Heads-up: blog post about Web1 support has been updated

Xojo updated the blog post that details support policy for Web1-based applicarions:
https://blog.xojo.com/2020/10/08/yes-we-still-support-your-web-1-0-projects/

There is also a recent discussion about Web1 support:
https://forum.xojo.com/t/macos-ventura-an-r2019-r3-2/72831/47

Yet another shitstorm over the lack of clarity about what ā€œtechnical supportā€ means

We still provide technical support for web 1 but we do not release updates to any version of Xojo except the current shipping version.
As I said, technical support. Questions, etc.
The blog post is about technical support and we do still offer technical support for Web 1.0 apps.

Does this include special private one off patched versions ? No idea
Plugins, from Xojo, like were mentioned that might patch some function, class, method ?
Or just ā€œcall & us weā€™ll seeā€

Or what ?
Its hugely ambiguous and trying to ascertain what it means is all these people want

So Geoff edited the blog post to ā€œclarifyā€
But it doesnt help as its still not clear what this support might entail

1 Like

I was thinking the exact same thing. I keep wondering is this intentional or just stupidity? With all the f#ckups Xojo Inc has done over the years, Iā€™m starting to lean towards the latterā€¦ :thinking:

It means: when it is not running on an OS Version of the future the support says: you need to move your app to Xojo 2023.1.

And technical support means: ask the user forum. Thatā€™s what support always means.

Just another marketing scam and a middle finger to customersā€¦

curios that every time I said Xojo killed web1, someone of the staff answered that it was not killed, they still offered supportā€¦

Well, they write text clearly intended to be misunderstood and then the real troll shows the midle finger telling the customer, it is your fault for not understanding itā€¦

It is sad to see a lot of users like olivierV believing this crap

Greg must be very proud, another renovation cancelled because of him?

I donā€™t know if he is really proud but I can see that most of the people did not realized in fact that with Xojo Web 2.0 the story of Xojo Web 1.0 was ending. I was showing that exactly in TOF when it happened. And Geoff Perlman promised in that situation that there will still be support for Customers and help if there are showstoppers. In fact: I snowed that there will be not.

When Xojo released Web 2.0 it was half baked and not ready for production. Many changes were done until today to become a more ore less adult framework for Web 2.0. But the risk to produce Web 1.0 Apps was not realized by many while they thought: oh, we will have Support for Web 1.0 and there is no problem.

Indeed: there is. The problem of Web 1.0 was that it was ten years old. Means: the technology was old. The System was aged. The technology needed to be changed. With Web 2.0 they done exactly that.

But they had no interests to realize Web 2.0 so that Web 1.0 Projects would run. Instead of this they changed Web 2.0 so massively that tons of functionality got removed. Instead of writing a new Web framework with the same functionality which can convert the old projects completely. No. They have done a change where it is not possible. Removed Styles (oh, they could implement them without problems but they donā€™t want to) and many other functionalities. First target was: get out fast with new framework to be able to sell.

That results in a shitty situation for Web 1 Customers. And as I can see: not ao many customers migrated from Web 1.0 to Web 2.0 but to tOTAL DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGIES. Why? While nobody wants to rewrite his application every few years. Xojo broke with the need of reliability.

The sad part is that it is realized by the community only today and not when I told to the people that exactly that WILL BE HAPPENED.

It always makes me feel quite nostalgic when Xojo Inc. makes philosophical reflections on timelines.

Yes that is really happened. It was blowing Xamarin out of the water: they are really successful and do not need wet feet anymore.

1 Like

1 Like

Shows somehow: what he says is not reliable. Thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

and anyone who still hopes and believes in him cannot be helped. Unfortunately, I had to painfully recognize and accept that.

2 Likes

Nothing will change with Geoff in charge of Xojo. he canā€™t do the job otherwise he would.

1 Like

The problem is that he answered on my post on top that time that there of coarse will be support and help when and if there are showstoppers. Everybody now can see: there is no support for Showstoppers. Answers for questions. But Bugs do not need answers, they would need fixes.

In this case he spoke truths: there is nothing more than answers for questions but no new compilation of the old version of Xojo. Not that it is not possible. Xojo is not willing to do that. That would be too much effort. To realize how old 2019R3.2 is I have to remind: July 2020 it is released. The release before was January.

Looking on it it is two years old. In October 2020R1 came up. But - I also have to remind possibly - it was everything but not production ready. Many changes between 2020R1 and todays version has been done in all frameworks. So when looking on it, we had for nearly two years a Beta and this 2019r3.2 as production version. Cause nobody wanted to produce on Beta I guess.

And nobody could write his Software really on it without being in the need of rewriting big parts of it because of changes in frameworks. So this old Software 2019R3.1 was until the last release the only one reliable enough for production. Guess what, that nobody snowedā€¦People gone in production from 2020 one and had cold and hot showers in between from changes in framework, Bugs and massive problems.

1 Like

Even though Geoff as CEO ultimately has the responsibility for the design of Web2 I often wonder if he gets the blame for a lot of the framework design decisions that were pushed By Greg O. who was the lead Web2 developer. Not that I think it is productive to point a finger at Greg since the entire development team had some input, but correct me if Iā€™m wrong, my impression was it was Greg that pushed the idea that Web1 should be left in the dustbin to focus on an all new framework, compatibility be damned.

Nobody knows who it was. And it not really from interest. With two project types it would work. But Xojo did not wanted to do it. There is no doubt that two project types would prevent from both frameworks in the same browser definitely, this answer can not be true. And that was an answer from Geoff Perlman. So it does nothing whether it was Gros or even not. He tried his best and passed away after. Now Xojo has to bring it to a clear good end. Question is: why not two Web product type. Web 1 and Web 2 are such different animals that it would be worth of it from some reasons. Taking care of that Bugs as far as possible would be a good Idea.

I donā€™t recall a call out for any outside input either. Just kill it and switch it.

I guess they seriously underestimated the complexity and amount of work required for Web2 and assumed they would have it up and running within a year after the switch. What they obviously donā€˜t have is a fallback. Now their customers take the fall and they couldnā€™t care less.

1 Like

Itā€™s the same with Android. I believe they underestimated this as well.

1 Like

Something that is in pre-release testing since almost a year has a serious problem.

That I canā€™t understand. How can they underestimate that? Is that really possible for a product development company? Okay, yes it is.