Xojo IDE is API1?

Are you saying that Python 2 to Python 3 was just a renaming exercise like Xojo’s? Or that they didn’t introduce and improve a lot of features that Pros wanted? Or that they didn’t fix a ton of bugs? Or that they censored the forum, drove away or banned a lot of Pro developers? And do they now charge a lot of money?

No? Then what the hell are you comparing?

If you want to make an argument, then you need to do better.

And you need to calm down a bit.

Sure, Python 2→3 was a different animal. But Python 3 introduced also new bugs. I took this as an example to show that other languages change their API from time to time as well.

You don’t need to update the API to do bugfixes and visa versa.

Imho it’s far better to first change the API, map it to the old functions and then, slowly fix bugs and map the new API to the improved function. This prevents that legacy code breaks.

You all know that they don’t have the manpower to do both - improve the API AND rewrite buggy parts. And thats fair enough to go step by step.

Since Greg left and Ricardo may need time to learn, that project may be on hold. Or they find a better solution…

I am definitely not a fan of Xojo Inc and their decisions. But I know what it takes to maintain a complex software with a small team and a broad userbase with different preferences and priorities.

Therefore sometimes we just need to take a step back, appreciate the work they do and trust, that they aren’t complete nuts, which means, most of the time they know what they do and why.

In fact, meanwhile my own company growed bigger than Xojo Inc. and I can still totaly relate what it takes to decide between different fractions of your customers and your limited execution power.

1 Like

Like Github or any other open source software ticket system

1 Like