Polishing the brass?

I hate to be cynical but the most recent blog post does appear to have a certain “we’re polishing the brass on the titanic” flavor to it.

How do we decide what goes into Xojo

I really would have expected some small nod in the direction of “things should change,” given the recent turmoil on the forum and on blogs of longtime users. The fact that one of their largest 3rd party supporters is voicing concerns is also very alarming.

I’m in the “I want Xojo to succeed” camp. But this does feel like a nadir in customer confidence. I’m not convinced parroting the party line that “bugs are bad, but also inevitable” (while true) strikes the right tone.

2 Likes

I would like to see the top 100 list of bugs vs. features, so I made a feedback case asking for that list to be available as category in Feedback: feedback://showreport?report_id=61913

4 Likes

This was precisely my point. Even after pleas, politeness, diplomacy, begging, logic, reason, evidence a literal slave uprising and a mob at the door with torches, forks and swords… the answer is still:

1. I know best, and you are too stupid to get it (explanation of cost-benefit like we are children who have never been in a business environment)

2. I know you are angry and that you have carefully laid out valid points, but I don’t really care so f*** you, just pay me and continue to prostrate, or leave, in any case you have my answer. No.

3. If all the times I told all of you how wrong you all are in the countless forum defense posts did not get into you skulls, here is a condensed rehash of it all, in many cases word for word. But in a format where counter arguments and evidence can’t be offered. How many times do I have to beat this impact surface (your thick skulls) with a hammer until you realize that I have it all figured out.

4. Nothing is wrong with Xojo Inc. or the quality control process, stop hurting our feelings.

5. Any further uprisings or attempts to circumvent my process will be shut down as I have clearly explained why you are all wrong. Feedback points are for actual new feature requests that WE feel can be sold to a new larger audience, not bugs for the people who paid, we already have your money.

6. look over there, we have made a “made with Xojo showcase” to prove to new prospects that there is a thriving customer portfolio with a grand total of 26 entries, only 9 of which are non Xojo community related, customer facing products. So all this talk about problems is just hogwash from a tiny group of unsatisfied-able users. (was doing this now more important than further exploring customer pressing demands for a major bug fix release?)

7. We can’t be responsible for bugs in our code, as you all know it’s impossible to make quality and reliable software unless you are NASA. If we release mountains of bugs, its not like someone is going to die or anything seriously bad could happen. (-well happen to us anyway, as you always auto renew)

8. If you really want your showstoppers fixed and you have deep pockets, give us a call. We proudly offer Sponsored Development. (I thought a commercial software product was sponsored development?)

9. Xojo pro plus accounts will be given absolute top priority, while being ushered to the front row of the feedback waiting room, where they can expire with a higher priority number attached. (see: Sponsored Development)

10. Since we limit your feedback point choices to bugs or features, rather than having a separate point pile for both, we can continue to justify your further subsidy of new feature development at the expense of quality control, after all feedback said that’s what you need.

11. Don’t even think about trying the old feedback point escalation storm again, in case you did not get the message with the first one, I will shut you down without the slightest hesitation if it is not to my liking, and no I don’t have to justify anything.

This is an acknowledgement that the concentrated efforts of group action and discontent being used to force positive change are working and causing panic in the halls of power. Blog posts, new releases, CEO putting out daily fires in the forum, all clearly demonstrate that continued pressure is indicated and will eventually provide remedy.

We need an actual plan to solve the chronic and systemic issues, and we need bug fix releases to begin flowing at once. Anything less is just more platitudes, deflection and fire retardant. Ego and stubbornness will eventually give way to customer needs and market forces.

4 Likes

If there was a way to engage with the community in a helpful way his response is the polar opposite.

9 Likes

Please read this several times a day until it is memorized:

„I have finally understood what the real problem is: It’s me!
Because I am not part of the lucky group of „average* user“, „most* users“ and „many* users“ the product is not intended for me. Therefore it is also not possible to respond to my problems and suggestions for improvement. In order to not disturb the harmony of „average* user“, „most* users“ and „many* users“ I should remain silent or maybe leave.“

*Terms often used by non-scientists to give weight to their statements, even though they have no data to support their statements.

