Replacement for Xojo as it relates to windows development

https://www.omnis.net/developers/resources/pricing.jsp

looks like 2k for perpetual license or $250 per month for solo developer. If I may add, the current price is not appealing.

Precious few

Pretty sure Omni’s is NOT written using Omni’s

3200 a month is Licenses for 15 developers for macOS and Windows

• preferred Tech Support
  • updates for client licenses
  • access to eBug & beta program
  • 65% discount on products
  • 4 days individual consultancy
  • 1 day direct dialogue with Omnis engineering

Thanks Rich but that link opens a contact form :+1:

Customers in Guatemala

To purchase Omnis products and services in your region, please contact your local Omnis distributor.

I hate it when they can’t just list a price. Oh and there is no local distributor as Guatemala is clasified as “rest of the wold” for them.

Umm… On the page I see they did. (Omnis)
$2k for the software.
plus $250 - $3200/month if you want some sort of support plan.

Can’t see through any info on what platforms they have an IDE…

It only lists it IF you’re in one of their direct sales regions - which Hector isnt apparently

Some more infor re> Omnis Studio.

I must admit I have been out of the Omnis loop for approx. 14 years but here is some info which is probably still mostly correct:

• There is a per seat cost. However, we never had a problem justifying this to our customers as the tool made you very productive so the reduction in development time helped to absorb those costs.

• I’m pretty sure IDEs were available for macOS & MS-Windows. The web server software could also run on Linux.

• I’m pretty sure part of the IDE was written in Omnis although it was not something I was ever concerned about so didn’t really care.

• The development license cost is more expensive than Xojo (which I think is too cheap). I would say the difference in cost is justified by what you get and how productive you are. The $3,200 per month support package doesn’t seem right to me.

so… Why do I think it is great?

1. Omnis products have existed since around 1979 so have a long track record for creating these kind of tools.

2. Their support was good and it was not uncommon to get hot fixes.

3. The controls available in a desktop window include some very powerful ones such as:
    • A Complex Grid control which allows you to use other controls (edit fields / checkboxes / popup menus) etc… on a row and from what I can remember in the headers.
    • A report editor control.
    • Built-in graphing.

4. Good database integration including: Oracle, Sybase, DB2, Postgres, MySQL, ODBC and their own file sharing based datafile technology.
    From what I can remember, on macOS we sometimes also used the Actual Technologies ODBC drivers.

5. Omnis interprets your code rather than compiling it which allows you to do some pretty cool and very productive things such as in the IDE as:
    • Being able to open a window that you are creating with a couple of clicks and without waiting for any kind of compilation.
    • Being able to run a method (with some limitations) while you are actually writing it.
    • Being able to edit code to fix bugs while your code is running.

6. Omnis has a very powerful language which even allows you to create / modify classes at runtime.

7. Omnis has very powerful list structure type which allows you to do such tasks as:
    • Sorting
    • Searching
    • Merging of lists
    • Removal of duplicates
    • Tracking of rows that are added / removed / modified so that you can easily write the corresponding code to update the database.

8. The debugger is quite advanced including:
    • Step In / Out / Over
    • Step To Line
    • Break On Value Change
    • Break On Calculation
    • The ability to step back and run code again (very useful when you are fixing bugs while code is running or wanting to see the impact of changing a variable’s value)

9. Report Generator
    • Reports can be created by dragging and dropping with the ability to extend the capabilities by writing code.
    • You can include some report class editing capabilities at runtime for the end-user.
    • Reports can be sent to different devices such as: screen / printer / PDF file / serial port / RTF file / disk file

10. Omnis can be extended by creating a C++ xcomp similar to a Xojo plugin.
    Compared to Xojo, Omnis do eat their own dog food and supply quite a bit of functionality via xcomps.

11. Support For Web & Mobile Apps
    These require a server component to run your project. When I was using Omnis the browser end was originally implemented via a browser plugin. This has now been replaced with Javascript.
    Some key highlights are:
    • Your project can contain both desktop & web versions meaning that you can share the relevant logic. What got executed depended on if the library was executed by a desktop runtime or a server license.
    • The web forms (Remote Forms in Omnis speak) are built in a similar way to a desktop window although the controls are different.
    • As long as you only use specific features in a method you can specify that Omnis runs them in the browser rather than on the server.

Ah. Didn’t realize.

What is the programming language? They speak a lot about JS, but what is the core language used?

It seems like some kind of basic dialect

Great! Yet another dialect. (Sigh)

So what is the end-user licensing cost? This means the deployment cost, not the developer cost (which is already shown to be $2k). Every end-user of an app you develop must have a runtime license (CAL - either single or multi-user). But I can’t find any clue about its cost.

Me either
Just this page that details that you need a runtime or some kind of deployment license just about everywhere https://www.omnis.net/developers/faqs/

Which means that at least for me Omnis is not an alternative

1 Like

When it takes more than 3 minutes to try and find pricing and everything that is found is cryptic, its safe to say its not a tool I would want to spend time on.

2 Likes

the “call us for pricing” thing is usually “we’re really expensive and want to get your name in our sale folks hands so they can pester you to death”

at least that has been my experience

From what I can remember, runtimes cost around 80 GBP each with discount when ordering multiple.

Jeeeebus!

@HalGumbert talked about the runtime fees for Filemaker at one time and this is cheap comparatively

I think 4D still has a runtime fee as well

starting to understand why many before me and after me have a tough time finding something suitable after experiencing Xojo. Either its, a language that has a high cost that is close to Xojo, doesnt make sense to dive into it since Xojo is more economical. Then there are languages that are more economical than Xojo but doesnt have quite the feeling of Xojo.

Welcome to the club

Xojo checks a LOT of boxes
But over the years they’ve gotten more tight lipped
And seemingly less responsive to the folks who pay them the most money per license

I get that for a long time people who stuck with them a long time actually paid less because we bought at a discount on a “renewal” and those were discounted 50% usually
But all that is gone now and we pay full price every year - or we would IF we saw the value and the responsiveness

I just dont get their approach to things
They seem to alienate the very folks who could really help them by just ignoring them

Hell a LOT of users have said they’d be happy tp pay them a lot more $ if they saw that coming back in addressing their bugs etc

:man_shrugging: