Xojo is made for Mac Development

Who’s still at the company that designed an iMac so thin, they had to put the headphone jack on the side? The designer who was accredited for some of the best products designs in the world, or the guy who cut operational and supply chain costs?

Cook is the captain of the ship, it is his responsibility to ensure the ship sails in the right direction.

Apple being investigated for anti-trust and abuse of power by 5 different governments, that doesn’t worry you?

Have you read anything from the Epic v.s. Apple trial? Any of the internal e-mails from Apple’s VPs? It is really quite sad to see what they think of us developers, and Apple fans. Cook isn’t your friend, you’re just a number to him.

4 Likes

Actually that is a better spot for that than on the back. (easier to reach)

But yes I think thinness for a desktop machine is not important.

-Karen

Do I have complaints about Apple Design?
Sure… the thinness for one, those stupid colors, T2 and the over-emphasis on security

Do I have kudos for Apple Design?
Yes… starting with the M1 (and soon the M2)… amongst other things

Do I have Kudos for Microsoft?
Uhmmmm… can’t think of any, sorry.

1 Like

I never had Kudos for Microsoft. Always for Unix and Linux. With the new M1 CPU I changed to Apple because the CPU and the GPU are fitting all my needs. So I have really Kudos for that Chip Design with low energy consumption and with that speed.

For Microsoft: Nothing cause it was never a good Operating System. Stolen by Gates & Co from CP/M made by digital research and a few Changes on it delivered to IBM for their first PC Line. At that time I could already buy Apple II with Apple Basic and a CP/M Card. Running. And so it was going on. First Ideas of graphical User interface both where steeling from Xerox Parc after they investigated (Jobs and Gates) Xerox Star Workstations with a graphical User interface and - wow - a mouse for a computer much before Apple. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Xerox_Star_8010_workstations.jpg

That was in the early 70th and the 60th. Apple came with Apple I and Apple II and - between 81 and 84 and so years after the first computer with graphical user interface - with Lisa. So both had let me say the same starting situation. Apple and Microsoft had the same informations and the same Idea-bench from Xerox PARC. And they have done something.

Microsoft builded much later the first Windows Versions to kick Apple from the Table and Unix had the Xfree86 implementation mostly for scientific or CAD. So Apple was relatively alone in that market. While Windows had real success starting from 3 Apple had to do something and they developed MacOS X. That is the System we have today and it is - looking on Microsofts Garbage - much better and working with it much more silent.

So there can not be any kudos for Mr. Gates and his Microsoft Drama. It is Microsoft, the Bluescreen Company. And that will not change for Windows 11.

It’s not really stealing if they paid for it.

Fun fact: Apple Basic was licensed from Microsoft.

The mouse and the basic concepts of a GUI were developed in the 1960’s by a team under Doug Englebart at Stanford.

2 Likes

All true but side effects. The licensing of basic for apple ii is known

No, Apple stealed nothing in that case. Check your sources.

Apple was not inventing graphical user interfaces. The fundamental Idea Jobs had after Xerox Parc Visit. In more then one Interview he said that.

1 Like

Apple did but a license to use the technology… the only company to do so.

1 Like

Xerox even bought 100,000 shares of Apple as part of the deal didnt they ?
And folks like Alan Kay moved from Parc to Apple later on

Yes that’s true: they made a deal long time after the Ice-Steeling. And they made it while they have done it of coarse long time before MS.

erm… that’s a bit like saying that Tesla didn’t innovate because wheels had been used since pre-history and some kind of non-horse driven carriage were developed in the 1800s. That argument is getting old now. It’s one thing to have an idea; it’s another to actually create it as a commercial and successful product that ends up revolutionising the entire sector.

They only ‘paid’ for it after several years of litigation and threatening to pull office for Mac.

Apple Basic ≠ Mac. If you ever used the Apple II, you’d have no confusion about that :wink:
On the other hand, code from Mac OS was found verbatim in Windows 95, which is what led to the many years of litigation, that was finally settled with a 1-off payment and not pulling Office for Mac…

Just a bit of history :wink:

Ah ok, got it! So it’s companies like Philips that can take credit for inventing the light bulb, not Thomas Edison :wink:

1 Like

or did he?

US inventor Thomas Edison is often credited with creating the solution in 1879: the carbon filament light bulb. Yet the British chemist Warren de La Rue had solved the scientific challenges nearly 40 years earlier.

Edison didn’t “invent” the light bulb, he just improved upon it

1 Like

I did know that, but I didn’t want to complicate things :wink:

What possible point could you be trying to make by saying the “concept” was described 20-30 years earlier, other that belittling not only the technical effort but also the effort to change computer culture to a GUI.

The reason I say this is a tired argument is I’ve been hearing it since the late 80s and although it never made sense it makes even less sense now.

The implications of such statements (as you well know) is that somehow Apple “stole” the idea and “struck big” on someone else’s efforts.

When I’m fact, as you well know, Apple licensed the idea and created a tangible paradigm that shifted the computer industry, against the culture at the time, when anything that didn’t use the command line was at best considered a toy.

As for your latter comment I was unaware that Philips claims to have invented the light bulb. That’s as daft as saying Edison invented it.

On that note neither Apple or anyone else claim that Apple “invented” the concept of GUI. But they did invent their implementation of it, which largely influenced all other platforms.

Not quite true. Apple BASIC was done at Apple. It was AppleSoft BASIC that was licensed from Microsoft.

Apple did NOT licensed the idea and Xerox had created already a tangible paradigm.

So, tesla claimed that they innovate for using wheels? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, that is only your biased thinking then.

what @charonn0 was talking about is that Bill gates did not stole the GUI from Apple because apple did not invented in the first place. If you undertood that he wrote “Apple stole the idea”, that is only your biased thinking then.

Exactly, And that can be said about everything. It is an iteration build on someone else’s idea. You pick the event from the timeline of an idea where someone commercializes it as the invention time, I prefer picking the event where someone has the brilliant first insight for something completely new. Just a matter of opinion my friend, nothing to stress about :wink:

I did not say ‘Bill Gates stole the GUI’. I said MS stole actual code.
Apple using the idea from Xerox PARC and and microsoft stealing it ware quite different things. At worse, Apple can be accused of using someone else’s idea.

However, verbatim Apple code was found in Windows and was the basis for a prolonged legal fight which ended in a settlement years later. IIRC the settlement was for something like $150M at the time, and not pulling MS office from the apple platform.

It’s not that Microsoft ‘used Apple’s idea’ - that’s ludicrous claim as Apple did not come up with the idea (although many things like modifier-key-C to copy, -V and -X for paste/cut all originated on the original Mac in 1984). MS actually stole Apple code and used it verbatim. A fact that is often overlooked when Windows supporters dip into a bit of Apple-bashing…