2 Likes

The reasons for what goes into Xojo are not much different to what goes into MBS Plugins.
We add things because:

• A client pays for it
  • Multiple developers asked about it
  • We need it ourselves
  • It makes a good bullet point for the next release announcement.
  • It’s fun to code for me.

And of course we know who are our big customers, so we may prioritize support to them.

4 Likes

You mean: Big customers get fixes within minutes, small customers within hours? :wink:

5 Likes

We do indeed make a difference there.

e.g. on the weekend or later after 18:00 o’clock, if you send me an email, I may put it in the “check later” folder and check it next on the next business day.

3 Likes

„I have finally understood what the real problem is: It’s me!
Because I am not part of the lucky group of „average* user“, „most* users“ and „many* users“ the product is not intended for me. Therefore it is also not possible to respond to my problems and suggestions for improvement. In order to not disturb the harmony of „average* user“, „most* users“ and „many* users“ I should remain silent or maybe leave.“

Which is how I feel also.

But we’re not alone. As we’ve witnessed over the last few weeks (maybe even months now), there are a lot of “us” who’ve grown with the product, and many have exceeded it’s capabilities, some of which we can handle, some of which really requires assistance from Xojo.

1 Like

Me, too, yet I thought I was part of Geoff’s target audience! I find myself disenchanted with his responses on TOF. I get that there are always prioritizations that have to be made. His method for prioritization is flawed. I have a small code base in comparison to some of you, but five Feedback rankings is nowhere near enough for me to show what bugs are affecting me, much less what I wish to have for the future. I have one feature request ranked; the other four are bug-fix requests. Xojo is not getting a true view of what their customers need if they rely solely upon the Feedback system for determining the company’s priorities.

The difference being that you are responsive to the customers within a reasonable time and seem truly interested in pleasing your customers.

4 Likes

I am getting convinced that there aren’t “a lot of you” in comparison to the “citizen developers” and that professionals aren’t Xojo’s priority target customers anymore (if they ever were). They can’t admit it publicly of course, so they have to come up with all kinds of excuses/strategies to justify their current direction. That direction should be designed to please/attract the customers that give them most of their income, If professionals aren’t pleased with it (which I don’t actually know), maybe it is because Xojo is focusing on the other group of customers.

This is not a new idea, nor it is my own idea, I have seen it suggested several times in the past. Lately it looks like Xojo are only trying to hold their position until the current storm passes (this isn’t their first storm, they know the drill) and the loss of (relative) interest for professional customers can explain that behavior.

2 Likes

You love the sound of your own voice that is for sure.

Why don’t you whiny fools just go find a more suitable product. Must be out there somewhere - afterall you keep telling Xojo this is the case. Really tiresome.

I’m pretty sure Geoff’s “citizen developers” don’t want to pay for a broken bug-ridden application either.

I’m a doctor, not a programmer and I don’t make my living from Xojo. I am therefore a “citizen developer” but I am getting pretty fed up with bugs languishing for years whilst Geoff chases ever more unicorns to add to Xojo.

5 Likes

I have the idea that this group is the people that dont botter to make a feedback case, write a mail or in the forum and use the tool too little to care or just leave silently.

And some one has the stupid idea that if this mayority is not complaining is the same than being happy with it. :thinking:

2 Likes

You love the sound of your own voice that is for sure.

If you are genuinely concerned with the future of your tool, you should too.

Why don’t you whiny fools just go find a more suitable product. Must be out there somewhere - afterall you keep telling Xojo this is the case. Really tiresome.

This statement is revealing, insider perhaps?

I remember another user who said that Xojo Inc. called him and the entire basis of their argument was there was no better place to go… I see a pattern of behavior here.

How great would it be if this were Geoff with an alias? LOL

1 Like

Reading @anon50707693’s profile I dont think this is geoff as some alias
But I also don’t get the impression he this person spends all day every day using Xojo like some of us do / did.

Not necessarily even a he