The return of new Event names

Umm, guys?! A doorway to Hell just opened … was this supposed to happen? … :thinking: … Is Constantine around? :smiling_imp:

You forgot to change the class from car to the new class name “RiduculousButModernAutomobileClass

1 Like

No, Dim → Var is for the same reason as RB/RS → Xojo. For some reason Geoff is ashamed of the BASIC language and is trying to distance his product from it. But ironically (common theme in this thread) BASIC was created exactly for the beginner/newbie that he is trying to market to.

1 Like

Then he shall tell exactly that to the people: Basic for Beginners. Then there will not be that amount of wining about not working features.

Remember scratching files ?

… I had told Geoff the way to deal with it is to embrace the BASIC roots, and advertise it as the marriage of the simplicity of BASIC with the object-orientation of C++. After all there was (and still is) a very large pool of VB users out there.

By trying to hide its BASIC roots Xojo comes across as not being very honest, aka “if they hide this what else are they not telling?”

Bad move in my book.

So many that VB6 ranks in the top 20 on TIOBE still (well ahead of Xojo) which is in the “other 50” that have such small shares of the market they are indistinguishable from each other

From index | TIOBE - The Software Quality Company

Wow! Xojo’s in the top 100! Muahahaha.

#21 has 1.06%
#50 has 0.15%

We don’t know if Xojo is #51 or #100.

But we do know Xojo has less or equal to 0.15%.

Well, being there a few monts make it easy to asume a 95-100.

If No. 51 is 0.15% and we have a curve down to the 95ish, its more like a 0.0001% marketshare :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Even after MS abandoned VB5/6 and tried to enforce ‘.NET speak’
Interesting.

And Im sure that MANY of them could have switched to Real Basic if they had invested in features instead of the stupid rebranding/renaming. To this day I still miss VB6 and the way that it is still better than Xojo in many aspects.

Back in the mid 2000s I was one of the people urging the company to get rid of “Basic” in the name, because that language is looked down upon by serious developers who cannot imagine it as an OOP language without line numbers and GOTOs. So I thought the RealStudio move was a good one.

As far as “Xojo” is concerned, it was explained to me that this was done for search engine results. “RealStudio” would probably get more false hits than “Xojo”, which is quite unique. Makes some sense.

I still hate what they did to the IDE. RS was so much better.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:, SERIOUS developers knew the real capablites of vb6, I knew some guys working on nuclear power plant systems made on vb6. I had optimizations for different CPU architectures, It has a lot of power that many newbies didnt kno like Pointers. I made some routines that had the same speed than the native C.

NO, it was NOT the serious developers who think less from basic.

It wasn’t.

Own who and what you are. Everything else comes back to bite you.

There is no free will? Our destinies are pre-ordained?

Has nothing to do with free will, but has to do with integrity: either accept reality (aka tell the truth) or be willing to pretend / deceive (aka lie).

I know, PR and Sales have taken over the World in the last 40 years and are running the show, leaving idealism, integrity, quality, pride in your workmanship, real customer relationships, etc in the dust - so look at the state of Xojo, look at the state of the World, and tell me it is NOT due to a changing mindset: “Shareholder Value”, “Greed is good”, “Think of Number ONE”.

But sometimes, to get to a better place, you have to work together and take a back seat. Put your family’s interests first. Your customer’s. Other people.

Because only sometimes the need of the One outweighs the need of the Many.

Most of the times the need of the Many actually outweigh the need of the One.

@HalGumbert,

Point 1: it’s humbling that for all the cheering and booing about Xojo, we’re actually arguing and passionate about a single raindrop on a stormy night or a tiny flicker of light in the night sky full of lights.

Point 2: that Xojo can do all the good and all the bad and somehow survive in the developer tools game on market share of less than 1 developer in every 1,000 developers actually willing to pay for tools - is miraculous (and strangely encouraging).

Then again, we could simply ask ourselves “what’s the point”. And the point is, how much larger could that market share be if they got-it-right?

Kind regards, Andrew

I think the point is
#1 - at one time Xojo/RealStudio/RealBasic was to many of us that cool drink of water, that warm sun, and it has now been reduced to a single raindrop and tiny flicker of light… neither of which is able to sustain a majority of the developers that had used and attempt to move the product forward

#2… It isn’t about the 1000 developers, it is about the one, you. or me. I know for myself, I was an ardant supporter of Xojo from 2006 to when Api2 and the first event name debacle occurred, and the push back that Xojo made trying to convince us that is was a “good thing”… I had a glimmer of hope when they relented after a month or two of heavy feedback… but that hope (like that tiny flicker of light) was extingushed, when they reversed that decision, and proved to a large number of us that they don’t listen, they don’t care, and they are arrogant enough to think that they alone know it all.

1 Like

@DaveS, I don’t disagree with your revision of my points. Certainly a fair assessment.