Say yes to Xojo

I stand corrected. Thanks for the background. The XML support has been the source of frustration over the years for me. Now I understand more why that’s the case.

Wasnt really trying to correct you
Just clarifying things

Xerces is one of the few libraries that does both DOM access and stream style access much like Sablotron permitted

I am late to this thread but here are my 2 cents.
I have been using RB/RS/Xojo for over 20 years as a hobby with one app currently in the Mac App Store. I love Xojo for MacOS desktop development.
With a focus mainly on MacOS I never really took advantage of cross platform development until the iOS feature came along. I have two iOS apps currently in the App Store. But they were a struggle. At this time you can’t really call Xojo cross platform for iOS. I was to make a presentation in Nashville about porting my MacOS app to iOS. Much of the presentation was about working around the issues of “not really cross-platform.” They have announced plans to make iOS really part of the Xojo cross platform story. “When” that happens I will gladly deep six that presentation.
I am 75 years old and I think I am past taking up another language. I have tried to read the Swift manual two times and I never get beyond about 50 pages. So, I am sticking (or is it stuck?) with Xojo and all of the company’s issues.

3 Likes

Hi @TomBaumgartner and welcome to the community!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Xojo which sound really positive. If you’d like to share your presentation (since I’m assuming you’ve already put in the work?) how about putting it up on YouTube for some feedback? I’m sure there are plenty of people here who would value information from someone who has both a Mac and an iOS app on the respective app stores.

1 Like

Several of the presenters who were going to present in Nashville have posted their presentations online in the Xojo channel
Its still worthwhile to post such a presentation until Xojo does move iOS into sync with the rest of the frameworks

1 Like

Xojo selected cheerleaders to be MVPs and then the MVPs heads swelled with with forum power. Now they might as well be Xojo employees.

1 Like

Those long standing bugs are what pushed me away from Xojo. They just don’t care about fixing the bugs in a timely manner. PHP doesn’t have these problems.

or in some cases never acquire that level (how long as Xojo for iOS be out?)

Web 1.0 was that way even a few years ago. Lots and lots of bugs.

Of course Xojo selected cheerleaders. I would expect an MVP to be incredibly positive about Xojo. However, I think the MVP’s do themselves no favors by not being critical of the company when it counts. You can be a cheerleader AND be critical at the same time. It’s hard but it can be done.

We don’t know what they’re doing behind the scenes. And that’s to be expected but also makes it incredibly hard to gauge if they’re being ‘yes’ men or actually bringing change. Secrecy doesn’t help Xojo, IMO. So they might be doing good things, we just don’t know.

1 Like

Not at Xojo. We’ve seen how they punish those who are critical.

Think Siskel and Ebert
They still had good relationships with the companies whose movies they critiqued
They were reasonably well regarded
But they were’nt cheer leaders

They critiqued when it was deserved and praised when it was deserved

1 Like

And I thought the major purpose of the MVP was to provide a voice to the community, to provide transparency where it would count, to convince Xojo where their resources should be focused to grow that community, and their business.

Instead, they seem to be more “Mostly Virtual Police”

2 Likes

NO COMMENT :slight_smile:

1 Like

from Xojo: Xojo MVP Program

1. To facilitate communication with the Xojo community. The MVPs are there to help us get the word out about things going on at Xojo and also to help the community make sure we are hearing what’s going on with them.
1 Like

Norm… I think those are features that are supposed to be in MVP2.0 , but we know how those releases might go

1 Like

Watch what they do.
Not what they say.
Actions speak louder than words

To be fair and play devils advocate the MVP program is fairly new plus this world-wide pandemic has somewhat derailed most peoples plans and what they do as “normal”

As for PHP having no bugs then at least I got one giggle today. PHP has had tens of thousands of bugs over the years and currently has nearly 500 on their outstanding bug tracker.

That might be technically true. In my use, I run into Xojo bugs, but haven’t seen a PHP bug yet.

1 Like

The way feedback works its hard to know how many Xojo has outstanding

Feedbacks “newest” list is limited to a 150 reports or so
There are 90 open in that list - about 60 as bugs of some sort
Recently active tells me there are 300 there but I can only see 122
So there are 178 “hidden” from my view that I cant tell statuses one way or the other
Of the ones I can see there are 42 open bugs of various forms

My personal case list has 275 open reports - bugs & feature requests
Of those 138 are reports as bugs - in various states from reproducible to needs review

Beyond that I have no idea
This is just what I can see

1 Like