.NET 6 Deep Dive

Their roadmap had actual dates. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: While xojo roadmap has points anounced many years ago with no release date.

Anyway, I said that more for the part of an actual final version followed by only bug fixes instead of an eternal alpha release.

I dont think this is about resources as money and engineers. This is more of having a capable CEO that can: listen to people and make what people neds instead of a “I know best”. A clear vision for the tool instead of rewrites, rebranding and cosmetic languaje changes. Someone who can make a realistic plan that include the users, so they can actually deliver what they offered in the state they promissed instead of delaying features for years and deliver them half baked.

No money, no engineers, just have a decent CEO who limits your reach but deliver quality. Make it realistic promisses, make it slow but make it right.

Having worked there I’d say its a mix of all of the above
What proportions is debatable

Just a CEO without engineers isnt going to work
Engineers without someone leading wont likely work either

Like anything you need the right mix of all of the things required
Money, time, talent, leadership, etc etc etc

Okay, took a small look on the differences. Maui: thousands of engineers are driving the technology development.

Xojo: five engineers are driving the development. Statement ends

What does this mean?

Btw lots of peeved off developers in the comment section of the link …

Objective c and swift will never be able to take the place of c#, java or c/c++. There is no need for apples objective c on other platforms as far as I can evaluate

???

Nobody has any plans for that, including Apple. Objective-C won‘t even be on Macs for much longer - it is being replaced by Swift.

1 Like

I doubt Apple will get rid of ObjC there is too much software vested in it… Just like COBOL still exists… .But I do agree that they will and are shifting the focus to Swift (even though Swift still relies on ObjC for some things)

Maui won’t support linux? Bummer :frowning:

Hi Varandor, from where you got this information? Maybe I am to stupid to read. If not there will be no real Cross Platform with devices like RASPBERRY PI and similar ones.

Look here:

There is a community effort to get linux support, but not from MS :frowning:

So MS is back: Linux Support to look on but not for productive use in the same use case like MS Windows. That can not be! They want to sell their MS Windows further and they will not make it open Source, that’s for sure. And they will not make their UI Systems Open Source. Why? While then there is no need for MS Windows anymore. And probably no need for their Software as a Service Ideas they have with MS Windows. So I am happy to be with MACOS and Linux in my environment. Means: BSD and Linux. No Windows. Since M1 not even with a chance for Windows x86. GOOD enough.

As long as MS is so strongly embedded in the big companies, I don’t think they are really interested in the rest. If I hear from my brother (who is IT manager in a major company here in Belgium), the millions of $ they spend yearly on Office alone, and an equal number on hired Microsoft developers for SharePoint, I’m always baffled. And there are plenty of companies working that way.

Did you read the original article posted by Bob inb this thread?

“.NET 6 is the next version of .NET, a modern, open-source development platform for building apps for any OS with the best performance and productivity. .NET 6 completes the unification of the platform and adds new capabilities for building web, native and hybrid apps for Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS and Android with a single codebase. See how to write less code, target more devices and build cloud native apps faster. Learn how to move your .NET Framework apps forward with the .NET Upgrade Assistant.”

looks like the blog you

Looks like he just made a conclution based only in what he saw in a early .NET 6 preview.

Ivan, I believe it is not so. As far as I can see there is Coding support for all platforms but Gui Support not. And that is not Cross Platform. Writing with one Codebase for Windows, Linux, macOS, BSD, IOS, Android and Web is only possible with Java until now. There is simply no alternative with Dotnet in near future. Why? No Idea. But what you wrote is their advertisement text. Not what they really deliver. Maybe there is in future a Version which can do all of that. Until that day I will stay on Java. And I guess also for a wide future.

The preview 4 ALREADY has Linux as a target and in the .NET 6 repo there are ALREADY the .NET SDK and the Runtime for linux.

So, what makes you think this feature will be omited from the final release?

Use your Dotnet and that’s it. Until it is not confusing anymore: I WILL USE JAVA WHILE IT IS ALREADY CROSS PLATFORM FOR ALL PLATFORMS: NO STRESSES.

Show me the visual Editor for GUI Applications on Mac and Linux. If there is none: no chance. If it is only GTK#: forget it because it looks that ugly that I can’t stand this as application look and feel. That’s behind all what Java delivers: with different Look and Feels (Like Darcula, IntelliLightFlat or others) you can build modern looking cross platform Apps. And if you want you can use natives, also working. That’s JaVa DeVeLoPiNg. Working since 1998. On ALL Platforms looking the same and on all platforms working without stresses. C# is another animal. Sometimes it works like expected, sometimes not. On Mac the Visual Studio is completely different to Windows and on Linux the programming totally different to Mac. So you’ll need really passion for developing and Testing. I don’t have that kind of passion.

The topic of this thread is about .NET 6 Deep Dive, it is part of the TOPIC to talk about .Net 6 features

So, don’t stress yoursef, the thread is not about convincing you to use .NET nor about YOU on any case. No one cares if YOU use .NET or not.

Why dont you make yourself a JAVA Deep Dive topic? and talk about you and java?

1 Like

What you are ignoring is the fact that Dotnet has at this time NOT the promised abilities and nobody knows if they come. I would appreciate using Dotnet if and when they would build it really for Linux and Mac. But they thrill out all times that they will but they do not fulfill it. Dotnet is not bad. But for Cross Platform it will be needed much more. And as you wrote they have everything or will soon deliver. But they will not and that’s it.

I have also seen a webinar where they talked about linux. That they wont support desktop apps in linux, and that it will be a community effort to get that going.

That means it will at least take much longer time to reach all targets, and it also means that there will be a long time before I can make use of it.

Dont get me wrong, I love .net, and code in it every day, but Maui is still a long way from being usable, for me at least…