Seriously?

Java is definitely predominantly server side
But not exclusively so and it has gotten WAY better in the last bunch of years
If you havent looked at it in the last 5-10 years for cross platform desktop then you might be VERY surprised

QT isnt “gone”
Is is expensive but its definitely not gone

can you point me a xplatform app in java you use now ?

you know any QT apps ?

DBeaver
SmartSVN

I can point you: GE, Lufthansa, Toyota, General Motors, Google, Facebook, Stellantis, Panam, Airbus, Boeing, Nasa all of them have one thing together: Java Software. And not only this few. I alone have more than twenty cross platform used apps outside in medical environment, fitness-clubs and so on. Who you are that you are believing that you can point like this? Xojo has not a 100000 of apps outside looking on Java. I guess you forgot many stuffs. For example JavaFX. With FX I can with Jpro publish directly my FX App as Web App. With Jpro as Ios App. With Jpro as Android App. And anyhow when and where ever I want as Desktop app. You want to tell me that you can even do that? No. You can not with Xojo. Not only leaking Android. Also leaking one Codebase all Platforms factor. Something Xojo is not able even to think about. JavaFX can. Know you.

If you have NO Idea about that you are speaking about it could be better not to say anything. By the way: tons of Mac own Software is JAVA Software which they even service with their own virtual machine. Before speaking: look what you speak about.

1 Like

java ? no mac version

we all know java is most used language around, i just thought it was server side, since i have ZERO java app on my comp. just put one DBeaver, thanks norm for the link

but now we have many electron apps

I did tech support for a bank a couple of years ago where their teller software was a desktop app written in Java. This was a big bank with hundreds of branches all over the country.

Java has its place just like Xojo has its place. I am just a hobbyist developer right now and have decided to do my stuff in Java for now. Its been frustrating at times because there are things that are easier to do in Xojo (at least to me) than in Java but I’m still learning. But, I have 10+ years of programming in Xojo compared to just a couple of months of tinkering with Java.

Are you drunken? No Mac Version? Wow. We are contract partner of Azul, with their OpenJDK you have all Java brands actual from 8 to 17 for MacOS X86 and MacOS ARM. I can not get how you can believe that there is no Mac Version. Most Software we release for Mac we deliver anyhow as ahead of time compiled Version. IOS is always ahead of time compiled. So what? I don’t get what you want to tell me with that.

so what is your first feeling coming from xojo to java ? interesting to share

Many Software packages which are compiled for Mac, Windows or Linux are java Software. Without the need of installing JRE or JDK.

I think he is talking about Dr. Explain, not Java Apps in general as obviously Java written apps run on about everything.

dude chill, i was replying for Dr Explain ? well this forum is buggy too, it doesn’t make sense how the feed is sorted or i missed something

yes i’ll keep DBeaver, thanks for the info; it even does tunnel sshing, i’ll keep it

java for mac exists
I use it :slight_smile:

if you click the"reply" label to the bottom right of a post then its more obvious that the reply is to THAT post
otherwise posts are just chronological

A lot of frustration at times. :slight_smile:

The Java language itself is pretty easy to pick up, especially if you have used C/C++ before. The problem is the large number of libraries to sift through. There is a lot there, which is a good thing, but it does require some learning. Plus, the Java IDEs are real memory hogs. But then, the Xojo IDE can be a resource hog too, especially if you load all the MBS plugins.

One thing I really like is that if I have question/problem, I can google it and usually find an answer within seconds. The amount of Java resources out there is huge.

Also, a lot more 3rd party libraries and components to choose from. One of my favorites is Jexer, which is. text mode user interface library (think Turbo Vision, if you are old enough). Not real practical, but it is neat and I’ve been playing with it. I’m a hobbyist so I do a lot of tinkering. :slight_smile:

1 Like