Monty Python have nothing on Xojo …

I ask why the emojis on the Xojo forum are so ugly - Dana says they use the default and locks the thread.

I start a new thread and say you can change it so please do that - Dana deletes that thread.

I post a third thread with a link to how to change the emojis used on a discourse forum - and Dana locks it as a duplicate.

Monty Python have nothing on Xojo … :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I actually think that might be a World Record - three threads in a row locked or deleted within literally 5 min tops …

:1st_place_medal:

It feels kind of wrong to be proud of that … but somehow I am … a bit … World Record Holder has a nice ring to it …

1 Like

Your post was flagged as inappropriate : the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.

This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback.

inappropriate

:thinking: … hmmmm, not sure what “the community” objected to … after all nobody seems to have objected to Lynn’s poor taste in jokes: “after we get our afternoon exercises rioting and burning down buildings”

… so I’m unsure if it was “flagged by the community” for being anti-lying-orange-weasels or for annoying a certain admin person at Xojo Inc by asking for nicer emojis???

Anyone can give me a hint? Dana still around? :wink:

P.S. #NZHellHole is really trending on Twitter :joy: … Go :kiwi_fruit::kiwi_fruit::kiwi_fruit:! :+1:

Maybe if you weren’t so… strident, people would listen to what you’re saying without being put off by how you say it.

:man_shrugging:

:man_shrugging:

powerless here

the only folks who can give you a hint as to why it might have been flagged are the admins & moderators in “that other place”

There’s a certain amount of “language” issue
At least that been my experience
Where in English you or I might say “You should do …” I have found that some Germans would phrase that as “You MUST do …”
And other things that translated dont carry the exact same sense as a native speaker might use
I found this out when talking with Thomas, Markus, Christian, and Gino at the MBS conference in Koblenz
It was MUCh easier to clear up these kinds of misunderstandings in person because we could rapidly go back and forth
And I had incentive :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m 5’7" and I dont think any of those guys is less than 6’3" :stuck_out_tongue:
Like being a stump in the middle of a forest

1 Like

Here is a little German - English thesaurus:

German says/does/talks about - English hears

German Fashion - Lederhosen
German Cuisine - Sauerkraut
Encouraging / Come on! - Impatient
Come on! / Move it! - Harrassing
Efficient - You’re lazy!
Straightforward - Rude!!!
Humour - They don’t have it.
Beer - NOW we’re talking!

:wink:

P.S. And Dana changed the emojis - I guess it takes a while to show up as they are cached by the browser … so “Thanks, Dana!” (I had never before realised how much these ugly emojis annoy me)

1 Like

Come on, don’t be a wuss - I’m German, therefore you need to give it to me straight, otherwise you’ll NEVER get your message across :wink:

1 Like

YAY !!! Beer time !!!

Exhibit A.

1 Like

QED:

You ran straight into that one, didn’t you … :wink:

Hobbs attack

And as an example of a typical German I give you Thomas:

autodiscovery

:heart_eyes: :joy: :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart: :joy: :heart_eyes: :heart: :heart_eyes: :joy: :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart: :joy: :heart_eyes: :heart: :heart_eyes: :joy: :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart: :joy: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Well Markus, I cant resist to say that your tone might be interpreted as offensive by native speakers… and I am saying this as German… sometimes it really helps being polite by asking yourself, if there is something I’ve missed.

2 Likes

I think he was saying that in jest :slight_smile:

And you don’t think you over-reacted about emoji even a little bit?

2 Likes

Who is this a reply to ???
Me ?

No, Markus. I had seen the complaint threads. It was a bit overkill to make two posts and take a tone for the theme of the emoji set. It just seems like it wasn’t worth complaining about.

2 Likes

Nice table. Might be useful for Barnier in the Brexit negotiations, and explains a lot of what is happening at the moment.

How did a friend of mine summarize the British-German relationship:

“The British are too polite to be honest, and the Germans are too honest to be polite.”

2 Likes

Is he German? They don’t get humour …

Damn Germans
Wheres the beer ???