Closing Topics

Oh… Well thats good.

Sorry, poorly worded. Basically, Xojo announced new (to them) controls. However I am pretty confident that you’ll need to update your projects to API 2.0 DesktopControls to be able to use 'em.

But locking and hiding helps for getting silence for them. And if he does not stop he will be silenced a time and if he then dies not stop he will be silenced for 1000 years. That’s how it works. They don’t want troublemakers which want to provide another meaning than the Company.

Oh, they can do whatever they want. I am just not going to be their customer for much longer. And I may not be the only one who doesn’t buy into that.
In times of the internet you can’t hide much as a company.

Oh, trust me, youre not the only one…

3 Likes

As far as I know: he is not the only one and he will not be the last one. What Norman says always: “And another one bites in the dust”.

Agree. Now Anthony has doubled down on it. A customer can complain, if the company responds positively to their demand or not is a different thing. Friedrich Boettger’s citation was correct and it would have been possible to explain him in a cordial way that his assumption is not shared by Xojo’s management. The speed at which Kem and later Anthony stepped in lets me assume that they took little time to consider Friedrich’s complaint and the consequences of retaliatory action.

Senior managers are supposed to be grown-ups who can defend themselves and handle challenging situations.
Instead I see two MVPs stepping in, wrestling down the complaining customer.
3 observations:

• there is no process in place, a lack of staff training and situations perceived as menacing are handled off the cuff.
  • senior staff tasked with community management and oversight broke down and has let things happen
  • MVPs acting as a special force to silence expression of customer dissatisfaction

Seeing that Xojo Inc. has already exhausted its means of handling customer complaints and reverted to brute force saddens me.

Next logical step: moving TOF to a Facebook Xojo fan page. Done :wink: /sarcasm>

1 Like

As far as Xojo can decide they will decide that nothing negative about Xojo, about the Company behind, about the CEO and about their employees will be in the Support vendor forum. And I can understand it. There is no other way for them hold the forum really clean from this while nobody shall see negative things. That they start hiding stuffs is relatively new and rare. But why ever Anthony was deciding so: he decided what he wanted to decide. That he was doing already before with other people also.So I guess it should be so that Xojo forum is only for good news but not for really bad ones. Nut ro be allowed to do critics is in my eyes a really bad one. But that the company decided or at least Anthony decided and nobody has the right to ask for informations about it or how to get back this thread to the website.

1 Like

Exactly, Xojo can of course do what they want. But not everything you do is necessarily useful.

I always had and still have understanding for moderation. For legal reasons alone, the operator must react within a reasonable time (usually 24 hours are accepted by courts). And at least in Europe, illegal content must also be deleted, physically deleted.

Fortunately, they don’t talk about criminal content at TOF. It’s all about questions, opinions. These can also get out of hand, and it is IMHO actually appropriate to say: Ok, everything said, now let’s close the topic and move on.

But close a topic after 15 minutes? Just stall a topic? For real? That’s madness, especially as all POs had an opinion but addressed it very politely.

But what doesn’t work at all is to add arrogant comments to the topic before closing it. This is not only embarrassing, it is shameful and says a lot about the moderators and the company.

Above all, it shows that the operator does not even have functioning processes for this and no valid quality management.

3 Likes

If they would have a valid quality Management i.E. following IEC ISO 9001 they would have a problem with dopind exactly that. That is a problem while you need to track the customers wishes und needs. That they are not doing at all while they do what they think is the best for the customers. You can’t handle that like this following to the international quality minimum standards but Xojo has none of this standards.
Instead they have the standard: what the company decides is law. Works until it will stop working.

2 Likes

Yes, for example organizing expensive conferences in a luxury hotel. It’s 2022. Old bastards like me have the money and the time to fly somewhere, but I’ve always hated this waste of time and there are really very few, very good conferences. SAP Tech’Eds have often been a positive exception.

But it’s 2022, we still have Corona (even if President Biden declares it over), we still have climate change and detached from it: not only the young generation has realized that it doesn’t make sense to travel halfway around the world only to take part in a conference. Company bosses are also increasingly critical of this, because it also casts a negative light on their own company in terms of carbon footprint, etc.

Xojo could have done an online conference (even during the pandemic), made it free for anyone with a valid license. Finished. Low costs and effort and a very positive effect on the community, which could even be made palatable to the price increase in this way.

Update: why did I like the SAP conferences? Presentations in the morning, hands-on workshops in the afternoon. Real “learning”, separate for newbies and pros. These workshops are rather difficult to run online.
Some workshops in small groups, in which you also have the socializing aspect, and still sober. Of course, you could then deepen this in the evening with the typical buffets and drunken drinks, which are usually the reason why people like to travel to conferences.

