Genius and Europe

Didn’t some genius state that the Green Company is US based and they give a $hit about EU laws? Well …

1 Like

Meta has large data centers in Denmark, Ireland and Sweden so it’s a bit harder for them to stick two fingers up to the EU and say you have no jurisdiction over us.

That’s right, but Meta will save itself again with the prospect of the new act in the summer or the 6-month time window.

But even as a small shack, whoever does business here has to stick to the rules, or just don’t do business. Needless to say, the pursuit is more difficult, but not impossible, and besides, you can easily ban the business here if someone is super smart.

Montana will soon simply ban TikTok, also exciting … no idea how that will be implemented, but less of a problem for the legislator than for the manufacturers … :frowning:

But are they doing business here or are Europeans doing business there?

European consumer law makes no distinctions here, as the services are offered for the EU and also used here. This includes warranty obligations, adequate accounting and compliance with sales tax regulations, data protection and security obligations. Of course, every company is free to technically exclude the European market, which many American media companies, for example, have done.

It is more than questionable whether the few special permits for micro-enterprises (there are no exclusions for GDPR compliancy for instance), will take effect when in doubt. However, there is much more of a risk of liability for those in the EU who knowingly and without notice resell the results of such services to third parties. The situation is different for private users.

Let’s take something simple like the Xojo Cloud. For this, according to EU law, I need an order processing contract with the provider (wherever he is based), because the provider could always technically access the personal data. Inc.'s position is that since they are in the US, they don’t care. That’s true, but then you shouldn’t do business with the EU either, it’s that simple.

This is the way 1password choose for instance:

This is GDPR compliant as the EU recognizes Canada as a destination country with “adequate level of protection” for data privacy. The US => not so much (yet) :wink:

In my personal opinion, this is all nonsense, precisely because Europe does not have its own OS, nor does it have much of its own chips, routers, firewalls, etc. … but that’s another topic. The facts are a gray area, but it is now quite transparent, especially in the direction of the US, that it is a no-go as long as companies do not even care about the smallest implementations. All I know is that no EU legislation is interested in my own thoughts on the topic.

1 Like

But the EU does not have jurisdiction in the USA.

If I were selling software developed in England from a server hosted in England I wouldn’t give a stuff about EU law either.

yes, that’s apparently the good thing with the UK having left the EU. It is simple just don’t sell services to the EU then. As much as Apple won’t able to sell stuff w/o USB-C ports for charging.

Read over the weekend that even Mr Farange thinks that Brexit failed completely, but that’s another, yet related topic. But for the time being most of the former EU contracts are anyways still UK law and not yet revised.

They’re openly saying it: Brexit has failed. But what comes next may be very dark indeed | Jonathan Freedland | The Guardian.

I’d be selling them in England.

Nigel Farage is entitled to his opinion. It’s amusing the same people who dismissed him as a clown ( or worse ) now present him as the Oracle and his opinion is the definitive judgement.

I would suggest the UK voted to leave the EU and we have now left the EU therefore Brexit was 100% successful. Whether or not HMG makes the best use of the opportunities that presents is a different matter to Brexit itself.

In any case, I haven’t changed my mind about Farage (sorry for the typo above): a liar and phony. What is striking, however, is that even this man is questioning the success of Brexit.

But of course every sovereign country has the right to make its own decisions. Unfortunately, it’s just that nationalism is flaring up again everywhere, including in the EU, which is not only outdated, it’s IMHO frightening and extremely dangerous.

In my opinion, the problem for the UK was the lack of monetary union, which cannot work in the long term. Actually, the EU would also need a uniform tax regulation, at least “federal” taxes like in the USA - but I won’t see that in my remaining life time and unfortunately it makes the whole model shaky.

1 Like

The one good thing Gordon Brown did in his career was save UK from the Euro.
You might find this interesting.

negative, let’s agree to disagree :wink:

The UK is a test bed for the concept of national sovereignty outside of the EU framework. It may take another 5 years before final conclusions can be drawn. Meanwhile continentals observe how things evolve in the UK.

:question:
Most countries in the world aren’t in the EU.

Why 5 years? It took the EU twice that long to negotiate a trade deal, even with a friendly, moderate nation like Canada.

Yes, although it is difficult to determine it retrospectively, because each side can calculate the figures for itself and it is also almost impossible to calculate other crises cleanly. Overall it looks like they didn’t do too bad, but on the other hand not too much changed yet.

I still can’t really see the benefit and that what was promised has been implemented. But that may just be me and caused by what’s floating around in my skull. I just don’t see where the Great British Empire became any greater yet. It is a bit like Xojo: overpromising, under-delivering. Had I been a pro-voter, I would very likely have been quite upset. But that is also the zeitgeist, things are being questioned less and less critically.

…speaking of Europe

Everyone may chose their own timescale when looking at political and economical processes.

I think Geoff has made that claim

UK voted to leave the Empire.

It may still be to early for final conclusions. At the end, it is the British citizens’ appreciation that is relevant. We are only observers.
Personally, I am convinced that the EU with all its imperfections (which must corrected) is vital for Europe’s future. History has taught us a lesson and I sincerely hope that it will not be forgotten.

1 Like

Yes, I am big believer in Europe as well but of course many things needs to get adjusted, no doubts. And of course I respect the vote of the UK and I have no right to judge on them, as I’m not a UK citizen. All I am doing is being surprised that apparently a lot has improved. I don’t even see that much has changed.