haven’t run into 98% of the issues others have encountered.

Out of curiosity, I ported one of my apps to B4X (J actually) just to try it out and thought it was quite good; but not good enough to warrant me totally migrating. So, for me, the right tool for the job is still Xojo.

All that said, I expect to stay with my current license and not renew unless/until Xojo delivers something that I just have to have.

Pretty cool (and smart) of you to give it at least a try without just dismissing it because of this or that. And now you really know. Maybe for a next project, that does e.g. involve also Android or iOS, you remember it and may give it another go. I like that mentality: using the right tool for the right job!

Yeah Windows you’re probably safe for a very long time unlike the macOS crowd

1 Like

Maybe it sounds like a silly remark, but Dart is almost like a C version of the Xojo language.

It’s not silly at all, it’s actually very insightful. The only thing about Dart that’s C-like is the curly brackets and semicolons. Other than that, the language itself should seem quite familiar to Xojo folks.

I love Dart. It’s a very capable language, easy to grok, and I definitely prefer it to alternatives like Java and Swift.

2 Likes

I didnt move from Xojo directly to Dart/Flutter… I tried a few other languages in there. like C#. I hated C# years ago (many many years ago) and I still dont like it. I hesitated away from Dart/Flutter at first as I was reading reviews of how Dart was a failed languages that google was “about to abandon”. they were wrong. Once Flutter started taking off, Google is really behind both Dart and Flutter.

but the dart language is fairly easy to be read by a xojo programmer. the way you think about how to write code is different so that takes a little time. not hard, just a little different…

1 Like

This is an interesting article about eBay’s experience with Flutter (it’s about mobile apps, but most of the benefits and lessons discussed should apply equally to desktop apps):

1 Like

flutter has a couple big wins/big names using the language. Hamilton (the play), Alibia (sp? the Chinese version of amazon), Google is now porting several of their apps over to flutter. between several big companies on board and google getting positive traction with companies, i dont think it is going away any time soon. plus Dart his the top-20 on the tiobie index.

So funny that you should say this. I had to look at my order history, and I purchased a Dart book back in 2014. I remember after some time it looked like it was going to be yet another abandoned product, so I put it on the pay no mind list. I haven’t followed what has been going on in Dart for years. It sounds like it is doing well - which is good since it seemed like a nice language.

As for me, on the server side for web / api development, I think I will be sticking with Python for now.

For desktop / mobile - I’m not sure what to do yet. I was a Microsoft developer for years and years - and don’t see myself going back. I got my MCSD in C# .NET, as an ‘Early Adopter’, the first year it was released and remember when Microsoft was trying to make life hard for the Mono project. Boy how times have changed. When they had their Microsoft Virtual Academy going, it seemed like the developer courses never even mentioned Windows, and everything was all about deploying to Linux. Xamarin could be interesting, but I’m not sure I could ever go back to C# after Python…

I was hoping Xojo was going to be a magic bullet - but it just appears to be on the downswing, so I am not eager to jump into the pool completely now.

Maybe Dart/Flutter is a really good option if there is a lot of energy behind it…

To be honest, as a Java programmer myself, I find it very close to its syntax. They did a good job incorporating enough from other languages so everyone can find something in it that is familiar. :+1:

1 Like

Has anyone tried the product from Creo. Marco Bambini, of Sqllabs Cube software is behind it.

I believe they intentionally designed Dart to be similar to Java, and it is, but Java is—or was—way more cumbersome than Dart. (I say “or was” because I think Java has become more streamlined and user-friendly in the past few years; at least that’s what I gather, without actually having used it recently.)

Dart syntax is not at all like Basic, that’s for sure, but I find it easy to translate concepts and code from Xojo to Dart, and easy to “think in Dart” in general.

Not recently

Xojo 2021r2

Full of 1500+ major bug fixes, enhanced target performance, major IDE overhaul and ZERO new features.

Its great stuff, they really pulled it out of the fire on this one, my checks in the mail and I will frame the receipt on my wall.

1 Like

when it was a 1.0 product. not even 1.0.1… And I wasnt doing mobile at the time (or had desires to) so I didnt go very far with it.

–sb