2 Likes

There would be the chance to do every half of the year a big Zoom event. Nobody has to travel and the speakers can really comfortable present their show. ZOOM has this possibilities, I know hat while I use it

2 Likes

yup, like the quasar conference for instance: QuasarConf 2022 - YouTube

One example of MANY. Available for eternity. Comments open and yes, they have stupid ones as well: Do they moderate those, does any user comment on them? Nope, never feed the troll, done.

Interesting as well that people are complaining about the resolution. I do agree though. Many conferences have bad recording quality, but I have never seen people complaining in 2022: Hey, stupid online conferences, why can’t we meet in a fancy hotel in the middle of nowhere and charge everyone a fortune :slight_smile:

The entire point is: that is not out in the community. If you believe it is a troll: do not answer and leave him alone in his shit. But here people are answering. Well, I am not better. But. When answering the troll is needed and becomes more active and more active. Not answering is one of the best methods.

But in the situation viewing on Xojo Forum I want to say that it is another situation. The cited thread is not made by a troll. Its made by a user which was covered with a disrespecting answer by the moderators. Trolls are one thing., What the are doing has not to do with trolls. Indeed I guess they will not change their policy. One difference in Quasar Forum is by default that they are not in the need that nobody says anything negative, If someone finds the UI ugly then it is his meaning and what he thinks. I would say: something like taste is nothing we could discuss about

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been to several XDC where they’ve been recorded. I, and several of my employees, did sessions at these XDC’s. IIRC there was a release form for speakers and one year a speaker backed out because they didn’t wish to be recorded. Attendees of the conference got the recordings as part of the package.

This discussion of making the recordings available for free comes up a fair bit after XDC’s. I believe it would be beneficial to make them public but I’ve heard several reasons why Xojo won’t do it. First, it could possibly hurt attendance to the event itself. Why spend big $$ when you get the videos for free.

Second, Xojo makes these events ‘revenue neutral’ meaning they don’t make money or lose money on them. Which, to me, is insane thinking because it’s the one event of the year to market the shit out of your product to as many people as possible. That should be part of the budget.

The other thing that happens at these events is it’s an internal work/play week for Xojo employees. Since they’re all over the world it’s where they gather, talk about their upcoming work, and then they have some team building events (not event related). So the price of admission helps offset those internal events too.

The other thing that’s always annoyed me about XDC is the venue. They typically pick a very pricey venue and then do some very pricey events/dinners. When I ran ARBP (Association of RealBasic Professionals) we held 2 conferences when Xojo decided the economy was too bad to hold them. In one we held it at the company offices of a Xojo consultant in Boulder, CO. The 2nd we did at a Holiday Inn in Atlanta. We recorded the sessions and made them available (for a small fee) to anyone who wanted them. I think we asked $200 for attendees and IIRC the speakers didn’t pay anything. The association did lunch and then dinner was on attendees. I believe (but then I’m biased) that the ARBP events were just as informative, useful, and fun as the way more expensive XDC’s. I’ve been to several MBS events that I think are better than XDC’s too and they’re not very expensive either.

So to beat this dead horse some more, they charge a premium price for the conferences AND the videos because they don’t want to lose much money rather than thinking it’s a sunk marketing cost/opportunity. Meanwhile, they market to citizen developers that can’t afford such premium pricing. I’ve never understood their marketing but then I’m not their target audience.

8 Likes

First of all: it is very important to me that I didn’t want to imply that anyone in these threads was a troll, on the contrary!

About Quasar: yes, there is a lot to say about it, because you can of course develop your own themes.

This is about as much effort as with Xojo, but you can of course completely change the design by changing the CSS.

There is even a separate point in the config where you can change the theme. Plus he forgets the whole “strategy” behind quasar: making one tool compiling for all platforms. Would be pretty hard to offer tons of designs out-of-the-box and to work everywhere. I prefer that they stay focused and don’t overpromise, and if you want to change a theme for one platform => use CSS.

Of course, you have to have dealt with the topic and at least skimmed through the documentation. This gentleman on youtube hasn’t gone through that due diligence, and is as such ignored and classified as a troll ;-).

Exactly, I’ve never understood that either, especially as I’ve always seen it as the Xojo users being down to earth and not overly interested in a high priced venue.

Geoff: Xojo is a high class company.... we cater to the Ritz, NOT a lowly "Hoilday Inn"

Unless if the trolls are actually some moderators :thinking:

1 Like