Say yes to Xojo

the MVP program is newer; however, the people they selected have been around for a very long time. The question becomes did their responses to thing changed after they became MVP or did they stay the same. If I am not mistaken, Gavin used to have a Xojo news update site that did cover some of the drama.

If Brad was still around, I think he would have been an interesting MVP

1 Like

I would appreciate if you could make your presentation available as @npalardy has suggested.

I spent the last few days trying to understand Xojoā€™s IOS developement. I canā€™t say I made much progress.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

1 Like

Brad H? Well THAT would certainly have been interesting! :wink:

-Karen

1 Like

I think he would have banned people left and right until only he and a few chosen acolytes were left ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have spent the last couple of days woking on some JavaScript code and just got back to the Xojo project Iā€™m working on. I have to say: I LOVE WORKING WITH XOJO.

Yeahā€¦ the IDE is doing itā€™s best to annoy me right now but I still find the expeirience of working with Xojo something I look forward to :slight_smile:

There are things that annoy me about Xojo (the IDE and the company), but it really is nice to use (except the dang tabs in the IDE, WTF). I recently got back into it after about a year off, and Iā€™d forgotten how easy the language is.

On Sunday when my 8th grader said he wanted to do coding for his ā€œgenius hourā€ project, I introduced him to Xojo. Two days later and he has an app using comboboxes, buttons, and textareas that, given two sets of parentsā€™ genes, gives probabilities of the kidā€™s albinoism, color blindness, and blood type (hair and eye color are coming). Heā€™s seen a little bit of python before through minecraft, so is familiar with some concepts like if statements, but this is really his first program and he is really enjoying it. That says something to me.

2 Likes

I think youā€™ve nailed it. Xojo is easy to use and fairly RAD (except for database stuff). Xojo is a great piece of software that is held back on purpose. There are so many little frustrations that build up over time that I get why people get mad and leave.

Iā€™ve looked at alternatives over the years and found nothing that meets my requirements quite like Xojo does. Sure, some of them do bits and pieces better but as an overall package they do not. Which makes it even more frustrating since they are better in many ways than their competitors. So why donā€™t more people know about Xojo? Who are they marketing to and how?

3 Likes

No.

This. I love Xojo, its readability and lack of impenetrable cryptic syntax. My love of it sometimes makes me more passionate in my criticisms of its shortcomings, but on the whole I donā€™t know what Iā€™d do without it. I like what I hear about the roadmap and look forward to the day when they can give some more love to the IDE.

from https://www.zdnet.com/article/ex-windows-boss-sinofsky-how-pre-2k-malware-and-lack-of-trust-hurt-microsoft/

ā€œOnce trust wanes, everything you do or try to do is viewed through a lens of distrust,ā€ Sinofsky told FastCompany in a Q&A about his new book Hardcore Software: Inside the Rise and Fall of the PC Revolution.

2 Likes

And it makes us also more forgiving of its foibles

No what? No to Xojo?

:thinking:

The title is ā€œSay ys to Xojoā€ and my answer is no.

I am here since may 1998 and I saw every turnā€¦ Palm Pilot (Ć«I would love to see it in REALbasic) who disappeared beforeā€¦ (we never saw it in RS)

Like someone already said here, REALbasic 5.5.5: I upgraded to 2005, thenā€¦ before I forced me starting to use the then new UI (more than one year after the upgrade): i never know what was better in it.

Carbon to Cocoa who arrived two years late, the new Navigation pane is still due, and so on.

I was unable to use my Xojo upgrade in 2013
because no ā€œā€œIntall your license # in Xojoā€ document was available: this was not an easy task, and that was certainly explained to beta tester, and lost at release date :frowning:
With luck, I will never see DevOps; and I do not talk about building plugins with Xojo (discussed so many years ago, not saying promised so many uears ago).

Xojo is a squeleton, to create real applications without adding $ plug-ins is nearly inusable for a home business point of viewā€¦

Worst: it tooks me many years (15) to undestand I can add a resize column feature to my ListBox (not talking about moving an entire column to left or right, etc. without plug-in. The most difficulty there was to think it is possible to do.

Last: take the provided examples in the LR sinc 1998: did they changed ? No, I do not think so. Just check for the 2019 releases (2019r1/ 2019r2): nearly no change.

I stopped to believe in propaganda many years ago.

Remember Swordfish?

How about ā€˜Son of Swordfishā€™? https://www.bkeeneybriefs.com/2010/08/real-studio-web-edition-or-the-son-of-swordfish/

Funny to think itā€™s been ~10 years since Web 1 was released. Letā€™s hope Web 2 doesnā€™t take 5 years to become usable.

1 Like

Swordfish predated my presence at REAL
But thatā€™s about ALL I can say to anyone about it :stuck_out_tongue:

That is until I get up off the floor from laughing ā€¦

???

Youā€™d have to have been around since 2006 or so to recall that code name

It was an announced & demoā€™d ā€œweb editionā€ about 4 years before Web 1.0 initially shipped

1 Like

OMG ! LAMO (seriously)
You have NO idea how crazy my cats think I am sitting here laughing out loud at this :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes