Advice on a possible laptop "upgrade"

too small :stuck_out_tongue:
I literally have one of these sitting behind me in a box until the new MBP 16 arrives

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC43J890DKNXZA-CHG90-Curved-Monitor/dp/B07CT1T7HH

The CEO I work for informed me that “this one is too small now” and he would like us all to have

Now you are just bragging! LOL

Hire me!!!

(you can fire me again after I got my monitor)

But seriously, I have a 34in widescreen and still ten desktops between which I switch …

I bought the 43 because that was the one he told me to get :stuck_out_tongue:
He was coming here for a work trip so we needed a monitor for him
That of course got cancelled

And now he’s seen these 49 and the other days said thats what to get for when he comes (hopefully in the fall)

We’ll see :slight_smile:

I’m hoping we can get to the point where hiring isa requirement in the next year
That would be a really nice milestone to get to

There are days my head is about to explode with everything in progress :stuck_out_tongue:

The problems I have with purchasing any of the wide screen monitors are:

1. They are not sold locally so I have to import it myself, which of course is a risky business. I’m willing to bet $600-$700 on the monitor arriving in one piece but not $1500.

2. I don’t have $1500 for a monitor :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah if you cannot get one locally that its possible to inspect & even return its probably not worth the risk

I bought mine second-hand locally at a good price - very happy with it.

Only problem I have is that I now have even more windows and apps open (I’m a hoarder of useful information, so Safari has over a thousand tabs open now, but my old Mac Pro (2010) can handle it just fine). The only problem under Sierra was that all desktops would coalesce into one after a restart, and it took half an hour to get it all sorted again. But no problem since Mojave …

I completely understand the information hoarding, I find myself with 20+ tabs open all the time.

I would like to be able to purchase a second hand wide screen monitor but they are unicorns around here :frowning:

Similar here in New Zealand - you have to set up a search on eBay or the small ads and hope one comes up … which is quite possible with the economic hit …

That’s a good idea! I’ll try using the facebook marketplace since it has become the go to place here for that kind of stuff.

Bookmarks man !

just a thought, instead of a monitoring… what about a projector?

here a 4K projector is as expensive as one of those wide screen monitors
but its an interesting idea for sure

EDIT : hmmm working while sitting outdoors next to a camp fire might get me in trouble but … :+1:

I do have a projector, even have one of those super portable projectos but it is one more thing to carry around.

take a look at pico projectors. very small in size

I have this one:
(mouse on top for size reference)

16GB to 8GB (soldered in RAM) is not an upgrade. Modern macOS versions do NOT handle memory as well as they used to do so, so I’d expect you to very quickly run into slow downs (and/or crashes) with the “newer” machine as it simply will not be able to cope with the tasks that you can currently perform.

I agree with you that “upgrading” to newer Apple hardware is now a daunting experience, instead of exciting. My last attempt turned out to be a complete waste of my time, although Apple got some FREE Q/A testing out of me. If I have the same experience again, I’ll just return the damn machine and not even bother spending my time trying to figure out and report the issues with it.

At this point, I really don’t know what to do either. I don’t know how much longer this 2012 rMBP will last, and I simply can’t expect a newer machine to be as stable or reliable (mainly because the software is so broken). I’ve even seen a report that the “Magic” keyboards on the 16" devices are starting to fail like the Butterfly keyboards. Which is really really sad. The failure rate may be a lot less than the butterfly keyboards, but it might still be higher than the pre-2016 keyboards, combined with the hefty “repair” cost…

The only semi-sensible option is an iMac, as they haven’t been updated for over a year, so in theory they should still be able to run macOS 10.14, and have upgrade RAM and storage.

I just don’t like the idea of being tied to the desk all of the time, nor that Apple’s earning extra cash, by not updating these machines, and not cutting the price as the components are cheaper to make.

I am running 10.14 on a 2019 i9 27" iMac . It’s my primary machine. You can install your own RAM on a 27" but not on the smaller model.

When I needed a laptop on short notice in 2018 because I was going to have to do some traveling, I could not justify the cost of an Apple for a secondary computer, never mind the keyboard issues, so I got a Windows convertible.

-karen

1 Like

If my machine does die tomorrow, that’s what I’ll be getting and installing the RAM myself. It’s not just slightly cheaper to do so, it’s incredibly cheaper to do so. I’ve even seen people who buy the machine with the “Fusion” dive and replace the SSD to save even more money (albeit it invalidates the warranty now).

Sadly, because all my dev work is for Mac, a Windows device wouldn’t help (I use far too much of the built-in Apple API). I’d like to give Windows a try now that Mac is so bad, but I don’t know how long it would take me to port the fundamentals of my apps over to Windows API.

If Apple released a real 16" MacBook Pro this summer, with 10th gen chips, better fit and finish, more ports and better refresh rate display, replaceable keyboard and hopefully up-gradable components, I’d suffer Catalina’s issues. Be nice if Apple could fix the Touchbar, so it becomes more usable to existing users. As it is, Apple’s laptops are incredibly bad value for money. You can simply get faster, more reliable devices with better components and build quality for a lot less money (except Trackpads).

Heck, maybe if 10.16 is a Snow version, where some of the lost performance and issues with the OS can be fixed, that might sway me.

But I’m not holding my breath for either. I think the fundamental issue is, as long as Apple is making enough money doing what it’s currently doing, they’re not going to correct these growing number of issues. Took 'em 4 years to address the keyboards and even then, it’s not over as they still can’t be easily/cheaply replaced.

Sorry, rant over.