Big Sur first impression

For beta testing macOS I always use a real computer. Much more fun this way.

You have to download a little app from the developer site.

@MarkusWinter: as scientist making money isn’t important to you, correct?

Tracking is what makes advertising lucrative.

Yeah, but by the same logic crystal meth is what makes drugs lucrative …

Just because everyone is addicted to “easy money” doesn’t mean it should stay this way.

2 Likes

Yup. Never cared, never will.

(that’s also why I write for xDev - takes me between 3 and 14 days to write my articles for an absolute pittance)

Well, when I was working at Opel I was paid very well for sitting in the office. Since I left the company I have this weird interest in having money for groceries. I also don’t want to sleep under the bridge. Part of that is knowing how many visitors my website has.

Dropbox doesn’t work. It doesn’t even start. The last year I had some problems with Dropbox in the early Catalina betas and got some nice brush-off by the support. So good-bye Dropbox.

It might be worthwhile reporting that bug to Apple with a small sample application so that we don’t have to rely on a fix from Xojo.

Nope, not going to report the bug to Apple. The min version for BS will be 2020r1. The bug report from Xojo is already closed.

Because I’m going to have to change some things for 2020r1 for the htmlviewer I’m going the NSTableView route. Only 2 of my listboxes are affected.

WOW! I didn’t notice this. It seems these functions will finally allow for customization of the Header without having to build one from scratch. Something I’ve wanted since day 1! (Sadly, though, that single item isn’t enough for me to upgrade. If/When Web2.0 comes out, we’ll see…

I got a VM in VMWare upgraded from 10.15 to 11.0, but I had to add 20 GB to the hard disk, so the installer would let me install it.

Yea I got it to work after some battle on the VMware, but had to do the passthrough thing that some article advised.

(And after some hours of more drama and struggles I got it to run on the ESXi server, so all is perfect now)

Hi Bjorn.

Out of interest, was this a server running VSphere?

Kev.

It only runs ESXi (the Free version)

First impressions are that I like the new look. It feels refreshed yet familiar. It’s too buggy to be used as a daily driver though if anyone is considering it.

Annoyingly Visual Studio for Mac is unusable.

Personally, I welcome this. I just hate advertisements and do as much as I can to not watch/hear them, always.
Can’t think tricking someone’s thoughts is a good thing ever.
Tracking isn’t better, as I can do things alone, no need to be observed for that.

1 Like

Some of the websites (NOT Beatrix’s!) have gotten quite bad with all the popups, overlays, and so forth. Getting to actual content sometimes feels like this:
Fight scene from "Airplane"

Shirley you jest :slight_smile:

The translucency has gotten ridiculous. If a window has a dark background then the selected folder in the sidebar isn’t visible at all:

1 Like

I also love the lack of information density, I can now see half as many files in a column in Finder than before. Especially helpful on a 12". :frowning:

1 Like

Apples just being considerate of those with eyesight issues :slight_smile:

1 Like