Xojos target audience …

Indeed - amended my post

In 70322 he states that he would be out of business with such code. The thing is, he comes off like he’s about 12 years old. That would make him a very young entrepreneur. :slight_smile:

No useful information was required, such as which Xojo version or the host platform (I’ve sure never seen it on Mac.) If an “issue” is really just trolling, it’s debatable whether a response is really required.

If you search the name as author you can find 3 bug reports from 12 years ago, 2 from 2 years ago, 1 from 2 months, 1 from 3 weeks, 1 from 2 days and 2 from 16 hours ago.

Well, that does establish that he’s older.

He knows by now that any bug that is not reproducible 100 with exact steps is just ignored. Why waste time writing “useful information”?

And most reproducible, confirmed bugs are ‘archived’.

1 Like

Oh those cases are mostly definitely rants
No question

No response about what version what OS etc just seems like just trying to ignore the problem in the hope it will go away

I wouldnt say most - but there are a non-zero # that are
Why a reproducible bug gets archived is beyond me

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/?sort=created_date&state=opened&label_name[]=Bug&label_name[]=Reproducible&label_name[]=Archived&first_page_size=20

Your search is for open AND archived?

And I closed myself a case this week. It was for web 1, which is no longer relevant.

I say most, check it.

Search pattern is ‘Bug’ AND ‘Reproducible’ AND ‘Archived’

The bot evaluates only one parameter: last a activity date. An issue is closed when it has been inactive for two years. It ignores any other context.

Oh, I get that. Don’t mistake me for an apologist. But in my own customer service experience, while I always strive for my best effort, I find that I do my best (and can even think most clearly) when treated with a little courtesy. :slight_smile:

Edit: and by this point, the guy was just being an ass.

Maybe he is just frustrated and has no idea how to solve the issue. When aiming at citizen developers as a customer base, one must be prepared for this.
I would have tried to coax him into providing helpful information.
Maybe the guys at Xojo just don’t have enough time for that.

1 Like

It’s clear he was frustrated. But looking in his history, I still saw more heat than light. Still, you are right. I am reminded of a prior customer service job in which I was ostensibly guiding folks through using their digital camera software. It quickly became clear that I was actually teaching them how to use their computer in the first place. To give you an idea how long ago this was, I had to tell them that the photos looked bad because their displays were set to 256 colors . But, over the phone, I had to figure that out from the rants. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just copied the link from the search I did bugs that are reproducible and archived

No
State is what ASPECT are you looking at (open closed, all)

I’ve fixed the URL for you

https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/?sort=created_date&state=all&label_name[]=Bug&label_name[]=Reproducible&label_name[]=Archived&first_page_size=50

One reason that “Can you send me a video of you reproducing this ?” became a common request
So many times steps would be skipped missed etc that video was actually about the quickest way to see everything relevant
Not always - some took great care to writ excellent bug reports
But often enough

1 Like

There is often something they’re not telling you. :slight_smile:

I remember trying to talk a late family member through something. I said "Do A and B, and tell me EXACTLY what the error message says. He came back with “I did C and D and it just said a bunch of confusing stuff.”

Always reminded me of the IT joke

Hi this is tech support how can I help you ?
My computer isn’t working right and I can’t get my email
What seems to be the problem ?
I dont think it can get on the internet
Is the cable to the back of the computer plugged in ?
Let me check. Oh I cant see very well
Turn on a light ?
Oh I cant. The powers out !

ugh

while this joke has been relayed many times in many variations the sentiment is common enough

:slight_smile:

A video , esp one from something like Rewind, was often crucial as there was some detail that wasnt relayed
NOT ALWAYS but it certainly made the difference enough times