The return of new Event names

Explanation attempt:

a. Geoff wants to leave his “mark” in the industry by causing change and hoping that it will be followed by the major players (the conquerors who offer development software).

b. By making the current version of Xojo (the project and the language) incompatible with previous versions, he hopes to speed up updates from older versions.
Reminder: the older your version, the more expensive the update is and this until there is no update: no discount on the price of the current version: you might as well buy a new license .

Here, Black Friday (may) be a good time to activate an avalanche of license purchases.

Let’s be clear:
the color of the selection turns green: it’s beautiful (a matter of taste), but I really don’t care that the hammer looks pretty. If it works, it does.

There is a relationship between productivity and number of changes. The first decreases drastically with (age and) the amount of changes.
If I have to consult the Language Reference for every line I write, I’ll quickly wonder what to do: learn to use this software or find another one. Learn to learn, you might as well do it for a more complete. It was this reasoning that led me to use REALbasic in May 1998 (after reading a brief from Apple News).

Of course, this is my opinion. I could be wrong.

Google Translate have been used for the whole text.

a. Geoff wants to leave his “mark” in the industry by causing change and hoping that it will be followed by the major players (the conquerors who offer development software).

GAWD can he really believe that Java, C and C++ will follow him or Python? Never ever.

b. By making the current version of Xojo (the project and the language) incompatible with previous versions, he hopes to speed up updates from older versions.
Reminder: the older your version, the more expensive the update is and this until there is no update: no discount on the price of the current version: you might as well buy a new license .

Even if he thinks so: many pro Users will leave to Java. I know many of them and many others will follow. Java and JavaFX are platforms which are running on all platforms and which are for free to use. The Tools around are also cheap. Why should somebody if he anyhow has to switch the Language really go to Xojo?

I do not know.

Recent years changes in our industry (mostly hardware):
a. Apple Silicon
Same user experience; some software updates may be needed, but runs as is. Read below.

b. USB (from A to current): with adaptators, nothing to say. I even do not know the current name (C ?)

c. All other changes: same user experiences as a and b.

Conclusion:
I do not understand.

Nota: with my Intel MacBook Pro (MBP), I ran El Capitan until this summer where I installed High Sierra in an external SSD. Its internal monitor is broken so I use an external monitor/just like if it is a desktop computer.
When I get the actual M1 MBP, it was running Big Sur and my only problem was I cannot run my Xojo applications (excepted in the IDE) and I avoid writing changes from Xojo 2021…

I was being hyperbolic (as is my wont) and the property and function name changes are actually for the sake of consistency more than modernity.

But what is being lost in the mad quest for consistency is meaning.

So we end up with AddRow for things that don’t have rows, “Value” for things that display text, and “Remove” for an operation that has been “delete” since the dawn of computing.

Supposedly this consistency will make programming easier for newbies, but I would argue that meaning is more important. When we type or say a sentence, we choose words that say what we mean, we don’t choose a word because it’s just like the other words we use. We might as well say “All words must now start with the letter T, because that will make it easier to spell everything”.

Ironically, the justification for changing event names is to make their meaning clearer.

API 3.0 will fix that! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

3 Likes

LOL. Naaaaa, He makes his mind seem MUCH more simple than that:

“What makes Java so popular??? It must be the VAR keyword, lets make Xojo great again imitating kewords from popular languajes.”

That actually makes sense, BUT, well, stupid changes that requiere a lot of time to complete but not real improvement nor a good amount of bug fixes is not worth it for those who are not in charity mode (“please support them”)

True but, it is a stupid move to pursue consistency when you culd have avoided that huge waste of time in the firt place by not changing iOS and Web2 event names :man_shrugging:t2:

And like three standards just in Xojo.

And could have avoided inconsistencies by being consistent over the years.

That cartoon on standards really has Xojo written all over it! And another one that is applicable to Xojo :grin:

2 Likes

The var keyword is not making Java popular!!! It is the language and the entire ecosystem around Java

Again you missed the sarcasm :smiley:

3 Likes

I think the Germans might be related to the Dutch are missing the sarcasm gene in some cases :stuck_out_tongue:

No I did not missed it. I ignored it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Norman. I am not Canadian like…but I try to understand sarcasm. But sometimes I have to ignore it.

New Feedback Case: Middle door Opening event does not fire.

1 Like

You sure its not Door Middle Opening ?
or Opening Middle Door ?

1 Like

UnclosingEvent readeventof:door2

Throw Wide Median Portal

1 Like