How many Xojo developers use it for Web Apps?

After reading a few latest threads on this forum.

I am just curious and would like to know how many Xojo developers use it for building web apps?

I for one use Xojo solely for building desktop app only.

I used Web 1.0 and now use php.

1 Like

I for one left Xojo in the dust many years ago, for all platforms

I still have a web app made with Xojo. Which at some point in the future I will have to re-write it another tool.

2 Likes

I used to use Web 1 and had several web apps and web APIs developed in Web 1.
I tried Web 2 but it just wasn’t complete and I’m not convinced it’s gotten much better.
Much happier having moved away from Xojo.

4 Likes

I use xojo for desktop apps that are in-depth calculators.

Reports, web, internet, communication, graphics, are all programmed in other tools.

This is a question for TOF, but be careful!

1 Like

same here, a quite complex Web API and UI in Web 1.0, where i used tables as weekly calendar, was not that bad…

more screenshots can be found at https://hangarbox.de

4 Likes

sounds interesting. did you use plugins?

I have some web1 apps in use. Web2 was a joke when it came out, it has made a lot of progress with the YEARS but my show stopers list is not fixed yet so, it is not worth the money.

Xojo is good as a RAD (Note that this are apps for local networks with LOTS of instances running or light use over the internet) but for something more serious, I would not use it.

2 Likes

as far as I remember only the calendar plugin from Jeremie Leroy. I’ve bought the source code from him to be able to adjust and customize. The rest was pretty basic Xojo. But the main advantage was, that I could reuse all my objects and give the customers a standalone webserver executable, they could put themself behind any reverse proxy but the most just forwarded their ports.

Personally I have never come to trust any general purpose dev tool for building reliable and scalable web apps.

I still prefer to use PHP where possible.

The kind of freedom we get in selecting the Theme, Framework, etc. are just unmatched by general purpose dev tools.

2 Likes

The fact Xojo Web sends client events on a round trip to the server was enough to put me off :grimacing:

2 Likes

Exactly, I rejected it out of hand because it clearly doesn’t scale to arbitrary numbers of users. Or even very significant numbers of users.

Even if I had an app that I expected would only ever have 3 or 4 users (say, an internal administrative app, which I have one that I actually could have built as a web app rather than desktop), you never know what will happen in the future or what parts of the code you night want to move to or reuse in a more demanding scenario.

3 Likes

PCSoft’s WebDev is a robust web app builder but I have never come to trust it when it comes to large number of users, in spite of the fact that there are developers who swear by it and have built many large scale web apps in it.

Muaha… just saw this on WebDevs website…

… thinking, when ever Xojo had such an audience or full theatre for its Conference or Reteat or should I say hideouts?

2 Likes

WebDev is not a solution due to the fact it is not free and open source. Never ever again the same “experiences” with a “genius” turning against his long year fellow customers.

2 Likes

Why should program be free and open source? I will gladly pay for a good product and open source products die too. I paid less than cost of a regular bar night for professional version of 8th and level of support from the developer have been incredible!

Free and open source like php prevents one person or company from holding progress back.

2 Likes

Who wouldn’t. The issue with proprietary is that it is at the mercy of those who control the company that produces it. I’ve now had two cases (FileMaker and Xojo), where would-be rulers of the software world impose their vision, driven by hubris and greed, on customers. The ‘proprietary’ of these small its-all-about-the-boss software shacks is nothing you can rely on.

2 Likes