Replacement for Xojo as it relates to windows development

And they appear to have no intention of working on fixing it
I get they used LLVM and LLVM has no linker on Windows to build macOS apps but this IS part of the value proposition of Xojo and they don’t seem to be investing in moving that forward

1 Like

FM Runtimes were included in FM Pro Advanced. It’s available in FM 18, but removed from 19 after being deprecated for years. FM said they’d have alternative, but that never happened.

That’s why I thought Xojo was such an amazing deal. But PHP is even better and no bugs, that I’ve found.

I had to get downright rude to Embarcadero before they’d leave me alone.

And… another impossible-to-find product. Wow.

I talked to them and made my case for “you need to write delphi using the x-platform framework in order to make a SERIOUS case that delphi IS cross platform”

They eventually got it after I talked to a senior product engineer
Lots of lower level folks didnt

But I dont think its going to happen as the compilers are dependent on MS infrastructure and so not x-platform. Same for linkers etc.

And porting the UI itself they figured would take 5 years

Really?

Btw the thread you link to no longer exists …

That thread sure does
But it IS part of “testers” - maybe you’re not in that group so cant see the thread ?

This seems really … important ? to maintain the claim of

Build Native, Cross-Platform Apps
Rapid application development for Desktop, Web, Mobile & Raspberry Pi.
Develop on macOS, Windows or Linux

and

Cross-platform
Code once then deploy on macOS, Windows, Linux, the web, iOS and Raspberry Pi.

uh …

Norm… welcome to marketing where what we say and what we do are not the same thing.

I just expect what I’m told to be at least close to accurate
You know like when a manufacturer says “our water filters are NSF-38 certified” that they really are

but …

Many years ago I discovered realBasic pretty much by accident as I was looking for a replacement for VB 6 since MS was moving to .Net and I didn’t wanted to mess with that even though at the time I was developing for Windows exclusively.

I purchased a license for realBasic and started wondering around the forums and during the same time I was looking to buy a new laptop for developing.

@npalardy you probably do not remember but back then I asked you for advice and you recommended me to buy a Mac, THANK YOU again for that advice. I was primarely developing for Windows but did compile for Mac once I started using realBasic for the odd clients who had one or two macs in their offices.

I have been so out of touch with windows that I didn’t even know until today that Xojo can´t compile for mac from windows :stuck_out_tongue:

That wouldn’t be marketing anymore but a straight lie.

I know that you can’t compile for iOS on a non-Mac computer (though there are online resources to help with that) but it’s news to me that you can not compile a Mac app from Windows. Is that indeed the case, and if yes, since when?

As of 2019R3.1 that is utter bollocks.

As for unreleased versions: Really? You complain about something not working in a pre-release build?

Wake me up when there are real news, not made up ones - I get enough of that from Trump …

Wellll … again in theory you could compile for iOS just about anywhere
Linkers signing etc all become problematic of course

But not being able to go from Windows, or linux for that matter, to Mac is just … it really wrecks the cross platform claim

Since they moved to LLVM and 64 bit mac apps

You cannot build a 64 bit mac app for macOS on anything BUT macOS
No bollocks
And since Catalina requires 64 bit this is really getting quite critical for “cross platform development”

Its not just a pre-release issue
I asked there because I was begging for Xojo to put some effort into fixing it in the next release(s)

And this is not even in the road map

I know
Its not even in the bug base as a BUG - its listed as a feature request ???

marketing leads sales, sales leads to purchase, and by the time you are ready to use the product or make significant progress… the return window is gone.

in other words, never buy a car from a car salesmen in the US. you will be stuck with something for the next 5 years hating every minute of it. swearing you never do it again until. you guest it… time to by a new car. :stuck_out_tongue:

It might seem that I defend Xojo more than I should but I don’t see this as a straight lie but rather as a semi-truth.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-30 a la(s) 20.31.35

The code IS cross platform, only you can´t compile on the same machine.

I’ve been accused of being a glass half full kinda person more than I care to remember :wink:

I dont think its about defending or making an argument against Xojo, but rather what options impact you specifically… for example, I have no need to compile for OSX from windows since the majority of my apps are windows based and coded on a windows machine. For those who do need to code for both, I can see it where the recommendation is to have a Mac in order to be able to submit your app to the app store.