WHAT are people moving to or are considering moving to?

2021: a mix of tools including Xojo
2022: Mostly C# .Net 6+, bits of Flutter/Dart, Xojo for legacy
Android, maybe iOS, macOS, Windows (All C# MAUI).
2023: Mostly C# .Net 7+, bits of Flutter/Dart, Xojo for legacy
Android, macOS, Windows (All C# MAUI). Linux (also C# MAUI), Web ( C# Blazor). I hope not using iOS.

Java as a back end is darned stable and really can be scaled

This is exactly what I’ve meant when saying: Apple once was commited to Openess and Open Source. They locked everything up, built the wall up high around their garden full of pre-selected, pre-produced Music, Games, VIdeos and App Store Business. I guess the next thing they will cripple down (the app already is) are podcasts.

1 Like

Nothing decided, as I have tons of Xojo code to maintain xplatform and I see no current fully valid competitor.
I just noticed anyway that Fire has now Beta Mercury (= VB) demo support.
Without internal GUI editor that would be still hard to manage. But you can test console apps currently, even build libraries. lldb is included for debugging, and I am certain they will fix the ugly color scheme too.

…and it comes with a lot of macOS API calls predefined and with a high-speed AutoComplete (which does not want to get screenshot easily) :grinning:

Let me guess, with the new technology BYOGUI (Bring Your Own Graphical User Interface).

Yes. And that’s why I think it’s currently not discussable.

@dwarfland commented on a couple threads about Elements

I didnt get the sense that a UI designer integrated to their IDE’s was on the roadmap ?

for mobile I have switched to Flutter/Dart. same code compiles to both Android and iOS. The dev cycle is very quick. write some code, hit save, see the changes “live” on device (or emulator).

for cli I am still doing perl and such. playing around with dart on the cli.

for desktops I am not doing much right now. but flutter/dart is coming to the desktops (mac/linux/windows). it is “beta” for mac/linux and barely “alpha” for windows.

I know that I am sounding like a flutter/dart fan-boi but I am not. I see lots of potential there. and I see lots of progress on a regular basis. you can see the “todo list”, bugs, and everything as it is posted to the pubic on github. the site to find/get plugins/addons is actively monitored by Google. And when some “bad players” started posting bad/malicious stuff there, they were all taken down and the up-loaders blocked within hours.

if I had to develop for desktop today I would have to go with C#/Swift and build two code bases.
–sb

1 Like

Scott Boss isn’t using Xojo anymore? Damn, I have been gone a long time…

1 Like

I had a “discussion” with Geoff about my concerns right after the XDC Miami conference. he was adamant that I was not correct in regards to my concerns and stated a few things that he felt were correct but I knew were wrong. And I knew I could not get what I needed from Xojo (the company). So I looked elsewhere and found that there were other solutions that work better for myself, my company, and my customers.

I will not persuade others to leave Xojo (the company or product). But I will not be a champion or cheerleader for them either. If it works for you, great! if it doesnt then there are other tools out there.

The biggest challenge for me on leaving the Xojo “world” was the people. People like the ones on this forum.

thanks and welcome back!
–sb

4 Likes

Scott… be assured you are always welcome here… And without the fear of censure. Feel free to talk about the tools your found, how they work for you, etc… Unlike “that other forum” … discussion about most any topic is fair game here.

3 Likes

A Moving to Dart & Flutter from Xojo topic would be a worthwhile endeavour here to help educate those who might be curious

not so much as an inducement but for those considering it

4 Likes

It’s a bit like with computers. While I love my Mac, I still like to know what happens in the PC World, what NVIDIA is bringing out, about Ryzen CPUs etc

2 Likes

I would enjoy writing something up. not today… but as soon as I can within reason.

I have moved to Xcode and Swift / SwiftUI for iOS apps. I made a judgement call maybe two years ago after trying to write a simple app in Xojo for iOS - one I’d already written in Xojo for macOS, but was writing it over from scratch. Trying that was hell in Xojo and it seemed a reasonable bet that Xojo’s iOS would take years to become usable (if ever!).

So I started looking at Swift and realized it was not nearly as hard as I’d imagined it. Looking back that was a very good call as I now have an App that is earning me (small) money on a regular basis. And I’m excited to go farther, eventually I’ll probably write a desktop app in the Apple ecosystem.

For personal programs, I’m still open to using Xojo, but on a limited basis. For example, I may write a small program to help me convert an SQLite db to structs for use in an Xcode project. Ironically (?), Xojo would see me as a citizen developer using Xojo to make my job of writing programs in Xcode easier!

And I guess this might be of interest to this forum: I’m probably never going to buy any more third party add-ons. Previously, I think I got the Omega bundle three times. I also had MBS Chart director and iirc the complete plug-ins bundle, too. And a range of BKeeney solutions, some of which I never even got around to using!

But I’d only need third party apps for actual apps, not for my own simple “make this easier to do” apps. No reports, no charts…

Fwiw, currently, I only have I think Xojo 2017r3 (I’ll have to check). Probably I wouldn’t mind the API 2.0, as I don’t ever plan to port anything over from any old projects. But I’ll only update when I run into needing something that Xojo 2017 can’t do. And from the look of things, that will only happen when I upgrade my laptop (a damned mid-2010 MBP which refuses to die!) to something that won’t run it. My iOS development is on a new Mac Mini.

17in? Lovely machines. Sadly mine died not so long ago … :cry:

have to say the new 16" is pretty sweet replacement for the old 17
nearly as much screen space
much sharper display
awesome speakers OMG ! never thought I’d rave about laptop speakers but …
if I turn the volume way up I can just about hear them throughout my entire house

I got the 6 core 2.6 ghz i7 with 32 gb ram and 1 gtb ssd and am pretty darned happy with the machine (catalina is a slightly different issue)

its fast, has nice quite fans & stays nice and cool
and since these cores are as fast as the old 2102 I had xojo still works pretty reasonably and Xcode can use them all
VM’s are snappy as heck

1 Like

Yeh. I got the maxed-out version (apart from the overpriced SSD which I limited to 2TB). Apart from Catalina, which makes me have to click permission dialogs every freaking time I debug from Xojo, and the silly port and dongle situation, the most irritating thing is that doing anything with Xojo makes the fans run up to the max. I resolved that by paying for Turbo Boost Switcher Pro which is configured to turn off turbo boost while Xojo is running. No discernible difference in speed, and the fans remain silent.

yeah I opted for the 2.6 6 core instead of 2.3 8 core mostly to make sure that Xojo experience was still comparable - since it only uses one CPU most times

not unhappy about that choice at all
OK maybe when Xcode fires up every core on a big compile but …

a 13in actually. Put in the 16GB memory upgrade, switched out the old drive for an SSD and twice replaced the battery. Little guy is 10 years old now and keeps going.